1 Year and 3 Months Out. Can't lose and appetite is back.

Options
leodb66
leodb66 Posts: 3 Member
Hi All,
49 year old male here had the sleeve done in September 2014 Lost a total of 105# and would like to lose 20-30# more, but, I have been doing a lot of grazing and picking during the day. I pick on healthy nutritious foods like nuts and rice cakes and peanut butter. I want to get back to feeling satisfied without the grazing. Any suggestions? I have been at my current weight of 225# for about 6 months.

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Go back to the pre-surgery basics. High-protein, low carb. Deli meats, Greek yogurt, and low fat cheeses FTW, as well as protein shakes. I've heard of people doing a "pouch test" and it giving good resultshttp://coloradobariatric.com/5-day-pouch-test/ . The grazing has come back for me as well, but I'm trying hard to log everything and hold myself accountable.

I know you can do this, you just have to get back to the basics of what was helping you lose in the first place.
  • cmcm789
    cmcm789 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will be 2 years out and my honeymoon period ended at 8 months, appetite came back and I basically can eat most everything. Old habits are also coming back. I long for the days when I did not think about food and was able to be satisfied with a very small amount. I am also looking for suggestions and tips. This website is great but it is mostly for those just going through WLS, but what about those that are over a year out? This is when it really gets hard. It scares me that I will gain all the weight back and that I will have failed after being given this "Gift" of WLS. :(
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am over two years out, I have been struggling a bit. The grazing has come back for me too. I have been doing exactly what anbrdr suggests. I am doing the 5 day pouch test this week, and getting back to basics. I also just don't keep things around that are "grazeable" or are problems for me. I have upped my physical activity, and I try to keep myself busy. I started crocheting and making jewelry, and when my hands and brain are busy, I don't even think about grazing or food as much. We only have surgery once, but we have to constantly regroup, rethink our strategy, and go through some trial and error to see what works. This is when the work really starts and we have to be constantly mindful.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I too welcome a discussion for those post honeymoon. I'm 13 months out, I've lost 145 lbs and feel like I could lose another 10 lbs (I'm 185 now). I'm just starting to get hungry again. I still don't snack, but I am eating more carbs, chips or bread when eating out, alcohol, occasional dessert. I'm almost fanatical about working out an hour a day, and that feels good. I don't want to return to old habits, but clearly the honeymoon is ending for me and I want to maintain the discipline I've learned over the last year. I know it's about eating protein and produce, and not too much...
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I brought this up to my NUT, and she said that snacking is fine, as long as it fits in with the daily goals, carrots and other low starch veggies, turkey pepperoni slices, dried edamame, etc. a lot of these things can curb the boredom chewing, and so does making sure you stay well-hydrated.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve in 2010. Managed to lose about 70 pounds after surgery, but was so sick with bile reflux, nausea, and vomiting bile (for almost four years!) that I had to be converted to RNY to keep the bile from being able to get to my stomach. Once I reached my lowest weight achieved with the sleeve (208) I immediately began to regain. I regained about 60 lbs.

In my self assessment before the RNY was done in Jan this year, I realized I had returned to eating the same foods that I had eaten before the sleeve. Justifying them, since I couldn't eat much! Was terribly wrong! I realized I was being given another chance to get it right! My research led me to a completely different way of eating. I haven't, and will not ever, return to eating the same foods! The weight loss (I was told not to expect to lose any weight after converting to RNY, it was therapeutic, not FOR weight loss) has been wonderful! Right now I'm at 190 lbs (Yay, Onederland!!), and can see that my goal weight of 160lb. will happen! Plus, I've not had to kill myself with exercise to do it either!

I will be honest. If I had found my current way of eating before the sleeve, I would have never had it done! Wouldn't have needed it! Just being truthful here that I do regret having WLS! But, we can't change our past! We can only change our future by our choices today! Best to all!
  • cmcm789
    Options
    I am so glad to see that others have posted on this topic that it is a struggle after the honeymoon period and that you need to be very careful. I got Fat in my life because of bad habits and even with the weight loss the bad habits will come out. I have invested a lot more time and energy into making better decisions, but it is still a struggle and you can fall off the "Wagon" but it is one day at a time. I really hope there are "Newbies" out there that are reading this post and realize not to take the "easy" weight loss for granted because it will become a struggle. Your body is an amazing machine and just because you tricked it once, it will regulate itself to whatever you hand it.

I hope that those that have had WLS over a year ago post and advise what has worked for them and has been successful for them.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 years out and this is exactly why I came back to this thread! I've gained back 20 lbs and it's all snacking. I also have NO dumping, so I can pretty much eat and drink whatever in smaller quantities (but I can certainly graze junk food all day if I'm not careful!). I'm here for the reset motivation :) The other thread with the pics of meals is amazing, as I've really forgotten how to get my protein in. I think I'm basically going to start my post op diet again. Good luck to everyone!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    cmcm789 wrote: »
    I am so glad to see that others have posted on this topic that it is a struggle after the honeymoon period and that you need to be very careful. I got Fat in my life because of bad habits and even with the weight loss the bad habits will come out. I have invested a lot more time and energy into making better decisions, but it is still a struggle and you can fall off the "Wagon" but it is one day at a time. I really hope there are "Newbies" out there that are reading this post and realize not to take the "easy" weight loss for granted because it will become a struggle. Your body is an amazing machine and just because you tricked it once, it will regulate itself to whatever you hand it.

I hope that those that have had WLS over a year ago post and advise what has worked for them and has been successful for them.

