Breakdown diet

Options
How do you force yourself to eat healthy, regular and smaller portions when you've just had/trying to escape a mental breakdown, lost a job and been dumped all within 2 weeks and live alone with no support and mobility problems? How do you stop emotional eating when you're just trying to survive?

Replies

• iheartcookies2
    iheartcookies2 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hey! When such things happen the most important thing is to try to heal and to be enourmously KIND to oneself. Don't force yourself to do anything and take one day at a time :) Eventually things will get better (been there, done that this April, and took a three months break to heal ) and then you will have strenght and will to continue. Take care, and if you need extra support you can add me. :)
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Recognise that this is something that YOU can take control of. A breakdown, job loss... those things are often largely out of your hands. But what you put into your body, how you treat yourself, that is something that you can control. And if no one else is taking care of you, then you'll just have to take extra care of yourself :)
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Sending you hugs! Keep posting here, even if it's just to vent!!!
  • nizugan
    nizugan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, it does sound tough.

I have at least three of the same problems, and when these things happen simultaneously it can be easy to feel jealous of "the lucky person that has plenty of income and can afford home gym equipment, as well as gourmet / healthy / portion controlled food, etc."

It has recently dawned on me that a big part of emotional / stress eating is very similar to having an alcohol / cocaine / cigarette / heroin addiction. The food is digested and in the process, dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain begin to create an addiction. It gets to the point where the brain and/or chemical levels in the body begin to betray / extort us into the eating behavior that does us so much long term harm.

Once you KNOW this, it can empower you to equate the brief pleasure of eating with "smoking a cigarette" or "scoring some heroin," and it makes it much easier to get through the 10 - 15 - 30 minute discomfort of "temporary" or "apparent" hungers.

Send us an update on your situation!
  • nizugan
    nizugan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    katnoir1 wrote: »
    Recognise that this is something that YOU can take control of. A breakdown, job loss... those things are often largely out of your hands. But what you put into your body, how you treat yourself, that is something that you can control. And if no one else is taking care of you, then you'll just have to take extra care of yourself :)

Well said!
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Baby steps....... focus on one habit you want to change, work at it until it becomes second nature then start working on another habit. Repeat forever. I hope your situation improves quickly.
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    first recognize how you use food to cope.. fully. it sounds tough.. but try add in some activities that make you feel fulfilled in your day.. even if its as simply as getting out for a twenty min walk.. I remember survival mode in an major depression I had a few years back... my only achievement for the day was literally that walk.. start from there and do not for guilty for the rest because it will just make it worse...build up .. I hope you feel better soon