How was Thanksgiving?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
For those who celebrated today, how was your Thanksgiving? What all did you have to eat?

This was my first LCHF Thanksgiving and even though we made a last-minute change to have dinner with friends instead of at our house (so I had no control over the menu), it really went well. I stuck to LCHF pretty well and still felt like I had plenty to eat and amazingly was able to resist the stuffing, sweet potato casserole, rolls and amazing pies (all of which I LOVE; Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite) and focus on enjoying what I *could* have (turkey, brussels sprouts with bacon, and since the rest of the sides were all very carby I then loaded the rest of my plate with apps: deviled eggs, cheese, cocktail shrimp). For dessert I just had a piece of the Atkins pumpkin pecan (I used almond) cheesecake I brought. It wasn't my favorite but did satisfy my desire for a pumpkin dessert.

I'm really impressed by how this WOE is helping me with my cravings and feeling like I NEED carby things. On other WOEs (even other low-carb ones) I would have had a much harder time resisting all those other sides and dessert and probably would have felt deprived and frustrated, or just given in and had small servings of everything.

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

I had turkey, low carb cranberry sauce, an almond flour roll, and twice baked cauliflower. My blood sugar was 117 at 1 hour after eating, and 109 by 2 hours after eating. I'm thrilled! ONe more day to go!

I also baked 32 pumpkin pies, sampling no more than 1 tsp of raw pie dough, and I'm .3 lb away from the goal I set for my next doctor's visit next Friday.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Wow, way to go!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I had turkey, green bean casserole, a few glasses of wine and a few servings of my low carb dessert and still got a small ketones reading from my ketostix! About 100g carbs probably. I was surprised to still be in ketosis!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I made twice baked cauliflower, low carb cranberry sauce, broccoli salad, and a low carb pumpkin swirl cheesecake. I also had turkey, ham, deviled eggs, green beans, and raw veggies with ranch at my two dinners. Overall under 50 carbs and feeling proud.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It was a great day with 70F degrees outside today. I was going to get some bush hogging (mowing fields with a tractor pulling a rotary mower) and change the engine oil in some machines and test the back-up home generator.

It was 7:30 PM before I left the house for the first time to go for my daily walk. In short I was lazy today. :)

The turkey, green peas, cranberry, etc was almost as good as the family all eating at the same time.
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    Was great. I made home made pizza from the crust up for hubby and I had steak and broccoli on the grill and green salad. I also made deviled eggs and had one at lunch time.We had our thanksgiving dinner with out of state friends last month. They were here so I put on a big spread then. I remember I had a big plate of turkey leg and skin and some green salad. This is my second LC Thanksgiving. Doing great and this morning was rewarded with 65 pounds down on the button.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I took the turkey, shredded cabbage sauteed in bacon grease, deviled eggs, and keto chocolate mousse, and that's what I ate. If I hadn't I'd have had only turkey. It seems like they laid out more carbage than usual too. Saboteurs, they are (always have been
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Nailed it!

Ate 3 ounces of peanuts - still on plan.

Frankly all I ate was turkey and black olives. Looking at the carbage made me a little sick.

Next year I want to skip the relatives and have my own keto friendly deliciousness!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yesterday, I ordered a huge piece of prime rib, that I cut in half when it came to the table and ate about 9 oz., Salad, green beans, water. That was all good, and I don't feel like I did anything to derail my progress. yea me!

What annoyed me was my BF. He said he would diet with me when I started this, but after feeding him good LCHF dinners, he then raids the oreo cookies that are for my son! BF needs to lose at least 80 pounds, but he hasn't lost a pound in 6 mos. He complained that he was too fat to fit into his suits, that he was disgusted with himself. He was going to just stay home yesterday...blah. blah. Ok, Finally got him out the door, he ordered the lamb, with stuffing and mashed potatoes, salad.. Fine, his choice, one day Thanksgiving, whatever... Then we had to go to another party in the evening. I had a glass of wine, no food, I was actually still feeling full from all the prime rib. He loaded up on more stuffing, more squash, more turkey, cranberry sauce, then proceeded to eat a huge dessert, even after I said, don't you think you should slow down? I was pretty perturbed by the time we left, he was still picking at the carcass on the way out the door.

I'm doing this WOE for me, and I understand you can't force someone else to eat the way I do, or force them to diet. However, after the hard time he gave me just to get out the door and all his complaining.. it really irked me. I also resent making somewhat expensive meat based LCHF dinners for him, if he's just going to turn around and blow it on ice cream and cookies. How do I tell him, I can't help you if you won't help yourself and frankly I don't want to hear your complaining any more if you won't do something about it?
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had turkey, ham, and the cheesy califlower mash I brought over to the in laws. I didn't track carbs, but I think I did pretty good. I did have teaspoon of my mother in laws sweet potatoes. Turkey is always my favorite anyway. I did probably overeat on that. Overall, I am pretty happy.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    Frankly all I ate was turkey and black olives.

I had only chicken thighs, olives, and hard-boiled eggs! :)
    (skipped the turkey and made my own chicken in a small dish since I'm on a Whole30 right now and there was sugar in the injection fluid :-/)

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Yesterday, I ordered a huge piece of prime rib, that I cut in half when it came to the table and ate about 9 oz., Salad, green beans, water. That was all good, and I don't feel like I did anything to derail my progress. yea me!