OK, so I'm just about 17 months out, so I'm by no means a "veteran". Nor am I putting myself out there as some kind of WLS superstar. My number one piece of advise is to plan ahead. I need to l know what I'm eating for the day so I can plan it out, log it here and make any necessary changes if my planned menu doesn't fit my needs. If I'm going to be out and about, I make sure I have a protein bar or jerky or something so I don't hit the drive -thru somewhere.

Listen, I've come to the realization that I will always be a fat kid on the inside no matter what I look like on the outside. Some days (most days) are better than others, but on my weak days I struggle mightily with head hunger and cravings. I'm usually victorious, but if I fall off the wagon and overindulge, I own it, LOG IT, and move on.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel like my surgery was "forever" ago (13 months) and I seem to have forgotten everything I learned. Everyday I say I'm going to start the 5DPT and be faithful in getting back on track and back to what I know I need to do. First I forgave myself a 5 pound gain saying "I had gotten too thin". Then it was 10 pounds, then 15 now 20 lbs of excess "garbage" food weight. The one thing I did religiously when I was focused on my weight loss - I stayed connected to my support group on MyFitnessPal and BariatricPal. Reading all of these posts has helped me to feel less "ashamed" of my situation and more determined to re-energize and focus on my eating habits.
    Thank you!
  • cmcm789
    Options
    Hello WLS Veterans, I would really like to see everyone past the honeymoon stage and now struggling Dialogue to continue. I have to stop beating myself up about the regain and start to focus on 2016 a new year, and a new attitude to lose what I regained and go back to the basics. I am going to do the pre diet test of the protein drinks for breakfast, lunch and snacks, and then a healthy protein and vegetable dinner for 2 weeks to get back on track. I did it once and it wasn't that hard because I had the goal of surgery ahead of me. I often see remarkable weight loss numbers from people prior to the surgery and wonder if because the goal of the surgery is there does this make it easier? Why could we not do it without the goal of surgery ahead of us? Post surgery over a Year needs just as much if not MORE support than the pre and new surgery. People who know that I had the surgery look at me and see that I have regained some of the weight and I can see the disappointment or the judgment in their eyes. I swore to myself that I would lose the weight and never go back, but did not expect the same struggles I had prior to surgery would remain in my life. I look in the mirror and see my own disappointment and judgment of myself looking back and see failure. Good Luck to ME in 2016!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your struggles. One of my biggest fears is regaining the weight I've lost. I am still in the weight loss phase but only a few pounds away from my goal weight. I have a great dietitian and she suggested I make a 1 year plan for maintenance, which includes, goal setting, logging my food, and exercise. She believes that if I can stick to a good plan the first year at goal I will develop enough good habits to keep the weight off. She said just repeat the plan year over year until it becomes more than just a habit and is my new life with food, exercise, etc.

During the past year while losing the weight I've also been working that plan to use when I get to my goal weight because I know the real work begins then. Losing is easy it's the keeping it off I've failed at so many times in the past. One commitment I made to myself was not to bring anything home that were my 'Kryptonite' foods like, chips, snacks, pizza, bread, cookies. You don't see Superman out playing with Kryptonite so why would I play with foods I can't resist. Not having foods in the house I don't want is easy for me since I have no kids but I realize it may be difficult for other people. Like a AngryViking said above 'I know I'm a fat kid on the inside'. I just have to figure out a way to keep the fat kid very tiny.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the snacking. That was something specifically forbidden by my doctor. I know I need to get a grip, too. So I started today with a protein shake breakfast and lunch. That's going to be my plan for a while. Meanwhile, I'm not doing well with getting my water in. So, no nibbling and water, water, water. Let's see how long I can do it.
  • nataliestratton3
    nataliestratton3 Posts: 13 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    http://coloradobariatric.com/5-day-pouch-test/. I'm going to be doing this after the new year. Might be worth a try for you as well I was sleeved In June 2014. Sorry I just read up and see that this link has already bee posted. Anyway best of luck!
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am just shy of 10 years out (RNY) and have maintained 110+ loss ( I have about 10-15 to go to TRULY be at my goal weight) but am satisfied with my maintenance for sure. I will say part of my success is d/t my amazing surgeon/staff support. In the first, I'd say 5 years, I went to support groups, I asked questions and most importantly I stuck to the plan. Only at year 8 did I have a taste of soda (big mistake). I had been drinking some diet coke on/off for about a year and half and then just reminded myself (I'm losing quality intake here b/c I am so full from the carbonation) so I quit that as well almost 6 months ago. Not to say it is easy maintaining, bc yes, everything I eat I think about in a different way. But I have ultimately changed how my MIND works, to successfully change how my BODY has worked. I think of dinner as a time to catch up with family or friends, enjoy a BITE of a new food or to celebrate something, but the FOOD ITSELF is never the celebration. I consistently remind myself of the golden rules (at least from my dr) protein, protein, protein, water intake. Along with of course moving my body and watching sugar etc. I try to avoid protein shakes as a reliable source, rather I do have a protein shake after working out for that extra boost. Remember, specifically for RNY I suppose, that when you drink your calories, you'll still be hungry. I snack as well, but have them pre-planned the night before. Apple slices with a pc of cheese & 1tbs peanut butte or PB2, a pc of low fat string cheese rolled in some deli ham. Those type of things. You all CAN DO THIS!!! Its really a mental game sometimes more than a physical game. on the not so "healthy "side of things...something that has always pushed me to keep going....fear- that I would gain back. I wanted this so bad, and I did it, I wasn't going to let old habits ruin it.
    Good luck ya'll... Hope some of that was at least useful from someone who has a few years under her belt. :):)
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories, I am nine months out of surgery and this holiday found myself grazing for the first time...hated it and myself after! Luckily I didn't gain, but finding myself struggling hitting my protein goals now in the aftermath. I am ready to hit the basics hard again!