Depression and VSG

Options
ThinGwen
ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
just want to share something. Prior to surgery, I never dealt with depression. Since surgery, about twice a month, I would have a combined craving for sweets and I would feel very blue, with a feeling like there was nothing that would ever make me happy, and nothing that triggered it. After talking with my therapist (I check in once a month to deal with food and weight loss issues), she said that some people who go very low carb get depressed because the carbs are needed for seratonin production. So, I've upped my carbs a little, and I'm have had a bout since, I realize that what I was dealing with is nothing like true clinical depression, but I wanted to share in case anyone is dealing with something similar.

Replies

• ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Reword - I've not had a bout since.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. At one of our support groups the discussion was "carbs good or bad" They explained the good reason to have carbs in your diet mood, heart, memory, etc. We just need to find our balance. Glad it solved your depression. I will have to keep that in mind as I move forward with this process.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    While low carb is certainly necessary in this way of life if you plan to be healthy, I think some people think that no-carb is the way to go, which is decidedly dangerous, IMO. The thing you have to look for is GOOD carbs. Just like everything else, everything in moderation.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Exactly. Even if it's a "poor choice" carb, you can still treat yourself, if you have enough self-control to know when to stop. If you have self-control issues, then obviously avoidance is the best course of action. I had a slice of naan with my tandoori chicken lat night. Only 1/3 of a normal slice, but it was enough to satisfy the craving and to help with some of the fire-mouth.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that we are often using carbs as a blanket term for something that is bad...when we should be talking specifics like added sugar and such.

I follow a philosophy that I call smart carb...vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, fruit in addition to traditional protein and far sources. I avoid most cravings and have little problems with the low carb blues. A balanced diet is what we should aim for...and that can include some "dumb" carbs.

I don't count calories. I eat when I'm hungry and eat a wide variety of delicious food.
    Ma