Clarify terms for me?

Options
CC2435
CC2435 Posts: 21 Member
When everyone is talking about how many carbs you eat, is that net carbs or something? Maybe if someone can explain the carb stuff to me, then I could actually figure out how many I need.

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    At the beginning, start with total carbs. That's the carb number MFP gives you. After a while, some people choose to go with net carbs. That's the total number minus fibre. Both of these are perfectly fine. You'll need to see which one works for you.

For me, I will subtract actual veggie fibre, but I never subtract sugar alcohols. Almost all affect my blood sugar at least a little. If they can affect me, they aren't neutral, so I count them. This is a third method that again, is perfectly fine.

TL;DR... Start with total. After a few months, see if you can subtract fibre. Then you can decide if you want to subtract sugar alcohols.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm pretty sure all of this is covered in The Launch Pad that's linked on the main group page. That's a good place to reference, because a lot of these questions are covered much more thoroughly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    CC2435 wrote: »
    When everyone is talking about how many carbs you eat, is that net carbs or something? Maybe if someone can explain the carb stuff to me, then I could actually figure out how many I need.

@CC2435 welcome to MFP forums.

It was a shock to me to learn humans do not "need" any carbs to live a healthy life. Those of us who want to make sure our blood glucose always stays under 100 will limit our carbs. I limit my typically to < 50 grams daily so I stay in Nutritional Ketosis a term you may want to google like I did about a year ago.

All it means to me is that my body burns fat vs sugar/carbs as its main source of energy.

I do this Way of Eating for pain manage but weight loss is a side effect that was a plus in my case since I was obese. In just 30 days after I when off of all forms of grains and most all forms of sugar Oct 2014 my pain level dropped from a daily 7-8 to 2-3. In six months my 40 years of IBS was "cured" and I could go on and one.

We all have different reasons for eating few carbs any longer. Most are not willing to leave off carbs. I was facing a real risk of cancer and other diseases if I started taking Enbrel for pain management. I chose to stop dieting and started eating for health/life. Personally I never plan to return to living on carbs at my age.

Keep reading and goggling. 15 months later I am still learning more daily about this new way of eating. It is not magic after one learns the science behind this way of eating but it still seems magical to me. :)