My Top Ten Keys To Weight Loss: #5 - Consistent Metric Checking (weigh ins and MORE)

Options
As you work toward your weight loss goals (notice I say goals because you need interim goals in addition to your long term goal), it is critical to regularly and consistently check your health metrics. Everyone focuses on their weight which of course is the main metric we are checking, but we need to be checking other metrics as well.

You have to figure out what best works for you for frequency of weigh ins. For me personally, early on in my journey, I preferred to weigh myself only once a week. Many of us have a hard time dealing with fluctuation (ups and downs) on a daily basis. You will also notice that your weight can vary throughout the course of the day, usually between 2-4 pounds. I tend to be heavier by 2-3 pounds in the late afternoon than I am in the mornings. Because of this variance, it is absolutely critical that you consistently weigh in at the same time, the same place, on the same scale, and under the same circumstances as much as possible. This limits variances by time of day, differences in scales, and circumstances like before or after you eat or even go to the bathroom if I may be so blunt. I weigh in once a week in our compnay's wellness center and even have the nurse there log my weight on the same scale. That scale is also a TANITA scale which can collect other measurements if I weigh in with my socks off, so we do that once a month. There are a lot of scales on the market now that can measure some of these things. But use the same scale, and if you have the ability to utilize a third party observer like I do, that enhances the accountability factor I mentioned in my previous post. Find the frequency that works for you. We are all different. For those who are data geeks, they like to track more frequent numbers. Focus on the long term results though, not the daily ups and downs.

Equally important to seeing and measuring progress is regularly (though probably less frequently) measuring your body including waist, neck, arms, calf (lower leg), and anything else you want. You may actually see a waist size reduction when the pounds are coming off more slowly and that can enciurage you. You will likely need someone to help you to get accurate measurements.

Finally, as regularly as possible, check your other medical metrics as much as feasible such as blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, and for those of us who are diabetic, sugar and A1C. Not only will these numbers be encouraging to you as you see them drop and normalize, but they will also help you and your doctor make sure your medications are correct and help you manage your health and make adjustments.

To see your progress, you need these metrics. And also to manage your way to being healthy. Well, gotra go, it is time for my daily walk. OH, and by the way, you can use a fitness tracker to count steps and other metrics to manage your fitness as well! I just started using a FitBit, and it really helps. I think they overestimate calories burned, so be a little skeptical there and compare with other estimates like the activity metrics in MFP's exercise diary.

Until next time....happy metric checking!