Deficits

Options
E_Brault
E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
If women shouldn't eat below 1200 calories, what is the difference between people on a very low calorie diet (VLCD) of 1000 calories and no exercise compared with a person who eats 1200 and burns 600? Which puts them lower than the VLCD person.

I just moved up to 1200 calories, after a 55 pound loss. I was at 1000 calories and exercising off 100 calories but ate it back. I am hoping to build up to a burn of 200 and maybe eat it back. I am so impressed by MFPs who burn 600 calories a day; however, sometimes their totals after all is said and done could be 600 or 800 calories for the day.

I plan to increase my calories to 1400 by December 14, but I am really trying to figure out this balancing act. I would appreciate the community's guidance.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not know. 'Not even going to pretend to be an expert.
    I'm guessing there is not much difference except that it depends on how much the person has to lose.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Most people on a VLCD are under a doctor's supervision. Anyone eating 1200 calories and burning 600 a day without eating those calories back is slowly depleting their body of much needed nutrients and enough calories to keep their organs functioning. I think that's called an eating disorder.....personally.

1200 calories is a bare minimum for women and if you exercise you should eat back those calories, assuming you're logging accurately and really only eating 1200 calories.

I think the best thing to do is figure out your daily caloric needs including your exercise to maintain weight and then take a reasonable deficit from that without trying to lose weight too quickly.

Here's a good website to figure all of that out based on your daily activity, height, weight and gender.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I'm 5'7" and still losing weight eating about 1700 cals M-F and more on the weekends because we generally eat at least one or two meals out. Granted I exercise about 8 hours or maybe a little more a week and don't have much weight left to lose, but I think a lot of women short change themselves when it comes to food by trying to lose weight too quickly.

As someone who enjoys exercise, the more I eat, within reason, the more calories I burn because my energy level is that much higher. I lost most of my weight in the first year eating about 1500 cals a day but once I increased my cals to the 1700 range my workouts were much more effective and I burned even more calories.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    Most people on a VLCD are under a doctor's supervision. Anyone eating 1200 calories and burning 600 a day without eating those calories back is slowly depleting their body of much needed nutrients and enough calories to keep their organs functioning. I think that's called an eating disorder.
    Luluinca,
    OMG. I thought I must not be understanding something. But according to you, I've got it exactly right! Thank you for taking time to respond. Your words brought clarity, confirmation and will help me far into the future.

• E_Brault
    Options
    The Scooby website is quite the gift!!! Thank you for sharing.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,971 Member
    Options
    That's a great explanation, luluinca. THanks for that.

My dietitian did a resting metabolic rate test as part of my assessment. I thought my metabolism was relatively slow. I was very wrong. My rate RMR was 2400 cal/day.

Theoretically, that means I should be able to lose weight fairly easily if I carefully measured my food intake. I'm pretty lazy about that. Hence...
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Thank you for weighing in on the subject, Wayne. How did the dietician determine your RMR? I'm always trying to cut corners. I have ObamaCare, so I won't be able to get into the doctor again for 3 months.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The dietitian has a machine for measuring such. Basically, a tight-fitting face mask with a hose attached to a machine. All breathing passes through the machine for 30 minutes while I sat (resting) in a chair. In my case, the mask had straps to hold it in place rather than doing so by hand like in this picture.

JOHN_RMR.jpg

Not sure what the machine measures. After 30 minutes, they printed off a chart to add to my file and told me the results.

I had the same test down twice but on separate days. The second time, the results were a touch higher but not statistically significantly higher.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I tried to be very accurate with my food logging and my burns, ( got an hrm). I would eat back most of my exercise calories. I lost steadily, close to a pound a week. I was about 1500 plus exercise calories. Now my bmr is only about 1200 and have 1350 calories w/o exercise. Needles to say if I want to eat, I must exercise. Big downside to getting to goal, the less you weigh, the less you can eat, lol.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've been thinking about asking my Doc if I can get my BF% tested next time I go in.....I think that would be a beneficial thing to know as well. I have good secondary insurance with my Medicare and I think I could request that.

I pretty much figured out my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) using the Scooby website and that's worked for me as far as losing the weight goes. I know once I started lifting weights my metabolism took a jump, confirmed by my trainer. I went in one morning after upping my calories on his recommendation and beginning a weight lifting routine, also his recommendation, and told him I was starving. He just laughed and said "I've been waiting for you to say that". "Your metabolism just jumped into overdrive".

