Thanksgiving plans

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
We had planned to have thanksgiving dinner at home, the four of us, and DH (who cooks the holiday dinners) and I had figured a good LCHF-friendly menu.

Then we just got an invitation from friends to join them instead and DH would like to go. How do you all handle dinners like this at someone else's home? Do you bring an LCHF dish or two yourself? Do you explain your WOE to the host? I don't want to be an inconvenience or have her feel like she needs to change her traditional menu just for one weirdo. I also don't want to be stuck eating only turkey and feeling deprived though.

Ideally I might bring garlic parm mashed cauliflower and keto pumpkin cheesecake but at this gathering I think I'd be the only person who would eat either of those, which could be awkward. Soo... How do you all handle situations like this?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    This is my first keto Thanksgiving but it's my 6th gluten free one so I have experience being the weirdo who can't eat anything. I usually bring a couple of dishes that I can eat and then help myself to the turkey. Sometimes I'm the only one who eats it but holiday dinners are so hectic no one seems to notice. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    This is my second keto Thanksgiving.

I don't explain myself.
    I fix my plate: turkey, non-carbed veggie, plus dishes I brought and enjoy them. Which includes deviled eggs, which my Carb-a-Lot in-laws love so much.

IMO, making comments about others' food choices is rude. Chances are they will be too busy stuffing their own faces to notice. That doesn't stop my brother-in-laws from saying stupid things. I just get to put them in their place. Fun fun. :+1: I'm polite to my husbands' parents though. It helps me that MIL is now diabetic and refusing to take meds so she's eating lower-carb.

I understand how you feel. I went to brother-in-law and wife's house for dinner once and ended up eating only turkey. I kid you not! They looked at me so funny. But they didn't say anything. Since then they've served at least one other healthy food. So my meat doesn't get lonely. :lol:
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    If anyone has any good keto/LCHF recipes that would be good to take/share for a Thanksgiving dinner, I'd love links!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to take these rolls (http://www.lowcarbreviews.com/swedish-breakfast-buns/), a low carb cranberry sauce, and some form of mashed cauliflower. I'll take enough to share - there are three others with diabetes who will be there. None of them are paying any attention to what they eat - but maybe if there are healthy, yummy alternatives they will partake!

I have 3 feasts to get through this year - my first on a low carb diet. Tomorrow is the first, then Thursday and Friday. (And a doctor's visit on 12/4, by which I had hoped to lose 20 lbs to keep me motivated...I'm at 18.1)

Of course, I'm also the pumpkin pie lady - so I will be bringing pie that none of us should eat. And with that - I'm about to bake the first 16 pies of the season for tomorrow's feast!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    This is my second keto Thanksgiving.

I don't explain myself.
    I fix my plate: turkey, non-carbed veggie, plus dishes I brought and enjoy them. Which includes deviled eggs, which my Carb-a-Lot in-laws love so much.

IMO, making comments about others' food choices is rude. Chances are they will be too busy stuffing their own faces to notice. That doesn't stop my brother-in-laws from saying stupid things. I just get to put them in their place. Fun fun. :+1: I'm polite to my husbands' parents though. It helps me that MIL is now diabetic and refusing to take meds so she's eating lower-carb.

I understand how you feel. I went to brother-in-law and wife's house for dinner once and ended up eating only turkey. I kid you not! They looked at me so funny. But they didn't say anything. Since then they've served at least one other healthy food. So my meat doesn't get lonely. :lol:

I am bringing deviled eggs, kielbasa and cheese and my cheesy cauliflower casserole, which I wasn't going to bother with but my grandmother in law whom I adore has requested it specifically (and one of my husband's aunts too).

Last year I ate no carby foods, not even desert, and no one said a word. I didn't make a big deal out of it and I had lost a very visible amount of weight since the last time I saw most of these people.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    @nicsflyingcircus could you share your cheesy cauliflower casserole recipe? That sounds amazing.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    @nicsflyingcircus could you share your cheesy cauliflower casserole recipe? That sounds amazing.

It's a head of cauliflower, steamed until soft but not mushy then well drained and broken down into small florets. The sauce is roughly 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1tsp garlic(granulated), 1 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp black pepper. Bring to a slow simmer and add 2oz cream cheese and 2oz shredded extra sharp cheddar. Stir til it all melts together and thickens slightly. Grease an 8*8 pan lightly, add the cauliflower and sauce and incorporate, then sprinkle 2 more oz shredded extra sharp cheddar over the top. At this point, if you are premaking (as I will be) cover with tinfoil and refrigerate. If planning to consume soon, pop it in the oven at 350 for 10 min or so, then I like to give it a quick broil. If heating from cold, 350 for 20,then broil.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I am bringing a LCHF desert called "Pumpkin sex in a pan desert" (it contains pumpkin, chocolate and whipped cream - YUM!) so there is at least one "safe" goodie worthy of the occasion and I'm also bringing an hor d'oeuvre consisting of a Persian cucumber sliced thin, and each slice topped with feta cheese and few pomegranate seeds.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to bring a few dishes most places. I'm a celiac and so eating at other's homes safely can be tricky. My loved ones are quite used to me bringing extra, GF dishes along so no one bats an eye if the dishes happen to be low/lower carb. I bring enough for everybody and most people enjoy my cooking.

... GF, sugar-free, nut-free desserts are another story. They are an acquired taste since my family loves it's sugars. LOL Doesn't matter, I still bring enough for anybody who wants it.
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I am bringing a LCHF desert called "Pumpkin sex in a pan desert" (it contains pumpkin, chocolate and whipped cream - YUM!) so there is at least one "safe" goodie worthy of the occasion and I'm also bringing an hor d'oeuvre consisting of a Persian cucumber sliced thin, and each slice topped with feta cheese and few pomegranate seeds.

Ohhh, can you share that recipe?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am making this for Christmas!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    This is my first keto Tday, but my second doing low carb. My daughter said, "Ma! Hey, bring some of that keto food stuff you've been talking about," so that's what I'm doing. I'm essentially taking an entire meal to her house, with recipe cards, for anyone who wants to try it. That means I can guarantee an entire meal for hubby and me that's keto-friendly and maybe get a few converts.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    This is my first keto Tday, but my second doing low carb. My daughter said, "Ma! Hey, bring some of that keto food stuff you've been talking about," so that's what I'm doing. I'm essentially taking an entire meal to her house, with recipe cards, for anyone who wants to try it. That means I can guarantee an entire meal for hubby and me that's keto-friendly and maybe get a few converts.

What a fantastic idea!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I go to my moms and I just bring a few low carb sides that my family actually loves. Also I am making a low carb cheesecake pie with nut crust for dessert. My mom is cooking healthy too....non hormone turkey, squash and she said NO pies, lol
    I am making fresh green bean casserole with homemade cream sauce with heavy cream ,onion, garlic, butter and parm cheese instead of canned soup. Top only half with French fried onions for those who want it. Yellow squash casserole...with cheddar, eggs, cream, onions, s&p...mashed together and baked until browned. I am also making cauliflower mash as someone else mentioned. Cannot wait!!
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My son and his gf have gone back to eating some meat in their diet rather than completely vegetarian.
    What we have done for the last few years is have a potluck at his house (because of scheduling conflicts that will probably happen Saturday).
    So I am making this New York Times recipe using turkey instead of chicken, and cauliflower instead of parsnips:
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014468-coconut-chicken-curry-with-cashews