Do you track the oil for greasing the pan?

Options
CC2435
CC2435 Posts: 21 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
I was making eggs in a muffin tin this morning, and realized I didn't know how to track the coconut oil I greased the pan with. Does this make any difference? Do you bother even tracking it if carbs are the important things to track?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Some people track calories and carbs. I personally am not tracking calories at all right now because the weight is coming off without tracking, but when I was, I log half a Tbsp of olive oil or butter or whatever I used.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I usually use 1tbsp of butter to cook my eggs. I log the butter. What I haven't quite figured out is when I cook them in bacon fat. For example, this morning I had 3 strips of bacon with my eggs and I cooked the eggs in the bacon grease. Besides being incredibly yummy and filling I don't really know how to log the calories.

I try not to get too obsessive on the minutiae preferring instead to focus on the big picture. I look at my MFP food diary as more or less a general guide on how I'm doing day to day. So, if it says I had 1300 Calories for the day I assume that it's somewhere below my 1800 allotment for the day. I don't worry if it isn't exactly accurate. I've done that game before and it can drive me nuts.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    CC2435 wrote: »
    I was making eggs in a muffin tin this morning, and realized I didn't know how to track the coconut oil I greased the pan with. Does this make any difference? Do you bother even tracking it if carbs are the important things to track?

If you're putting enough that upon melting it would be enough to actually pool in the bottom of the pan I would definitely count it since I am a calorie counter. If it's so little that it wouldn't pool in the pan, id just skip it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I count it.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I would for sure count, but I use the spray oil and just put a spray for my eggs so that's 0 for me
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would very roughly count it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

If you're putting enough that upon melting it would be enough to actually pool in the bottom of the pan I would definitely count it since I am a calorie counter. If it's so little that it wouldn't pool in the pan, id just skip it.

This. If it's just a cursory smear, I wouldn't worry over it. If it's enough to pool, def count it.
  • CC2435
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    I usually use 1tbsp of butter to cook my eggs. I log the butter. What I haven't quite figured out is when I cook them in bacon fat. For example, this morning I had 3 strips of bacon with my eggs and I cooked the eggs in the bacon grease. Besides being incredibly yummy and filling I don't really know how to log the calories.

I try not to get too obsessive on the minutiae preferring instead to focus on the big picture. I look at my MFP food diary as more or less a general guide on how I'm doing day to day. So, if it says I had 1300 Calories for the day I assume that it's somewhere below my 1800 allotment for the day. I don't worry if it isn't exactly accurate. I've done that game before and it can drive me nuts.

I would think if you logged your bacon, then it will count that fat for when you make your eggs too. If it's all logged under one meal, or even the same day, should it be counted already?
  • CC2435
    Options
    I don't think I'm going to count the fat. I'm eating a HFLC so I should be just conerned with keeping my carbs low, right?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm going to count the fat. I'm eating a HFLC so I should be just conerned with keeping my carbs low, right?

I count calories too since I'm really close to my weight loss goal.
    So that just depends on you.
    I would seriously just decide if it's an insignificant amount or not... Does it pool in the bottom of the pan? Yes? Then between 6 muffin cups, that's probably a good Tbs of butter and 100 calories. If you're eating more than one of the eggs a day, it can add up
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I would say: worry about your carb goal first, then hit your protein goal, then the rest should be fat. See how you do for a few weeks. If you are not losing any weight, then go back to counting calories too to see if you are way over.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I would think if you logged your bacon, then it will count that fat for when you make your eggs too. If it's all logged under one meal, or even the same day, should it be counted already?

Nope. The bacon grease that cooks off is not something normally consumed, so you have not yet counted it. (FWIW, this is one of the "I'm eating within my calories and still not losing" signs of what is going wrong in another thread I saw recently.)

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »

Nope. The bacon grease that cooks off is not something normally consumed, so you have not yet counted it. (FWIW, this is one of the "I'm eating within my calories and still not losing" signs of what is going wrong in another thread I saw recently.)

Huh. I have wondered this, too, actually, if the fat that cooks off of bacon (or ground beef, like I was making tonight) is included and if you're then really getting fewer fat and calories if the fat is drained off.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Fyi: the fat portions of bacon is an option to log on mfp. Is under "bacon grease". People use it to cook their veggies... I haven't needed any other types, but I'm sure they are there! Good luck!
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use a tablespoon of butter to make my omelets, and when I turn the omelet onto the plate there is little butter left in the pan. A tbsp of butter is 100 cals so I count it.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I count the butter I use to grease / fry, I then tip any that's left in the pan onto the eggs/meat I have just cooked...well, I have calculated it so I may as well eat it!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I cook eggs, veggies and just about everything with bacon grease and it's in the search engine as "bacon grease". I would just count one tbs for your eggs being cooked in it. I'd rather be over than under in my estimation but you really prob only used 1/2 tbs
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »

Exactly right.
  • CC2435
    Options
    I don't eat bacon very often, but I would have gotten that fat rendering thing completely wrong. I'm glad everyone had answers for me. What would we do without MFP? ;)