Bad breath

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
Let me start by saying that i have never had this problem before :confounded: This is most embarrassing!

I've only been doing low carb for less than a week, not keto, and the last couple of days my husband has commented on the breath issue... Is this normal when eating lower carbs?

One thing i have noticed is that yesterday (Thursday) my protein was mega high, higher than fat. I have dialed it down today. Could the high protein be contributing?

Please tell me this will get better, i refuse to live with bad breath.

My diary is open

Replies

• sweetsriracha23
    sweetsriracha23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bad breath is very normal. It gets worse if you get into deep or moderately deep ketosis :( A metallic taste in your mouth is also a common symptom.

Good luck -- thank goodness for sugar-free gum, right?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    The good news is that for many it will subside after a couple weeks.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh bloody hell.. I was hoping it may be a temporary thing :disappointed:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Phew, i didn't see this comment when i posted my last one. Honestly if this persists it'll will be a deal breaker. I'm too scared to be within 5 feet of my husband
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Phew, i didn't see this comment when i posted my last one. Honestly if this persists it'll will be a deal breaker. I'm too scared to be within 5 feet of my husband

Mine was just ecstatic that I was getting healthy, but it did bother him some so I had to brush my teeth extra times and use mouthwash and sugar-free gum a lot. But it stopped after awhile, and I haven't heard another thing about it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It will pass. Assure your husband that all will be well after you fully adapt to this woe. Will only take a few weeks, then will usually go away. I have found that I don't have had breath, at all, anymore.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Could the high protein be contributing?

Personally, I think it does. Your carb level is low enough for ketosis, which means you're probably exhaling acetone. But acetone doesn't smell that bad! It's usually described as a sweet smell.

Protein metabolites, OTOH, can be excreted as ammonia. And that smells pretty bad. For the first few weeks, my sweat smelled like ammonia. I imagine my breath did too.

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Luckily my SO also started this WOE when I did, so we both must have had the same kind of breath and couldn't tell. lol.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'll get him to read your replies, to assure him there's light at the end of the tunnel :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I thought I would update y'all, I'm annoyed to say that I upped my carbs to 100g today. The keto breath was seriously getting too much to put up with. I'm so pissed off! Other than that, everything was going swimmingly :disappointed: