What is this alchemy we believe in?

Options
PasPlus
PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
I found myself with unabating thirst this morning and of course the first thing that came to mind was - Pass the salt please! As fast as the thought appeared it was followed with - Hmm how illogical that would sound to most, so I thought I would survey the ways in which we turn the world in a slightly illogical (to Mr Everyman out there) way.

Key ones for me are:
1. salt cures thirst
2. fat makes you thin, and
3. fruit and vegetables every day are not critical for life.

Anyone care to add to the list?

As an aside the following is well worth a watch (and sending to the critics):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

Replies

• smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My favourite one - you don't have to exercise madly to lose weight. Exercise is for fitness and health.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat won't kill you. Eat butter. Better yet, put it in your coffee.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    smuller73 wrote: »
    My favourite one - you don't have to exercise madly to lose weight. Exercise is for fitness and health.

This is my favorite too!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Saturated fat won't kill you. Eat butter. Better yet, put it in your coffee.

Even better, saturated fat improved cholesterol numbers. :D
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Those "deadly" ketones are great for brain health.
    Can't be right, don't diabetics die from those things?!? Eek!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Low fat makes you fat!
  • glossbones
    Options
    Thought of two more last night:

"A healthy person has 3-6 bowel movements a day."

"Everybody farts."

(Despite what you think, I thought of these while I was driving, not in the bathroom!)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It isn't clear that the micronutrients found in vegetables are not important to your long term health, and there are plenty of vegetables that are low in carbs.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »

Sorry, don't understand if you mean this is what happens or what people think should happen. As someone chronically constipated all my life and only now -after one year on LCHF- getting slowly better, this one interests me a lot!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    It isn't clear that the micronutrients found in vegetables are not important to your long term health, and there are plenty of vegetables that are low in carbs.

The double negative here confuses me. Is the point being that we're not certain whether or not the micronutrients in vegetables are important to long term health, therefore we should eat them. And, it is fine to eat them because plenty of them are low in carbs?

I think that's what you mean. I disagree with that logic, but I don't think less of anyone who follows it and consumes plenty of veggies. Each person can tolerate different things.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    glossbones wrote: »

Sorry, don't understand if you mean this is what happens or what people think should happen. As someone chronically constipated all my life and only now -after one year on LCHF- getting slowly better, this one interests me a lot!

I am sure this is what people "believe" should be the case, but it's not what it really true. Bowel movement frequency is varied and depends on both the individual and their most recent dietary intake. Pooping 3+ times a day just isn't normal for some people. As long as you are not uncomfortable and things come out easily and without pain, the frequency of the elimination is likely not an issue.

Myself, I am fairly regular. I used to poop multiple times a day, but now I go once a day at most. Often it is every other day or even every third day. No problems when I have to go though.

Oh, and the lack of farts is awesome. I literally almost never fart. Maybe a couple times a week, but maybe not even that often. My wife loves that.
  • glossbones
    Options
    I was referring to the expectation I heard from some pseudo-professional or another that we ought to expect to have movements three or more times per day. If we didn't, the prescription was to consume more fiber. I bet they were really shilling for Big Agriculture if we follow the money, though. How much would we have to pack in our gut, I wonder, to achieve that trophy-winning bowel action?!

I'm with Fit_Goat, except that for me it's been three farts since I started Keto in February '15. I can count them because each time I was thinking "what is this feeling..?? ... Oh. Right."

But none of them were the room-clearing destructoguts that I used to have multiple times per day. I always blamed the rich dairy in my ice cream, until I realized it wasn't the dairy, or its fat, that were the problem. Sugar. Evil. Say it with me.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hahaha my hubby went back to carbs (he's doing P90x3 and feels better on them) about 6 weeks ago and I'm getting so annoyed - he is SO gassy and it is AWFUL. I never do, so the fact that he can clear the room every 15 minutes is driving me insane.