ISHA---->OMAD 27-NOV-2015

Hello everyone!!
I have just joined mfp and started this way of eating. In just under a week I have lost 5 pounds. It suits me really! I am 178 pounds right now, want to get to 130 as realistic goal but 121 as the ultimate goal. I am short, 5.2", so that would be great. I have about 58 more pounds to lose to be really happy. Though I must say with each pound lost, I am getting all smiling everyday.
I have ALWAYS struggled with weight. The Lowest weight I have been was 130 in my late teens and then too people around me teased me I was fat. I had self esteem issues and what not. Obviously, I had a strained relationship with food. I have used it to comfort me, to uplift me and everything except as fuel. But since starting this way of eating, i have found, that hunger is not something to be afraid of. Controlling it is amazing feat for me. It is not an emergency anymore and I get to eat whatever I want for dinner. Plus I don't over compensate as I had Thought I would. It has been great so far.

Also, I don't know why I have great energy all day. This is the plan I can continue for a long time. I have never been successful in the past because I always stopped doing what I was doing after 3 days max. This is long term. And we know that for any weight loss plan to be successful, it should be sustainable enough to be done long term. This is it for me.
I have started this thread so that I can share this journey with you all and also to gain insights from the experienced. I am not hoping that I would lose 5 pounds every week but yes every month. It would take an year approximately and I am ready for it. I also do 45 minutes of yoga to get active and try to be as active as possible during the day.
So yeah.. This is it. Would keep you all updated.

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Welcome!

What you are experiencing is the stability of blood-sugar levels as your body abides in the fasting state. Multiple meal eaters don't enjoy that, but OMADers do and will be able to maintain balance as well as find motivation to keep moving forward with their goals.

Yes, stability is a beautiful thing!

• twicor
    twicor Posts: 7 Member
    Welcome Isha. I just migrated to an OMAD eating methodology from LCHF diet with today being my official start day. I agree with your thinking that this is a sustainable way of eating and managing intake. Good luck and looking forward to reading your updates.
  • ishasharma0704
    ishasharma0704 Posts: 22 Member

Thanks guys!!
    Guess what! Another pound down ! 177 as of today. I just lose a little everyday and without really trying it seems :) my goal is 175 before 20 -Dec-2015. Let's see!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Hi Twicor and Isha, I am also transitioning to OMAD from a LCHF WOE.
  • ishasharma0704
    Great abm4n! I tried LCHF a few years back but it was definitely not sustainable for me. That was one diet I constantly thought about food. I still eat healthy but also some of those yummy junk too occasionally. It is a great way for me to eat normally.
  • ishasharma0704
    I had 2 meals today instead of one!! The horror!!
    I have noticed that eating before 5.30 actually makes me hungrier, very hungrier!! Would only know in the morning what is the result of today's cheat ....
    Also my 2 year old is sick so I hardly had any time for yoga. I think I should stick with 2 things
    1. Yoga in the morning
    2. One meal as dinner only

See you all tomorrow!!
  • Abm4n
    I like that you give yourself simple goals for the day. That way you get to know when you have been successful.

My single goal for today: go to latin dance class.
  • ishasharma0704
    Nope! Still on the downward role. :# I did not expect to see a loss today in fact was prepated for a gain. But because I have a digital scale, I am able to measure to the decimal point and it's going down!!
    But still lesson learned from yesterday and would only have dinner and that too at 6. I am keeping a check on my calorie goal too and try to stay under it.
    Well bye bye peeps! That's all for today!
  • ishasharma0704
    Well even I was feeling under the weather today. Did the one meal dinner but not yoga..today in fact I felt tired, I do not know why? Consuming enough calories at my one meal.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Well even I was feeling under the weather today. Did the one meal dinner but not yoga..today in fact I felt tired, I do not know why? Consuming enough calories at my one meal.

