After the carbs comes the ???.

Options
PasPlus
PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
I hear a lot about carbs making people feel 'yukky' but what does this mean? Three questions:

1. Especially for newbies, how do you identify symptomatically when you just over did the 'poison'? Let's compile the list and try and be specific.
2. How many carbs do you have a day and how many does it take before feeling the effect? (I wonder if there's a correlation)
3. What are the biggest culprits in your food list? (The culprit will be based on your individual food lists - pure sugar or bread probably do it for all of us!)

For me:
1. Bloated, racing heart, tired, anxious, nausea.
2. I have between 0-10g a day total and know if I have had 10g in a sitting.
3. Currently peanuts.

Replies

• mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    1.Nausea, lethargic, and just over all feeling horrid.
    2. I generally eat 0-10 grams/day. I feel the worst after 100 grams. I have huge sugar cravings if I go past 30. After 10 grams it's harder for me to control the sugar monster.
    3. I'm a sucker for speciality bread and bagels with cream cheese so those get me. Also potatoes. And anything with raspberry in it. :naughty:
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For me it's...
    1. heartburn, acid stomach & bloating
    2. 30-100g, depending on how the day goes
    3. Bread & mashed potatoes, but really anything white & high carb.

I suspected bread etc may be a trigger a few years ago, it's only now I'm doing this WOE, that I have realised the truth and am trying to do something about it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    1. My experience of adding anything higher carb has been, terrible gas pains, migraines, body pain (from fibromyalgia). I have only intentionally added some ice cream, twice, in 9 months, and was enough of a reaction to make me avoid it completely. I did, purposefully, eat a chocolate bar too, and the results were the same.
    2. I'm set at 20 gm a day, but am usually less than 10. My reactions have been at the above 20 level, so I stay low for the benefits!
    3. I have had nothing "white" in these months, and am fortunate that I don't have a kryptonite food that I can't resist. Pain will make you stick to it! I have found that tomatoes (which I love) make me have migraines
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm averaging around 24g and under. The few times when I've gone up close to 100g I've had terrible stomach aches and diarrhea. The carbs came from mixed alcoholic drinks, and also ice cream, so the sugars probably had a lot to do with it as well.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on what the food is and how much of it I eat. I eat 100 grams or less per day, usually between 40-70. I can tolerate things like mashed potatoes or white rice in small quantities. This week, two days in a row, I had a large cookie. With the chocolate chip I had racing heart, headache, fatigue, hot flashes, acidy stomach ache, and just an extremely anxious, "on-edge" feeling (like too much caffeine, which I suppose is from the sugar). The effects were not as bad with the oatmeal raisin cookie the next day. Not sure why, maybe because there is more fiber in it, and maybe because there was more brown sugar in it than white?
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    1. Only been on keto for a month, but I've had slip-up days and bloating has been my worse side-effect. And feeling of inflammation in my joints.
    2. I try to keep it under 20 g net.
    3. Potatoes are my weakness. And baked goods.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    After too many carbs comes the urge to burn them off with exercise. :)

OK, maybe some mild bloating too.

Too many for me is over 100g.

The culprits? Nuts. Especially cocoa-covered almonds. I should just admit it's an addiction and cut them out, but I can't because it's an addiction. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Symptoms:
    Headache/migraine (inflammation-based)
    Back/hip pain (degenerative disc disease, makes it sensitive to inflammation)
    Fatigue (want to take a nap within about an hour)
    Reduced stress tolerance
    Heartburn/indigestion/gas

Usual intake:
    Goal is 0g, but it's usually up to 30-50g, usually from animal products (dairy, namely) or incidental in spices or whatever. The total amount is less important than the sources.

Culprits:
    Heavy starches (like potatoes), gluten grains (rice seems okay, but it's a starch, so I keep intake to a minimum), and sugars seems to be the biggest ones. Given I don't seem to be triggered by lactose, I suspect it might be the fructose or some other form of sugar in those that isn't present in lactose. I haven't specifically sought to pinpoint it, though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    1. Especially for newbies, how do you identify symptomatically when you just over did the 'poison'?

I get tired. So tired. My reactive hypoglycemia comes back too so when I cut carbs back I get shakes and headaches again.

2. How many carbs do you have a day and how many does it take before feeling the effect? (I wonder if there's a correlation)

I need to stay under 20g of carbs, and if I am honest with myself, I feel better under 10 or 15 g of carbs.

