Seeking supplement advice - trying to make very unhealthy weight loss, less unhealthy

Options
walterm852
walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
Background- Despite our reminders to him about upcoming wrestling season, my Son's (senior in HS) football season just ended and he was 205lbs, wrestling season started right away and he wants to wrestle 170 (certified by state guidelines to lose to 164, so he has weight to lose, he is 5'8 ). He was going to eat celery for 2 weeks, I at least got him eating protein (chicken, venison, salmon, tuna tilapia) for the past week. He wants to do it in 3 weeks.
He knows we do NOT approve of this crash, but I am trying to help where i can. I am reaching out to the forum to about supplements:
1) L-Glutamin
2) Pro Synthagen (L-Leucine, L-Lysine, L-Phenyllaline, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Threonine, L-Histidine, L-Taurine, L-Tyrptophan)
Substrates - Beta Alanine, Orotic Acid, Tri-Methyl-Glycine, PEAK ATP, Full Spectrum '10 levseins" Rhaponticum Carthoides Extract, Magnesium Salt (vegetable source)
3) 1 sugar free Protein shake/Muscle milk type drink per day. I am concerned about the metals in Muscle milk, but I need to get his a protein source he can access while at school. He will not bring a shaker.

Would you add or subtract anything?

Please remember, against our advice he is doing this, the only headway I have made is getting better food in him, I do not know the supplement world that well, so thats the advice I am asking seeking.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss" handbook is a pretty good resource on crash dieting without killing yourself. It has supplementation guidelines as well. I suggest picking it up, it was cheap (like $10?).

I believe his top supplements were fish oil, calcium and electrolytes (sodium, potassium and magnesium).

Having said that, 30lbs in 3 weeks...that's gonna be rough. Eating no carbs will drop close to 10lbs most likely, but 20lbs of actual weight loss on top of that? Even if he ate no food for three weeks I think it'd still be close. He'd have to cut water weight to make a weigh-in on top of eating basically nothing. He'll be weak as hell too. Depends on how far you/he wants to take it, there are fighters who cut that amount of weight (mainly water through extreme dehydration) prior to a fight so it's possible.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    30lbs in 3 weeks is freakin' insane and as a parent I would do whatever it takes to put a stop to that.

That being said, if he's going for rapid fat loss I'd check out Lyle's book as Dope mentions above.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Had his heart checked out?

Really - the stress on his body from that decision - have his heart checked for any abnormalities before he wrestles, just in case.

Nothing like missing the season by a foolish choice to learn a lesson.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, "rapid Fat loss" is on the way ...

Guys/gals- he said 30 lbs in 3weeks not knowing what he was saying. In 2 weeks it's been 15 pounds, of which the first 8 came off quickly. He won't be at 30 till after Christmas if he decides he still wants to go there.

Side steel, I agree 30 in3weeks is insane. We were NOT supporting it at all. As I recommended better diet, I knew supplements could help, thus the question. Thanks for the responses