Now keep in mind, not everyday will be a "I'm feeling on top of the world!" day. Plenty of days you will "feel fat" just like anyone. It's a mental thing. And you've got to give your body time to adjust; the adjustment will take a few weeks, with the first probably being the hardest. You are still adjusting. It will take time to get into the new routine. Remember to keep the activity level low and try to keep preoccupied. You will lose in good time.
  • Abm4n
    Nice to see you starting this thread. I like to see how other people are going on their OMAD journey.
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    Loving the thread, keep up the great work!
  • ishasharma0704
    Hey everybody!
    I could not keep up with the OMAD past 3 days because my son has been really sick and demanded my constant attention but I am back today. Not checking my weight till sunday because it is kinda depressing to see the fluctuations! Few things to note for me.....

1. I have been experimenting with meal times still and pros and cons and such. But by the end of the week I will set up a certain meal time.
    2. Yoga has been my activity of choice... I would keep doing it.
    3. I *almost* thought of giving up again.. But then I thought that kids, family drama and career problems would remain forever. Does that mean that I am choosing to be this way forever? I got my answer and came here to update you all. I am not going to stop. I have goals .. 175 lbs by 20- Dec-2015. I am going to get as close as I can.
    4. Who said this was going yo be easy? This is a mental game! I am going to win it. Not going to sabotage myself again.

Well there it is.... That is all for now! Bye buddies!
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    Go get 'em.
  • twicor
    twicor Posts: 7 Member
    Keep the faith Isha! You've certainly got the right attitude! ;-)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I think if you look at fasting for only loosing weight, it can be discouraging if the weight fluctuates. During those times, I think it is helpful to remember other good things fasting can do for you like giving your heart a rest from digesting food, helping with blood sugar regulation, etc.. keep it up, you wil get there.
  • blambo61
    I don't think you need to loose 49 lbs by your photo. You must be tall.
  • ishasharma0704
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I don't think you need to loose 49 lbs by your photo. You must be tall.

Oh no dear! Haha that is beyonce!! I would like to have her curves. I am short like only 5.2" so losing 49 would be great for me!
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I think if you look at fasting for only loosing weight, it can be discouraging if the weight fluctuates. During those times, I think it is helpful to remember other good things fasting can do for you like giving your heart a rest from digesting food, helping with blood sugar regulation, etc.. keep it up, you wil get there.

Can you suggest some books or videos or something on the same. I want to gain more knowledge but there are way too many choices. Any book or video in particular?
  • blambo61
    I guess Beyonce doesn't need to loose 49 lbs! Lol

I've seen stuff by Michael Mosley mentioned that you commented on. I haven't read or seen anything myself, just news articles over the years on some studies.
  • ishasharma0704
    Hey everybody again!
    This thread was started to keep me on track and also because after numerous failed attempts, I wanted to really know where the problem lies.
    1. I knew that I was an all or nothing type of person. That is why OMAD suited me so much.
    2. I now can confirm that I am an emotional eater as well. Well duh! I hear you but the thing is I never did anything for that. I always thought that Yeah, so what I eat when I am sad, every one does that and I can stop whenever I want to. That is when I would decide to lose weight, this would automatically stop. How wrong I was!
    3. There is a reason why some people get fat and find it hard to lose weight. There are many layers to weight loss than simple calorie in and calorie out. Obviously, you eat less and move more, you lose weight but for many people it doesn't happen with a snap! It takes effort and determination to change what goes on in your mind.
    4. Writing all this because despite my best intentions and good results that I was getting, I again ate 2 meals! I was on track, nothing could stop me but a disappointing news was enough for me to enter the kitchen and eat mindlessly!! I regretted it instantaneously.
    5. I am not where I used to be because these little failures would have been enough in the past to get me off track and search for other new diet or workout program.
    6. No diet or workout program can deliver results unless I change the way my brain works!! Consistency is always better!
    7. I am not stopping, You all might have to read numerous of these posts but I promise you all I am not stopping and would reach my goals.
    8. It was a good day otherwise!

Bye!