Calorie Division

Options
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to low-carb and IF, coming off a 6-7 small, high carbohydrate way of eating. I can already definitely see the benefits, I now usually only eat 2 meals day! (skipping breakfast, lunch, or dinner, based on convenience and social events.)

I notice that even though I didn't think I was that hungry before sitting down to eat, I can easily consume 800-900 calories a meal! How do you others divide your calories, and what eating pattern do you follow? Also, how much time do you take to eat your meals?

Replies

• norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I usually have four or five meals a day. The first four come really close together (within two hours of each other, typically). 9am, 11am, 1pm, and 3pm. If I have supper, it is three or four hours after my afternoon snack. My meals are typically from 150-300 calories, but they'll get larger. I've had two meals just over 500 in the last week, and one meal over a 1000 (bun-less bacon & cheese Smashburger followed up with a big piece of black forest cake . . . it was my little man's birthday).

If I eat more than around 400 calories I feel too full and gross.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add . . . it usually takes me around 15-30 minutes to eat my meals. My eating has slowed down a lot now. I don't shovel food into my face anymore. And, I chew better.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast as soon as possible in the day to get my metabolism going and to stimulate hormone production! Then I usually fast throughout the work day and eat the rest of my calories when I get home for dinner. ( I try to eat a small salad for "lunch" at work but am just not hungry so I end up saving it) I also usually give my body a couple hours before bed to digest so that I'm not full when I go to sleep. The body repairs during sleep so I don't want it digesting food instead
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My breakfast is 866 cals, but that includes coconut oil and milk that gets eaten over the whole day. My goal is 1455, so that leaves 579 cals - spread over 1 to 3 meals/snacks. Today it will probably only be 2. I skip lunch a lot or delay it till 4pm. I still have a late night snack - which may not be a good idea.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I cram all my cals into 7 hours of eating. I can pretty much eat the whole time. I do pre-log my foods, so if there's a treat in the mix, I can ensure I'm not over-eating.
  • sethanddomsmom
    sethanddomsmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    pre-logging calories just prior to a meal helps me from going overboard with the calories.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 big meals and maybe a snack before dinner. My meals are usually between 400-500 cals. When I was eating IIFYM I ate 5-6 times a day. But that was because I would get really hungry after just 2-3 hrs after I last ate. These days I can go 5-6 hours feeling full. I love that effect of this WOE.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I begin my day with decaf coffee that has heavy whipping cream (hwc) only. I will eat a 600-800 calorie lunch around 2pm and then my supper around 6pm for a total of approximately 1600 calories a day. It's rare that I actually snack between meals now. If I do it's only around 100 calories.

It does take me longer (20-30 minutes) to eat now. It's not very easy to rush while eating meat and find if I do I can't eat enough because I get full too quick.

The freedom from food with this woe is amazing! Enjoy!! So glad you are there too!!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat two meals a day based on a LCHF + IF protocol. Breakfast at 8.00am will be about 600 cals then I eat an early dinner at 4.00pm which can be up to 1,000 cals. I have cut out late night/mid morning/ mid afternoon snacking and I want to get down from 2MAD to 1MAD. Sometimes I go 1 meal a day but usually it is 2 meals a day.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I eat roughly 1400 -1500 Cals a day every morning (8am) I have 2 cups of bullet proof coffee (just oil & hwc) around 300 for both, that keeps me full till noon lunch is around 300/400 Cals then an afternoon coffee 150 and my big meal is always dinner so what ever Cals I have left over go to that about 600/700
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat one meal a day with pork skins as snacks.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    For many with health or metabolic issues it seems one big meal is not something I'd want to do…cramming all the calories into one <30 min time seems anti-digestive…(you might one meal to include fermented food for gut health) those with gall issues etc might cause a problem with too many fats in a very short time….also having the pleasure of enjoying this WOE means I'd want to have two macro-spaced meals, and take time to enjoy both.

I usually do 16:8, with 1-2 very high fat coffees before 10am as my only 'intake' before a late, small lunch (1-2pm) and small dinner, and a small snack before 8pm @1450 for the day
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat one meal per day. I drink coffee and water throughout the day, then enjoy one big meal at supper time.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I eat all my calories in a 7-8 hour window... usually works out to 2 biggish meals and maybe a snack in the evening.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 or 5 times a day. I eat a small breakfast, usually 200 to 350 calories (eggs or protein bar) and a small snack 100 calories or less about 2-3 hours later. Lunch is usually about 400 calories and then a snack of 150-200 calories around 3:30-4. The afternoon snack depends on my lunch and how soon I'll be having dinner. Dinner is usually about 400-500. I'm usually in my 1310 calorie limit and within my macros. I'm not a slow eater, though my lunch is leisurely since it's at work and usually with friends. The rest of the time, I'm want to eat and get on with my day!