The Reformed Chef: Cooking After the "Healing Stages"

Options
anbrdr
anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
So, I know we have a few cooking threads and from those I can tell that there are some fantastic chefs out there. Since it's becoming that "get together" time of year, I thought I'd make a new one where we can share recipe recommendations, cookbook recommendations, and the like.

If you've found any books that have been helpful (or are not worth the money, post them up.

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you're on Facebook, RUN (don't walk) to the Rock's Kitchen group. It's an amazing resource for WLS-friendly recipes.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    While not specifically WLS, I really enjoy a few keto sites that give me ways to cook things I used to love in a more carb-friendly pro-protein way (since carbs are my personal devil and getting protein ain't easy some days)...

Keto PLUS! It's about the food! (on FB)
    https://shecallsmehobbit.wordpress.com/ (blog)

Both are by Scott Swenson, who's simply awesome.
  • anbrdr
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Backstory: "Pre-helthiness" I was a very adventurous chef. I loved making anything Indian, Thai, and everything grilled. Since my loss journey, I've become a lot more plain in my cooking habits, often resulting to "chicken breast, rice, maybe a veg' rinse/repeat. I'd still throw something together, on the weekends, but it slowly became more infrequent. After surgery, things have only gotten "worse". No more rice noodles :( Now it's usually Wendy's chili after the gym, or just some quick-cooked meat, most of the time with no veg. Life is weird when you are single, have weekend custody (of a ridiculously picky eater), and spend 2+ hours in traffic every weekday.
    TL;DR. Cooking for one sucks, especially when you love to cook.

I have recently downloaded this book onto my Kindle:Peace, Love, and Low Carb by Kyndra Holley
    * There are some pretty good recipes in here. Many of them have a lot more fat than I'd prefer though. Most of that can be corrected by using leaner meats, Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream, and low-fat cheese. Also, I'm sure "our" serving sizes are quite a bit smaller.
    * Do you like Cauliflower? Because Kyndra wants you to eat it. LOTS of it!
    * *The Carmelized Onion and Horseradish Cauli Mash is fantastic. I think it's gonna be my work's Thanksgiving dish.
    **The Parmesan-Dijon Roasted Cauli sounds great.
    *Avocado Taco Boats are FTW.

There is a smaller/cheaper version of this book that has selected recipes called Peace, Love, and Low Carb Savory Side Dishes. Don't make my mistake and buy both.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the Peace, Love and Low Carb Recipe Book. I just took a look at the samples and I like what I see. Will be getting one of the books after I get paid.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about the book: They give you nutritional information "Per Serving" but they don't give you a serving size/weight. Some of it is obvious, like the Turkey Taco Muffins; obviously 1 muffin is a serving. Dishes like the Lasagne, soups, etc don't give you a weight.

I guess this is only a minor inconvenience, as I'll be adding the recipes into MFP then figuring it out.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have always loved cooking, still do. I often just find recipes I like and figure out how to modify them to my new way of eating. I cook for myself only as well (unless there is an occasion to cook), so I tend to freeze a lot of stuff.

I had my VSG surgery two years ago in October, so when the holidays rolled around, I still wasn't 100%. I wasn't going to cook, but then I thought, I love to cook, I love having people over, being social is a big part of who I am, so I will make it work. I had help, and I had people around to taste things I couldn't taste. I hope having surgery doesn't stop people from enjoying the holidays. Make some modifications, make some things you know you can eat, and have a good time!! I am interested in how everyone else handles cooking during the holidays.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like about the book: They give you nutritional information "Per Serving" but they don't give you a serving size/weight.
    I'm blind, apparently. it give you a Serves#. I think viewing it on the computer screen breaks the pages in a weird way.

I need to invest in a vacuum sealer, and some proper portioned sealable containers.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love skinnytaste.com She has great recipes and the nutrition info.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I found several favorite recipes in the WLS Cookbbook for Dummies!
  • garber6th
    Options
    I found several favorite recipes in the WLS Cookbbook for Dummies!

I'm so glad you mentioned this, because I have this book and I completely forgot about it!

• martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but here in Texas we have a chain of bookstores called Half Price Books. They tend to have a huge cookbook section, and a lot of cheap first hand and second hand books. I've bought dozens of great healthy cookbooks (average $3-7). So I suggest hitting second hand bookstores.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and also am single. Unless my grandkids or two sons are here, I'm finding it takes some imagination cooking for one. I've picked up some great recipes on pinterest for WLS. I will be cooking for Thanksgiving as I'm the oldest with three brothers and they always want sister's cooking lol.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    For my family Tgiving on Sunday, I'm bringing 2 dishes:

Bacon Broccoli Amandine
    Serves 8 (obviously this is a relative term for normal gutted people)
    166 Cal / 5.5 Protein / 4 carbs / 14 fat

Large Head Broccoli (cut into florets)
    8 slices Bacon (crisp and crumbled)
    6 cloves Garlic (minced)
    1 cup Raw Almonds (crushed/slivered)P
    3 Tbs Olive Oil
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Boil Broccoli in large saucepan until tender/crisp (10 minutes), Drain out all water
    Cook bacon til crisp in skillet, Remove bacon
    Lower heat, add almonds and garlic until brown (but don't burn the garlic, FFS).
    Remove garlic/almonds with slotted spoon
    In mixing bowl, combine Bacon, Broccoli, Almonds, Garlic, Oil, Pepper, and Salt (could also add cayenne for a little kick)

My Desert will be:

Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Fat Bombs
    Serves 9 bombs
    88 Cal / 2 Fat / 1 Carb / 9 Fat

4 tbs prepared PB2 (Pb2 + water) *
    1/4 cup Coconut Oil
    1 oz Unsweet Baking Choc
    1 Tbs Unsweet Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Liquid Stevia sweetener (more/less to taste) *

Prepare PB2
    Melt PB2, Oil, Chocolate, Cocoa powder in a double-boiler/ DIY boiler
    Remove from heat and stir in Stevia
    Scoop into silicon molds, or mini cupcake wraps
    Freeze to set.
    Keep frozen/refrigerated until ready to eat. Coconut oil has a very low melting point.

* Tasting Notes: Next time I make this, I may add more PB2, and a little less sweetener. this first batch, I actually added close to 1 tsp of sweetener, which was way too much. I think it overwhelmed the PB2. I like my chocolates on the bitter side.
  • garber6th
    Options
    Bacon, broccoli, almonds, garlic - my 4 favorite food groups. I am going to make this!! Sounds amazing. Might even have to sprinkle a little parmesan on it!
  • anbrdr
    Options
    Oh that broccoli came out wonderfully! So freaking tasty! Just hate that I could only get in 2 florets.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    @anbrdr, that sounds absolutely delicious, as do the peanut butter chocolate bombs. Holy cow, I'm crashing your place for Christmas dinner.
  • anbrdr
    Options
    C'mon over. There will be fire, meat, and fun