Coconut Oil

Options
CMYKRGB
CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
Does anyone have any scientific backing for beneficial use of coconut oil? I love using it, but my nutritionist cautions me from using it because she claims there's no scientific backing. I do have elevated cholesterol levels to begin with, and don't wish to raise the levels any further.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I`ve read a few books on coconut oil and it seems to be a positive thing. It`s a MCT that seems to help make ketones well, lowers triglycerides, raises HDL and changes LDL to the fluffier pattern B without changing the overall number much. I don`t think lowering cholesterol actually improves a woman`s risk of CAD though so I tend to not look to closely at those tests.

MCTs are being tested and used to treat alzheimers now. There are papers on that.

There are many books on the benefits of coconut oil. They seem pretty legit.
  • CMYKRGB
    Options
    Thx. My concern is mostly about LDL levels and not wanting to increase that number. My doctor recommended low carb WOE to address cholesterol levels in the first place.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Dr. Google helps! Also, the main thing to check is your HDL to trig ratio (plug in any 3 numbers and it will estimate the 4th if you don't know it): http://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php

Basically, though, expect total chol to rise on keto diets. Mine did. But my ratios are "ideal" according to that calculator.

http://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-coconut-oil-good-for-you/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz3sZd7x3f0
    and
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/#axzz1wzApo7tI
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    naturalblaze.com/2015/11/only-1-tbsp-of-coconut-oil-produces-powerful-health-changes-study-confirms.html@AnnieHow last year at age 63 I decided to stop dieting period. I started to eat to gain health as my main goal. In my case that was to lose my pain by my Way of Eating.

I had read and researched coconut oil as to being anti bacterial/fungal/viral as well as a source of ketones without being in ketosis. I had read cutting out grains and sugars helped reduced pain. I did all three at the same time over a year ago.

Because I lost most of my pain within 30 days and had been heavy into coconut oil before leaving most all carbs I think it was cutting out either or both the grains and sugars that helped the most with pain reduction.

Daily I still put five tablespoons of coconut oil in my first cup of coffee.

My HDL and triglycerides moved from the red to solid green zones but my LDL doubled in the wrong direction but when testing 90 days later the LDL had dropped by 25%. Our numbers get messed up when losing weight sometimes and takes a while to equalize.

Due to info in another thread by a group member I am working my way to a total cholesterol level of 220 since some research from Japan shows risk of death increases if one's cholesterol level is under 200 or over 240 the best that I remember.

I do think the coconut oil helped cure my 40 years of serious IBS. Plus when eating less than 200 calories daily from carbs we have to get more calories from fats. Currently my HDL number is greater than my triglyceride number giving me a ratio of 0.72 when anything under 2 is good and over 2 is bad.

Below are two articles talk about how cholesterol levels is not the best way to predict heart disease or death due to it. Triglycerides divided by HDL is the best predictor and a ratio of 2 or less is as good as it gets.

Currently the medical understanding of what all of these numbers means is very limited today.

yourmedicaldetective.com/public/523.cfm

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664115/
  • CMYKRGB
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info @GaleHawkins
  • CMYKRGB
    Options
    Thank you, too, @camtosh
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    AnnieHowes wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the info @GaleHawkins

You are welcome. I wanted to add since my last post above because my pain is well managed now and my IBS has been gone for many months plus my health markers have all greatly improved I have cut back on coconut oil usage.

I am down from 5 tablespoons to 1-2 in my first cup of coffee each morning. After maintaining at around 200 pounds for months now with a declining level of appetite I have decide to move from eating high calorie (3000 daily) to more like 2000-2500 to see if the remaining belly fat will keep melting.

In my case I think the coconut oil has been good for a possible fatty liver/leaking gut. In hindsight I think it was cutting out all forms of grains and most all forms of sugars that managed my joint and muscle pain so well that I did not have to start the Enbrel injections for pain management.

Now 15 months into this Way Of Eating with nothing but positive results physically and mentally I plan to keep this WOE for life. Pun intended. :)

@AnnieHowes best of success. Even after 15 months of non stop research I still have so much to learn. MFP brings new subjects to Google every day.