What annoyed me was my BF. He said he would diet with me when I started this, but after feeding him good LCHF dinners, he then raids the oreo cookies that are for my son! BF needs to lose at least 80 pounds, but he hasn't lost a pound in 6 mos. He complained that he was too fat to fit into his suits, that he was disgusted with himself. He was going to just stay home yesterday...blah. blah. Ok, Finally got him out the door, he ordered the lamb, with stuffing and mashed potatoes, salad.. Fine, his choice, one day Thanksgiving, whatever... Then we had to go to another party in the evening. I had a glass of wine, no food, I was actually still feeling full from all the prime rib. He loaded up on more stuffing, more squash, more turkey, cranberry sauce, then proceeded to eat a huge dessert, even after I said, don't you think you should slow down? I was pretty perturbed by the time we left, he was still picking at the carcass on the way out the door.

I'm doing this WOE for me, and I understand you can't force someone else to eat the way I do, or force them to diet. However, after the hard time he gave me just to get out the door and all his complaining.. it really irked me. I also resent making somewhat expensive meat based LCHF dinners for him, if he's just going to turn around and blow it on ice cream and cookies. How do I tell him, I can't help you if you won't help yourself and frankly I don't want to hear your complaining any more if you won't do something about it?

Someone needs to make their own choices. Can you seperate the action you observed from the emotions and then discuss the goal with him? For example:

I observed that it is hard for both of us to be disciplined everyday with what we eat and how much we eat. I find it frustrating when you choose to eat double helpings then complain to me that you are not loosing weight. I would love to be supportive for both of us. What can we do differently to help us both achieve our goals and be kind to each other, knowing we will both have moments, sometimes days where we struggle and even derail?
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It was an awesome Tday! I took an entire keto meal to my daughter's and the keto food was gone. I literally had no food left to bring home. I think of the 10 people, I may have gotten 2 keto converts and everyone wanted the loaded cauliflower mash recipe. Making and then moving an entire Tday meal was extra work, but so worth it.

I finished only 42 cals over and on point for net carbs. Hubby did well too. Although it's not a meaningful number in such a short time, I "lost" .25lbs and hubby lost .4lbs since yesterday morning. Even if all we did was maintain, this may be the first Tday ever that we can say that.

Total success.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Well I worked. And some fool, namely me brought doughnuts, so what does that tell you??
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    My Thanksgiving was awesome .....45 guest at my house .....cooked for the past 3 days which wore me out ...I didn't track yesterday because I wanted to enjoy my company instead of tracking calories .....I ate prime rib, some turkey , bacon and smoked gouda cauiflower mash , a couple of bites of cornbread stuffing , aspargus wrapped in proscuitto a few apps ....a sliced of chocolate cream pie with oreo crust (which didn't agree with me and my tummy still hurts this mornings ) This was my 1st LCHF holiday so overall I didn't do to bad and I am only up 2 lbs as of this morning
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My first meat free LCHF turkey day too..I was VERY thankful for the choice to eat high fat…I indulged in LC cheesecake, went over 2100 calories for the day, 180 gr fat..all high for me...and had made real turkey broth the days before so hot veggie soup with the broth was great..we are having extra cold, cover the plants, ice-on-the-roof freezing nights…unusual so close to the ocean!! so it has been easier to stay to LC with a big pot of soup at the ready.

Have noticed both my stray cats are totally tubby..bulking up for a long winter I think, as their food is the same!

a nightly walk with the old pup in very cold air is briskly refreshing, and really helps digestion
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    2nd Thanksgiving (we always gather with extended family the day after Thanksgiving) at a Slovenian - those of you familiar with that culture know it typically means high carb. Managed to eat a filling meal & have two glasses of wine for around 20 carbs. My peak blood glucose: 117. o:):D

Highly motivated, for now, since it's still less than 2 months since my diabetes diagnosis...next year will be more challenging!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I was the primary cook, so EVERYONE ate LCHF at MY Thanksgiving table! My father added bread to his stuffing, but since he was out of bread of his choice, he used my husband's bread which is also relatively low carb, so he maybe only got about 5g of carbs out of that portion. HA!

So I ate Turkey, Smoked Turkey, cranberry sauce made with truvia, a small portion of carrots also made with truvia, cauliflower puree seasoned just like our usual mashed potatoes, pecan roasted green beans, gravy, and bread-less stuffing. Dessert was also low carb: dark chocolate torte, almond cookies, and pumpkin cheesecake. It was AMAZING.

I still felt very stuffed (truvia makes me bloat), but my total carbs for the day were still under 100, net was even lower. High, compared to my usual <30g/day, but waaaay better than giving into that whole "it's a holiday!" excuse.

The next couple days of leftovers were also higher carb than I usually do, but no carbage in my system! VERY happy. If I can LC through Thanksgiving, I can LC through ANYTHING!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I had a small amount of mashed potatoes and stuffing and butternut squash. I loaded up on the turkey and green salad. I skipped bread and dessert. Had one glass of wine. I am down 1.4 pounds on the scale today. I am now only 1.6 pounds heavier than my lowest "over 40 years old" weight.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I ate. And ate. And ATE. It wasn't just one Thanksgiving dinner. It went on for 3 days. 4 giant meals.

Yeah, I had a few carbs, but I showed some restraint. I probably offended somebody by declining a dish or two.

I talked to one low-carb convert. He also convinced his high-schooler to join him. They order bunless burgers together at In 'n Out. :) He looks better and says he feels better too.

Amazingly, I didn't gain any weight. The weather was beautiful, so I got a lot of outdoor exercise. Including a pretty good workout on a skateboard. :)