My first fatbomb=sour stomach

Options
ms_smartypants
ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
I made my first fatbomb last night (peanutbutter cups) with Lindt 85% cocoa and stevia in the raw and right after I ate it I got a sour stomach ...Is that normal?

Replies

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried any fat bombs yet so I'm not sure....hopefully someone knows and gets you an answer.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably just not used to consuming so much fat in one meal yet. It takes a while for your stomach not to be bothered by high fat content. This is why many of the members of this group recommend you start with smaller doses of fat (like coconut oil) to avoid not only the stomach issues, but occasionally the bathroom issues they might cause. Sorry to hear that the fat bomb made your tummy unhappy though!! :/ If I may ask, what ingredients did you use to make it?
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Your body is probably just not used to consuming so much fat in one meal yet. It takes a while for your stomach not to be bothered by high fat content. This is why many of the members of this group recommend you start with smaller doses of fat (like coconut oil) to avoid not only the stomach issues, but occasionally the bathroom issues they might cause. Sorry to hear that the fat bomb made your tummy unhappy though!! :/ If I may ask, what ingredients did you use to make it?

I drink a cup of bulletproof coffee daily and I must say it taste soooo much better than my old sugary vanilla cream and I have no problem with that ..... for the fat bombs I used 4 Tbsp. of organic coconut oil .... 4Tbsp of natural peanutbutter...1.5 Tbsp of cream cheese.....1Tbsp of Torani sugarfree vanilla syrup....1sp. of cocoa powder (unsweetened) 3 squares of lindt excellence 85% cocoa extra dark bar and 2 packets of stevia in the raw and about 5 to 10 minutes after I ate it I got a sour tummy not like your usual tummy ache ...it lasted between 45 mintues to an hour
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was associated with all the artificial sweetener? That sounds like it would have been very sweet since the torani already has sweetener, and the pb is sweet too, I would lose the stevia...
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have had one bite of a fat bom , way back in April. I didn't like the taste, and haven't tried anymore since. I don't recall sour stomach. Imo, you are dealing with a combination of what each of these Pals mentioned. Maybe half at a time, to ease into the cats, and drop the sweetener, for now. The recipe ideas sound good though.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I have had one bite of a fat bom , way back in April. I didn't like the taste, and haven't tried anymore since. I don't recall sour stomach. Imo, you are dealing with a combination of what each of these Pals mentioned. Maybe half at a time, to ease into the cats, and drop the sweetener, for now. The recipe ideas sound good though.

I didn't really like any I had ever made either, except the cream cheese/pepperoni appetizer I made for a party.
    But we started treating my daughters ADD naturally and CO is part of the plan. For breakfast every morning she drinks a magnesium supplement, takes B12 and fish oil, but we were having trouble figuring out how to get her the CO.
    So, I mixed some with PB2 and poured it on top of a thin layer of melted dark chocolate in a candy mold (pumpkin was all I had) and now she eats 2 of these peanut butter cups for breakfast! lol
    They are really good! No sweetener added or needed! Even my sugar burner son loves them!
    jflh360u4dno.jpeg
    vy3jsi83xdoo.jpeg
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    Maybe it was associated with all the artificial sweetener? That sounds like it would have been very sweet since the torani already has sweetener, and the pb is sweet too, I would lose the stevia...

It was more bitter than sweet .... the pb isn't sweet at all its just unsalted peanuts grinded up ...the chocolate is also bitter too (I think I got the wrong one)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

It was more bitter than sweet .... the pb isn't sweet at all its just unsalted peanuts grinded up ...the chocolate is also bitter too (I think I got the wrong one)

My kids tell me my chocolate tastes bitter, (86% Lindt) even the one that actually likes dark chocolate. But it tastes totally sweet to me. I have really put great effort into changing my taste preferences. I was a candy addict in my pre Keto life. Lol So it's been really important to me to lose my taste for sweets.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Taste some stevia separately. To me it just tastes overwhelming - but many people describe it as bitter. I bet you'll recognize the taste if you eat it separately.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm with @neohdiver! The Stevia is the most likely culprit! I couldn't stand the taste (it is acquired, just like anything else) at first. I did add it to my coffee for a while, but now have acquired the taste without if.
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »

Taste some stevia separately. To me it just tastes overwhelming - but many people describe it as bitter. I bet you'll recognize the taste if you eat it separately.

Thanks Neohdiver I just tried it on its own and yup that is the culprit as soon as I tasted it I got that sour stomach ...so needless to say my fatbombs are in the garbage I will have to find a different kind of sweetner
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »

Thanks Neohdiver I just tried it on its own and yup that is the culprit as soon as I tasted it I got that sour stomach ...so needless to say my fatbombs are in the garbage I will have to find a different kind of sweetner

Try it without the sweetener. You seriously may not need it. There is sweetener in the torani.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about Equal or splenda. Are they keto friendly?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    What about Equal or splenda. Are they keto friendly?

All of the powder sweeteners, including stevia are 1g per packet. So you can use a different one if you prefer.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was associated with all the artificial sweetener?

That was my thought too. Some people are extremely sensitive to certain sugar substitutes. You may be one of them. :'(

• lrosemoore1
    lrosemoore1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hate chemicals, I'd just use a teeny amt. of sugar, or nothing. I tried bulletproof coffee and was nauseated all morning. I tried with butter alone and had the same effect. Maybe it takes baby steps. For now I'll slather celery with cream cheese.