Looking for sauce help

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
hey all

my dear wife very kindly made me some chicken tonight with a sauce

we had bought some coconut flour to use as a thickening agent and it worked

unfortunately the texture was a bit grainy and i did not love it the flavor was good and i think we are onto something but it needs help

any suggestions of how to make a good pan gravy that will generate sufficient volume for braising

ps sorry for lack of punctuation i have a new phone and its not working with me lol

Replies

• V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Coconut mana or butter has a gravy-like consistency when melted; it's not overtly gritty but can be a bit thick
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Other good thickening agents which are not terribly high in carbs are as follows: (1) arrowroot powder; (2) xanthan gum; and (3) guar gum. With the gums, you will rarely need more than 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon...to much of either of those and you will NOT like the slimy mess you are left with. I don't believe arrowroot powder leaves a slimy mess, but of the three, it works the most like regular flour except you would use way less of it than you would of flour so perhaps 1/2 - 1 teaspoon depending on the amount of sauce you are working with. ALWAYS start with less than you think you need. You can add more later. :)
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I make lots of sauces that have mushrooms as a base and I puree them. For instance, I do a brown "gravy" that's caramelized onions and mushrooms and seasonings, with a mushroom stock. 4 g carbohydrate per serving.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I use xanthan gum