Freaking out a little.....

Options
boncharlie
boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
I am 6 weeks out from a sleve and have stalled - gaining and losing same 2 kilos in last 2 weeks! Its so frustrating and depressing! Im having about 550 cals a day and 40 - 50 grams protein. Was worried it was not enough cals so upped it yesterday ( thanks to the help of cashew nuts) to 700 to see if that would break it.... but nope.
I know its early days but Im worried that maybe this won't work for me.
Back story- My mum had a sleeve 2 years ago and then had to have the bypass this year due to not losing and bad reflux. I never want to have that kind of surgery again!
Would love some advice... I dont see dietician for another 4 weeks. I know she will tell me to stop counting cals and try and hit protein. Did anyone else go through similar probs at the beginning?

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Stalls happen, it'll pass soon enough.
  • boncharlie
    Options
    Yeah I know... its a marathon not a sprint. Just didnt think a stall would happen this early for this long.. oh well... what can I do right? Lol..
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Please stop all freaking immediately :) It's very common to have that sort of experience, and I agree that your calorie level is pretty low. Step back and think about it from a logical perspective, too - could you really eat 700 calories a day (or 800 or 900) and NOT lose weight eventually? I get frustrated when I hit these stalls too, but that will pick up again. Are you taking photos and measurements? I've been doing this approximately every two weeks since surgery on 9/10 and can see a difference each time. As a matter of fact, the biggest change in appearance and measurements came when I lost the least amount of weight for a two week period. I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but for some reason that's what can happen. Trust the process, eat well, do your reasonable amount of exercise, and you'll be doing great :)
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Many of us have a stall 3-6 weeks post op. I've not heard of a single person on here who didn't break it eventually and start losing again. Your body has just gone through a huge change, and is in a bit of shock. When it realizes that it really isn't going back to how things used to be, it will start losing again. Eat your protein and sip your water.

I went through this stall too, and I was SO scared I would be that one person that it wouldn't work for. Here I am, 8 months later, a mere 20lbs from my ultimate goal weight, and already surpassed my surgeon's 1 year goal for me.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sinderstorm- great news on your progress and great advice!
  • boncharlie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice peeps.... This is such a mental game - can't seem to switch off the over analysing!

Galgomom- I think you are right about intake. I have been struggling as I am not hungry and really find it hard to increase food intake.. Might start having snacks - almonds or cheese triangles and see if that helps.

Sinderstorm - that is exactly how I'm feeling now - like I might be the one person where it doesn't work. Thanks for the reassurance..
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Deep breath. I'm 10mo post-RNY and have gone through a few stalls. They all broke in a few weeks and the weight kept coming off.

I will say to stop expecting immediate results. If you're seriously using words like "today" and "yesterday" when looking at numbers, you need to lengthen your game. If you haven't lost anything at all in 3-4 weeks, then it's time to worry. Today and tomorrow certainly won't work and anything less than 10 days is you being impatient.

Track your weight, do it every day at the same time, wearing the same thing, under the same circumstances. For me, that's 5a every day after I pee, before I eat or drink anything, naked. I mentally log that weight. For the first 6 months, I wrote it down. Now it's just a mental thing. As long as the number drops (or at least doesn't go up) every 10 days, you're fine. My "official" weight is the one I take Tuesday mornings. That's the one I log for the doctor. Everything else is just me watching the normal weight fluctuations of my body.

You're going to hold water, especially as you increase activity and exercise. You'll hold water if you eat a little more salt than you normally do. If you're weighing at any point after you've had anything to eat or drink, you're weighing food and water. Clothes weigh, urine and feces weigh. Seriously, I can lose a pound just going to the bathroom. You cannot track your weight that closely or you'll get frustrated just like you are now.

Take a deep breath and trust the process. Patience is the hardest thing to eat every day.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You should be getting 80-100g protein daily. Focus on that and your water intake. Stalls are normal!!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Focus on the habits. Eating right, moving, etc. The scale is just one measurement of "success". Try not to weigh yourself too often if that number is becoming an obsession.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve 4.5 years ago. My weight loss was never consistent. I would lose and then nothing for a few days and then lose some more. So two things. One, it's way too early in the process to freak out. Trust your sleeve and the program. Follow what the doctor/nutritionist says for calories and protein amounts. Two, do not weigh yourself daily! I know you want to, but really, that will just drive you crazy (and yes I say this from personal experience). Pick a day and have that be your weigh day. For me, it's Saturday morning after I get up and use the bathroom, before coffee. That's it, no more than once a week. The sleeve and the process work if you follow the program. The more you tweak it or push the envelope so to speak, the harder it is. Again, that's personal experience speaking. Hang in there, it's early days yet. You can make this work, I promise.
  • boncharlie
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice..... I do weigh myself daily but I really only take notice of the weekly weigh ins and so far this stall has lasted 3 weeks - much more frustrating than a 3 day stall!!

I have decided to focus on health and stamina and have started swimming to increase fitness. My cals are still fairly low - struggling with protein intake as I am so OVER protein shakes and have a weird aversion to putting protein powder in everything... I am 6 weeks into this so I am hoping I will either find my groove and break my stall or I will just be happy with feeling healthier by being able to walk and swim further than I did before the surgery...

Thanks again for the advice - this group is a great support :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Also, are you measuring yourself? Sometimes, you can be losing inches and not lose pounds. If you aren't, now is a good time to start. The closer you get to goal, the more you'll count body recomposition and not loss of pounds as markers of success.