I was starting to eat over 30g of carbs o most days and my hypoglycemia was back and my blood glucose crept back up into prediabetic range. Headaches and fatigue were getting common.

3. What are the biggest culprits in your food list? (The culprit will be based on your individual food lists - pure sugar or bread probably do it for all of us!)

Nuts are a big one, especially if I add coconut and cacao nibs or (even worse) xylitol sweetened chocolate chips. A big bag of sugar-snap peas with a cheese dip can undo me... any veggie used as a dipper for my asiago artichoke dip - I should really just use a spoon! LOL

I haven't had starches like bread, muffins, rice or noodles in about 5 months. I can skip those okay. Soda and candy would destroy my resolve so I won't touch them.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    1. Bloating!!, Gas,feeling stuffed and sometimes regret.

2. 20 gr or less. Treat days no limit.

3. On a treat day anything goes, depending on what I have a taste for, Chinese food, Mexican food or anything that really sounds good
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Tummy distress including bloating, cramping, nausea and (TMI) diarrhea .
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    1. Especially for newbies, how do you identify symptomatically when you just over did the 'poison'? Let's compile the list and try and be specific.

For me, there's a difference between general carbs and sugar. General carbs, I feel lethargic and get serious bloating. If it's bread/pasta, I have what I call the "bread brick." I can literally feel it moving through my system and it's usually painful the entire time. Veggie carbs don't usually bother me. If it's a really fibrous veggie like broccoli stalks, then I might get some pain, but no carb problems.

If it's sugar, well, that's when things get really interesting. My limit before nausea is 8g. Once I hit 10g, that's it. I get full dumping syndrome and it's a doozy. I literally lie in a pool of my own sick until it's over, sometimes a couple of hours, because it projectiles out of both ends.

My max is 35g net and I subtract my fibre. I don't subtract sugar alcohols. If it's just general carbs, I start feeling sleepy if I get more than about 10g every 2-3 hours. I don't often hit 35g. My most common days hit right around 20-25g. Again, actual sugar is a whole nother animal.

Muscle Milk is actually top of the list, but I don't worry about that considering how much protein I get. It's often an entire meal, so I'm not worried about the calories either. After that, it's dairy. Triple Zero Greek yogurt and Fairlife for my coffee/tea are the top offenders. After that, it's when I carb cycle using an Atkins bar of some kind. Granted, it's mostly fibre for the bars, but I still have to be careful.

My carb indulgence is a Soy Misto from Starbucks, although those don't happen often. Usually once every two weeks for 13g each.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I eat under 20g a day total. I don't eat carb replacement foods (nut flours and such). I don't get any immediate issues if I do eat carbs, although its been 8 months since I've done so the only thing I notice is if I kick myself out of ketosis (like I've eaten out somewhere and maybe eaten too many incidental carbs in a sauce or something) I will get the hunger back. That's the difference. In keto I get "it's time to eat something" out of keto I get "omg I'm starving, I want a pizza or a bowl of pasta" (not that I eat these things, but that's how it feels).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I struggle with questions like this, because in general, I don't have these reactions.

It took my 5 days of eating crazy high carb with candy and pie aplenty to realize I had inflammation, another day of some biscuits and such to realize heartburn was trying to surface, and a few other moderate things, but I can't pinpoint them to anything specific, because I went full on carb junkie for a while there...

Many of these effects I WISH I had more often, because they wouldn't be temptations.

And as I'm just back on plan day 2 today, I'm not going to list my biggest temptations....
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    1) Nausea, bloating, stomach cramps... I generally just want to go purge until it ends, but I don't. Also, fatigue. And the next day, I am puffy and lethargic and my hips ache. I also get breakouts. I haven't noticed anything else really. The racing heart and anxiety stuff has always happened for me when I eat too much sugar, specifically (but I can drink two pots of coffee a day without such symptoms as long as I don't use sweeteners. Go figure.)

2) I think my goal is set for 32g a day right now. I notice problems when I go over 50g, I'd guess. I haven't really looked that far into it--I just know if I have a high-carb day I'm going to be in pain the next day. 25g is my sweet spot, but I haven't been good at that lately.

3) Darn peanut butter! :( I stopped eating it every day, and I immediately lost a couple pounds.