hello

Options
Surzy
Surzy Posts: 6 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
Hi folks, i've been lurking and reading for a little while and have been really inspired by your posts.

I've recently been referred to a weight loss service with my local provider. With a suggested date of June 2016 for my WLS if i choose to down that route. I'm still 'umming and ahhing' over it if i'm honest as it all seems a bit scary and a few of the friends that i have discussed it with have been quite dismissive about it - the usual 'it's a cop out' lines. I'm sure you heard them too :(

So I decided to see what I could do with a little structured help - after trying and failing many times over the years......

Starting weight 157.5kg.

I have no co-morbidities (doctor always seems surprised by my lack of other medical issues!), but very painful knees and back. I avoid a lot of social situations and days out as i'm terrified of the embarrasment or having to subject someone to sitting next to me on a train or in a car for a long while while i encroach on their space. If i do go out i opt to be the designated driver!!

I ploughed weight on after a motorbike accident and also through depression and compulsive eating.

I've been using MFP for a few weeks now to track my calories and macros - keeping around a 1300 cal per day rate - but not being overly strict about it as it's a big defecit for my current rate - it allows me a bit of wiggle room and takes the pressure off a bit if i feel the need to go over.

I'm using a diet plate to help me with portion control also. And i've been adopting mindfullness techniques to help with my depression/overeating - which has really helped me.

I had my first official weigh in on Tuesday after a month - coming in at 149.4kg!!

I was over the moon!!

Is there anything that you wish you'd known before your surgery that you know now that you would pass on as advice?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It took me a few years to come around to accepting that surgery was the right path for me. What turned me around primarily was when my arthritic hips started to really limit my ability to do the athletic things I like to do. Once my mind was ready, I jumped into the bariatric pre-surgery diet with both feet. I was very disciplined and lost a ton of weight in the five month prep period for the surgery. Part of my program was establishing and following an exercise plan, which put me into great shape when I had my surgery.

For those of us with more to lose (I lost 180 pounds), I am convinced that the more you lose pre-surgery, the easier it will be to hit your goal within the honeymoon period (6-9 months post surgery) when you have the hormonal changes working for you in addition to the restriction.

So, my advice to you is to continue your fantastic progress pre-surgery and adopt as many of the post-surgery habits and behavio(u)rs you will need. You will have less to lose post-surgery and the behavioral changes will be easier since you have been working them before the surgery.

Also, do as much exercise as you are able. I am convinced that a lot of the reason that my post-surgery experience was relatively easy was that I was in good shape when i hit the table.

Read a lot here (click on "All Discussions" to see previous pages of topics), and add friends at all stages of the process. That way you will have insight into the day to day stuff that goes on. Realize that no one will be able to predict your path through the process, but that you will likely fall somewhere in between the best and worst stories you will read. Get ready for a wild ride!

All the best,

Rob
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hi! The biggest question you have to ask yourself is, "Is this the right choice for me?" In my case, my surgeon felt I was a perfect candidate for surgery because I had become insulin-resistant, which was why I could exercise and cut calories back extensively and still not get anywhere weight-loss-wise.

I have at least one work acquaintance who more or less told me that surgery was a cop-out. I've lost 92 lbs., am on no medication (except my vitamins) and tested with a 0.04% chance of having a heart attack within the next 10 years at my last work physical. Meanwhile, the acquaintance is exercising obsessively every morning (it is literally part of her work routine in the mornings), weighs easily close to or over 300 lbs., and hasn't made one notch in her weight loss since we talked prior to my surgery.

I don't fault her her own choice - it's apparently what is right for her - but I know that my choice was right for me and my physician agreed.

Either way, keep up the fantastic work! Whether you decide to proceed or not, you will have a support system on this board.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I second what Rob and cmchandler said... they both offer great advice! The advice I always give people is follow the plan! Just do what your surgeon and his team have laid out for you. It's pretty simple, and it will really help ensure your success. Also remember you are not alone. Your surgeon and his team are there for you even post surgery, so take advantage of anything they have to offer such as nutritional counseling, support groups, etc., and remember it's always ok to call on them for help. This group is a great resource too. It has been one of the constants for me since I had surgery over two years ago. You will learn so much from people who are at all stages of pre- and post-surgery. You are doing great, and here's to continued success for you, whatever path you choose!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that's been said. My pulmonolgist originally recommended I consider surgery and sent me to a nearby Bariatric Center of Excellence's orientation. I came away thinking it seemed like an extreme measure, and it's still about calaries in and calories out, so it must be a character flaw on my part (if I could just stick to a diet better and work out harder I'd be o.k.). After two years I hadn't made much progress. Someone I knew and respected at work pulled me aside one day and told me that she had been my size once, that surgery had changed her life, and that I should consider it. That made the concept seem more "normal", so I went back to the same orientation and came away with a completely different take. I decided surgery was right for me and started the process. Interestingly, while all my other medical providers had counseled me to lose weight, none had suggested surgery until I brought it up, and to a person they enthusiastically supported my decision and said I'd be a good candidate. Six months later I had my RNYGB. It's been one year, I've lost 145 pounds, and resolved most of my co-morbities (sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, knee & back pain, etc.). I feel great. I don't really feel constrained in any way, I eat mostly protein and produce and don't desire (or miss) carbs. I'm not hungry, I am in control. It may get harder as I move into maintenance, but I feel like my medical team and support groups like this one have prepared me for the future. This has been one of the best decisions of my life. I credit that co-worker with perhaps saving my life by "coming out" to me. You'll have to decide what's best for you - but this group and some of the old threads can answer a lot of questions.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Here you will find some great advice and support, as you can see by previous comments. I am in the beginning of my journey with surgery on the 23rd. I have had some negative comments but I think many people are uninformed or just plain negative. One thing that helped me was support meetings. My surgeon has a monthly meeting with post and pre-op folks and they are happy to answer all questions and you may just find a few positive friends to add to your life. Most places offer them and I would highly recommend it. It took me years to make this decision and I tried everything to do it on my own. I would lie if I said it doesn't scare me a little but the more informed I've become the more I'm sure about my decision. Its all an individual journey.