'Comfort Carbs'

Options
Hi everybody :)

I'm relatively new to the low-carb mentality, and can absolutely feel HUGE benefits, including minimized hunger and carvings, increased energy throughout the day, and almost effortless weight maintenance.

I am happy to say I can easily skip the potatoes at dinner, and for the most part, any carbs accompanying meat.

However, I'm still struggling with the idea of giving up some personal favorites, such as pancakes on a Sunday morning, rolls with butter and honey... and it doesn't make it a whole lot easier that I LOVE to bake.

I suspect this is a sugar and comfort craving more than anything else. I don't often give in to them, but I do miss these foods and the familiarity/comfort they come with. (Problem is, I often end up overindulging when I DO give in.) Have any of you experienced the same? How did/do you deal with it? And if you do treat yourself to your 'comfort carbs,' how often so, and under what circumstances?

Looking very much forward to your replies!!

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    One idea is you could check out Carbquik or other keto pancake recipes as an alternative. I haven't used it yet since starting keto (I had bought it before when I was on a different somewhat low-carb diet) but I find with lower carb diets that if I can find a diet-friendly version of whatever I tend to crave, it really helps. E.g. now I can make a "skillet pizza" of just mozzarella cheese and pepperoni, maybe a little marinara to dip it in, and don't feel deprived at all when the rest of the family eats pizza. Or cocoa fat bombs or low-sugar dark chocolate when I'm craving something sweet; garlic parmesan mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, etc.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was/am a huge baking fanatic also! the best pancake replacement (because my family has always treasured saturday morning pancakes and bacon!) flax seed meal and coconut flour mixed together with eggs, coconut milk, and baking soda and powder. To die for and less than 5 net carbs per serving. A quick google search will bring up lots of variations!

Also during the fall- i have been making chocolate mousse ( full fat coconut milk refrigerated overnight in can) stevia and cocoa powder whipped together has quelled those nostalgic cravings to nill. I even tried it with pumpkin and it was pretty good. tasted just like pie!

And I have still lost 16lbs and 3 inches off my waist in 5 weeks of being back on keto (took a 9 month break :wink: )
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I gave up my wife's pancakes. blueberries and maple syrup on Tuesday morning. You have to get your brain to realize how many carbs that is [and probably poison unlike some other carbs that might have redeeming feature]

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My substitute for baking is to make stews and casseroles. My current favorite is Polish hunter stew, which is pretty much a combination of any kinds of meats, sausages, bacon, ham, an onion, a clove or two of garlic, some canned tomatoes, stock, and sauerkraut. It's my low carb comfort food.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I suggest you give up all comfort and carb-like comfort foods for 6 months. After that, after you've pretty much lost your taste and want for them, see what low-carb things you can add back.

Pancakes/crepes have been a comfort food for me for years. I gave them up for a full year. A couple of weeks ago, I tried a low-carb crepe/pancake recipe and discovered that 1. they aren't comforting, just tasty 2. they're tasty, but I can live without them 3. I can make them keto-friendly with little trouble.

Give it up until you no longer think of it as comfort food, then bring it back.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    We make choices every day. Me, I like the way I feel, I've lost weight, and that would be my choice faced with another choice that might derail all that.
    I have found alternatives, I use a little almond flour to fry stuff, maybe you could make yourself one almond flour pancake with sugar free syrup some day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AAhh the infamous sugar free syrup, I have yet to find it in Australia. Just about every keto dessert calls for it..
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Generally, I find it easier if I just let go of the comfort food substitutes, since they just remind me for my (now past) cravings for sugar oblivion. My cravings go away to the extent I just don't have the high sugar foods or substitutes. That being said, I do like to make protein powder crepes. I eat them w/ 1 tablespoon nut butter and tea. Very lovely.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you want it, you need to define choices and motivations. Some can forgo the 'comfort'. I simply don't want to! So, I've found the Carbquick to make some pretty tasty things with a fraction of the carbs. Depends how low your carb allowance is, but it sure beats diving into the higher carb versions :)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    My old comfort food was a full bar of Swiss milk chocolate

My new comfort food is a square off a bar of dark 74% chocolate broken into pieces and mixed into high fat plain Greek yogurt
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My old sugar nemesis was chewy lemonheads candy. There's no way I could attempt to create a low carb version and I don't think it would do me any good at all even if I could.
    But, there are really great pancake options available and with a little sugar free syrup or even a cinnamon butter topping... Yummy!
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I offered the pancake recipe and mousse because it's fall and we have halloween, thanksgiving, and Christmas one right after the other! As a baking fanatic...this time of year is harder than usual with all the cookies and pies being passed around :wink: but any other time of year and I am pretty darn strict with sweets and keto junk food. Just keep that in mind. Moderation is key with keto cheats (that's what I call them)

Another awesome comfort fall food is soups! I've made keto chili, enchilada soup, taco soup, cheddar broccoli, etc. Pinterest lo carb soups or low carb/keto meals.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Many sad diet eaters I speak to voice the opinion of the inability to give up some foods they "love". My very next question is, "But, do they love you back?" This usually leaves them speechless, but is being truthful. If your food doesn't love you too, it should be kicked to the curb, imo! The above advice is marvelous! Give yourself some time and I will almost bet you find new, lower carb, comforts. Best to you!!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    For me, avoiding those trigger foods in the beginning worked best. It was too easy to slip back into my old lifestyle. After you have been at it for a while, then give it a whirl.

That said, I have found that my cravings have changed. Sometimes, I just want a hunk of meat. LOL Other times, I am perfectly fine with a simple LC exchange.

There are oodles and oodles of recipes on Pinterest.

I have had to change my mindset to "Which foods will help me reach my goals?"
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Cheese is one of my comfort foods.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Feeling comfortable in smaller clothes or eating comfort food? That's what it comes down to for me.

The familiarity/comfort of old foods I used to eat, also comes with the familiarity/comfort of my old body. Yuck!

"Comfort" carbs do open the door to craving even more carbs. I have experienced that same feeling. I deal with it, by not going there in the first place and then it gets easier to adjust to a LC yummy comfort instead.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've come up with a few favorites that I have worked into my meal rotation that fill the void of the carb laden comfort foods of the past. One of my favorites is "lower carb" lasagna. It's not low carb, but it's way better than the original version. Because I love the noodles, I couldn't totally eliminate them, but now I simply use just one layer on the bottom and then the remaining layers are sauce, meat and cheese. The single layer gives you a bit of noodles, but while only using one serving of noodles for a whole 9 X 13 pan. Another current favorite is cauliflower fried "rice" with chicken. OMG! This is amazing.

Also, one of my favorite comfort food snacking combinations is a handful of almonds with two light babybel cheeses. It's a great favor and texture combination and keeps me full and satified for hours.