I'm at the point now where I can maintain my weight eating between 2000 and 2200 cals a day. Of course I have to keep up my exercise regimen to do that but luckily for me I enjoy going to the gym 4 days a week and walking/running with the dog 2 days. As long as I can keep that up, at my age, I figure I might as well enjoy the calories.......... ;)
  • E_Brault
    Options
    One way or another, I will have that test done. Should I do it now and again once I meet desired weight?
  • UncleMac
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    One way or another, I will have that test done. Should I do it now and again once I meet desired weight?
    I'm not sure. The dietitian used it to set the baseline calorie intake. If you've reached your desired weight and you're stable there, doesn't that mean you know (by default) what is your baseline calorie intake by what you've been eating daily?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Oh, but I am not in true maintenance yet. OptiFast refers to the Maintenance Phase as when a participant eats 1200 calories for 4 weeks using a meal plan without their products. The next phase is Stabilization. One must be stabilized for a period of two years before they consider the participant successful. Should one begin to gain 5 or more pounds, OptiFast administers a week's worth of product.

Just for the record, I am not an OptiFast rep., nor do I use their products. I follow the structure of their plan loosely and have combined it with a doctor supervised plan from years ago. I do not endorse this as a WOE or a safe method to lose weight. I made this decision to remediate medical complications.

I ask the naysayers to refrain from comment. I have lost 53 pounds since April 29, am reversing sleep apnea, and my BP is in normal range, my BMI is out of the obese category and a knee injury which refused to heal itself in over a year is getting better. Moreover, I am learning about me and what got me to this point in the first place bc I have not been overweight all my life. The onset was menopause.

So here's to reclaiming my life and enjoying it with friends.

• UncleMac
    Options
    My point was once you are stable at maintenance, your RMR isn't all that relevant. You would be where you want to be... your calories burned and calorie intake would be balanced.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    The dietitian has a machine for measuring such. Basically, a tight-fitting face mask with a hose attached to a machine. All breathing passes through the machine for 30 minutes while I sat (resting) in a chair. In my case, the mask had straps to hold it in place rather than doing so by hand like in this picture.

JOHN_RMR.jpg

Not sure what the machine measures. After 30 minutes, they printed off a chart to add to my file and told me the results.

I had the same test down twice but on separate days. The second time, the results were a touch higher but not statistically significantly higher.

That is an indirect calorimetry test. It measures oxygen consumption, and/or carbon dioxide and nitrogen production. That gives them the information from the heat of oxidation of food.

E_Brault wrote: »
    Oh, but I am not in true maintenance yet. OptiFast refers to the Maintenance Phase as when a participant eats 1200 calories for 4 weeks using a meal plan without their products. The next phase is Stabilization. One must be stabilized for a period of two years before they consider the participant successful. Should one begin to gain 5 or more pounds, OptiFast administers a week's worth of product.

Just for the record, I am not an OptiFast rep., nor do I use their products. I follow the structure of their plan loosely and have combined it with a doctor supervised plan from years ago. I do not endorse this as a WOE or a safe method to lose weight. I made this decision to remediate medical complications.

I ask the naysayers to refrain from comment. I have lost 53 pounds since April 29, am reversing sleep apnea, and my BP is in normal range, my BMI is out of the obese category and a knee injury which refused to heal itself in over a year is getting better. Moreover, I am learning about me and what got me to this point in the first place bc I have not been overweight all my life. The onset was menopause.

So here's to reclaiming my life and enjoying it with friends.

I'm so glad this comment is in this group and not out in the regular forums. As far as I'm concerned, anything that helps anyone along the path and causes no health concerns should be considered by anyone that might want the extra motivation and/or discipline involved with that plan.

I think many people are overwhelmed just at the thought of losing weight. Add in the additional exercise effort some need or desire, and the need to often change up their diet and cooking plans... and the anxiety ramps up even greater. Meal replacement plans allow the users to see results while having more focus on certain aspects, and gives people time to transition the rest of the long term changes needed.

Some people do this with structuring their own meals and cooking and packaging/freezing large batch meals. But I know someone doing this, at his time and energy expense, and it just seems exhaustive to me. Add to that the lesser options available unless you want to spend a lot of time cooking, and it's a big extra load.

So for the way I think... if it works for you and is safe and healthy... well it's hard to argue with results.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Thanks for weighing in Robert. I absolutely love to cook and clean house it was how I was raised and it comes naturally. For myself and others, I bet a significant life change (losing a house, loved one, job) may result in a routine gone haywire and then it becomes a fight to just get by. The result is not enough time to dedicate to ourselves. Since I have lost so much weight, I am spending more time taking care of me. Gosh, it feels so good.

I wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving.