How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Daily in the morning. And sometimes after a run just to see how much fluid I lost.

Why? Because I have a high-tech scale that talks to my phone via bluetooth and automatically records weight, bf%, and other cool stats.

At this point, I have no interest in losing weight, but I like to see body fat decrease and muscle mass increase.
  • sethanddomsmom
    sethanddomsmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    daily, it keeps me on track. I don't stress if it goes up after a bad day of eating, it just reminds me of why I need to get back on track the next day
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Once a week -- keeps me accountable, but not so often that I'm obsessed by the scale. I use it to tune up my macros if I'm not achieving my goals over time.
  • creamcake2
    creamcake2 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Everyday for me..... First thing in the morning...in my night gown. I don't stress if I see a gain....but I don't record it either. It just helps me stay on track. I record a loss ONLY.... For me, it seems I will go for 4-5 days without a loss...then I might lose a pound each day for 2 - 3 days.! (I love that)... I have been doing LCHF for 36 days and I have lost 23 pounds so far. 39 more pounds to go !
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I record the number and then ignore it. I care more about long-term trends, but I get better data from having more points to average.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If I didn't weigh every day, I would never catch the one day each month when it appears I've actually made progress, before my weight goes back to riding roller coasters. It's kind of reckless and never keeps its hands inside the car. :wink:
  • Vilzi
    Vilzi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Vilzi wrote: »
    Usually every 2-3 days, and ALWAYS the day after I have had alcohol or consumed a more carb-heavy meal, so I see the consequences.

You probably need to wait a couple of days to see that - at least if my experience is any guide. Food in doesn't translate to actual weight gained immediately. My spouse uses that trick all the time. She has a big feast, then steps on the scale the next day and it is inevitably the same or lower than the previous day and announces, "See, I didn't totally kill myself." But a day or two later (depending on the size), she's up some - and never makes the connection.

I see it the next day, without fail!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning in the nude just before I jump in the shower. >:) Why? Just part of the routine and I have a Drs. scale in the bathroom, so I like to jiggle the weight up and down-- (kinda like a cat nudging something off the table.)
    However, I record only on Monday morning.

I agree with @Mongo - MFP charting will only show for a year at the longest, so it's pretty useless. I also keep a separate log of Monday weights (Since 2008!)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    I weigh every morning in the nude just before I jump in the shower. >:) Why? Just part of the routine and I have a Drs. scale in the bathroom, so I like to jiggle the weight up and down-- (kinda like a cat nudging something off the table.)
    However, I record only on Monday morning.

I agree with @Mongo - MFP charting will only show for a year at the longest, so it's pretty useless. I also keep a separate log of Monday weights (Since 2008!)

Boring scale but same philosophy. Daily routine.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week and, if my rings are tight, I may wait an extra day or two. I can't handle the daily fluctuations.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how you are affected mentally by the scale.

I've lost 54 lbs since June. I weigh once a week. Looking at my scale did not cause one of those lbs to go away.

My emotional state is personally my biggest battle. The literal ups and downs of daily or more weighing would be more than I can handle . I have so much weight to lose that I must FIGHT for a healthy long term mindset, and the scale can be an enemy in that regard.

If weighing 3x a day helps, go for it! If not, there is really NO reason to HAVE to weigh at all.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    It all depends on how you are affected mentally by the scale.

I've lost 54 lbs since June. I weigh once a week. Looking at my scale did not cause one of those lbs to go away.

My emotional state is personally my biggest battle. The literal ups and downs of daily or more weighing would be more than I can handle . I have so much weight to lose that I must FIGHT for a healthy long term mindset, and the scale can be an enemy in that regard.

If weighing 3x a day helps, go for it! If not, there is really NO reason to HAVE to weigh at all.

Twice a month works for me.
    I have to keep up my diabetes & carb log
    that's enough to keep me busy.

>:) OR o:)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing monthly, but this week I'm going to start doing it every Saturday to get a better idea of where I am.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I used to avoid the scale completely. Was a terrible mistake losing that accountability to myself. Since being LCHF I weigh almost everyday. It's a rollercoaster ride, but the trend is down, and that's most important. Daily fluctuations will happen, and were likely the reason that I gave up many times, in the past, thinking I was wasting my time. Let it be the number that it is, and focus on how you feel instead.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I do have to remind myself not to take the number on the scale too seriously but I honestly think that in my case, by weighing every day and watching the crazy charting that it creates is actually illustrating how the ups and downs are expected and normal and don't actually delay progress for me in a way that's helping me to be more ok with it. I think it's helping me to see the "up days" as a non-issue now where they really bugged me before.
    This month I've tracked almost daily, where I used to only log the new low weights. I actually really like seeing how crazy it looks charted!
    lepu7i3hvxox.jpeg
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a couple times a day, but only log it weekly. I like to know how i'm progressing over the week, but I realize that daily fluctuations would be crazy to try to log and don't really represent what's happening. I was weighing on Fridays, but starting next week I'll be weighing on Mondays for a "Maintain, Don't Gain" 2 month program at work to get through the holidays. I hope to actually lose during this time, but this will help me be accountable.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm the same @Sunny_Bunny_. I didn't want to Log the scale jumps, but have now learned its part of the process, and don't let it bother me. I also like seeing it on the report too. This woe changes how we look at weight loss, and achieving health in so many wonderful ways. Control over food is awesome, but the control over the scale has been amazing too!

• KarlaYP
    Options
    Wanted to post this in my last comment: MFP Report,

nznub0jwso3f.png

It's been a heck of a ride, but I'm so glad that I've continued to eat this way!
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I use Libra to weigh in daily because I like to see the trend over time. I only log in MFP once a week, usually on Friday mornings.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I find the ups and downs interesting and reassuring.

My challenge is to keep weighing even if I am eating less than ideal. I tend to put my head in the sand at those times and pretend it isn't happening.... Gotta work on that for maintenance, when I get there.