Power vs Energy

blambo61
blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
If a person walks a certain distance, the energy expended getting there is the same no matter how fast you go to get there. If you get someplace fast, the power level you operated at to get there was higher than if you went slower but the energy expended (cals) is the same whether you go fast or slow.

How does going faster help us then in loosing cals? I think the answer is that the higher power levels required for going faster (or lifting heavier) will increase our base metabolism rate. I'm not sure how that works but maybe going faster helps develop bigger mitochondria to handle the power levels required to go faster which then require more energy to function when peak loads are not placed on them thus upping the bmr. Any biologists out there to explain?

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    In terms of weight loss, walking is superior, except that running or sprinting has a higher calorie demand. But it also is more catabolic and harder on the body, so your body has to build up what was torn down, which, yes, does increase metabolic rate, but does not really help in the short-term with weight loss. Whereas walking doesn't burn sugars, just calories, which are more effective. That's why every treadmill recommends having a lower target heart rate for fat burning. Hard, vigorous activity does condition the body, but weight loss is superior with steady, longer use of the body. That's why I say, put on an ipod, and if you can, walk two hours a day. It's the ultimate "loser-friendly" exercise, with 500+ cal burns achieved very easily.