Thanksgiving Strategies?

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
Anyone have any good strategies for getting through the most foodiest time of the year?

I am joining friends for the holiday, and fortunately I know what they are serving, so I am able to plan how, what and when I will eat. I plan to treat dinner as any other meal, protein first etc., and all of my other meals will be normal during the day. I am not allowing myself to be overwhelmed by the quantity and variety of food that will be around.

I don't know about you, but before surgery I often felt like food had a grip on me. I don't feel that way at all any more. I have gotten a handle on things and I know staying healthy is just a matter of good choices. I'm not always perfect, but I am much improved!!

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    We had our extended family Thanksgiving meal last weekend, and I let myself splurge a bit in that I didn't deny myself the foods - I just took a very small spoonful of each kind. That way, I didn't overstuff myself and didn't feel awful. In truth, I ended up taking maybe 1-2 tastes out of the spoonfuls and didn't even finish what all was there. That way, I wasn't a slave to cravings, I didn't feel denied of anything but I still stayed within my guidelines. The exception was turkey - I knocked myself out there. :smile:
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think having a small taste of the old favorites will not be terrible. I'll also plan on getting in some extra exercise and going lighter throughout the day (maybe shakes for breakfast and dinner). Everyone in my family are excellent at cooking/baking, so the temptation will be monstrous.
    I also decided to bring a side dish and desert, both of which are keto friendly choices. I'm making a Broccoli Amandine with bacon, and chocolate peanut butter fat bombs. Both of which have negligible carbs, and decent calories. I'll post recipes in the Chef thread, if anyone's interested.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that I'm one of 3 adults at my family's Thanksgiving table who has had some kind of WLS. So much of what we're doing is low carb/low sugar because of that. Turkey first, I will have a bit of my lower carb, high protein stuffing we make, a few veggies, and skip the rolls, potatoes, etc. I've also made a sugar free cheesecake with almond crust, which if I have room for, I'll have a sliver. If not, that's fine too. I refuse to make myself sick, and will just make sure I'm on point with my food the rest of the day. And decline the offers to take home leftovers.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my daughter's house and literally taking an entire keto meal with me. That way, people can taste (and I'm taking recipe cards too) and I know there's plenty of food hubby and I can have. I'm all about sharing a tasty way to eat healthy, so I'm happy to put in the work.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    im gonna have a spoonfull of everything except dessert
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm taking my keto friendly foods too! Shredded cabbage sauteed in bacon grease, deviled eggs, and a keto chocolate mousse! My mother and one sister are WLS patients too, but have never been compliant. I plan to stay with my way of eating and enjoy the time with family.