Oh the haters...

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Today was my reveal to my father for my weight loss (hadn't seen him since June). I knew to tread carefully as he's quite bull-headed, so I said I had cut grains out entirely and was very low carb. Surprisingly he was totally on board - chuckled and said that carbs are terrible for people, so what am I eating, lots of protein? I said not tons or anything, I'm eating veggies, protein, dairy (hesitated to say fat) and he cut in "DAIRY? You're going to need to cut that out, all the fat will kill you". I stopped there, small victories, right? I'll wait until I get my bloodwork again next September to mention I'm high fat unless he flat out asks HAHA

You did well working with your father.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I've had the "if you stop you gain weight" thrown at me, but no one can tell me a good way to lose weight that you can stop doing. I usually just tell people I'm on a restricted food plan for IBD, and that ends the discussion.

@Bob314159 , has LCHF helped your IBD? My husband has IBS and is having a flare up but won't listen if I suggest maybe cutting carbs to reduce the impact of it. I know @GaleHawkins had success with IBS stopping on LCHF but I think he said that it took 4 months to clear up. He isn't prepared to give up carbs for that long, I think, or is just sceptical that it would work. He says LCHR is too meat and dairy heavy and that gives him problems with constipation etc. I would love to hear more about your and Gale's experiences this way that might help convince him.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @totaloblivia . . . What are your husband's primary IBS symptoms?

Low carb eating has changed my IBS. I've been keto for a month. It used to be that I wouldn't go for 1-2 weeks (my record is 3 weeks), and then everything would vacate quickly: with a couple of really miserable hours on the toilet. I won't say keto has cured it yet, as I'm still trying to fine tune things. My diarrhea is gone. I've become constipated once for a couple of days (I thought it was cured until this happened). I've added magnesium to my diet, and that seems to keep things moving along. The improvement has been huge! I now go once every day or two, and while small and soft they're not loose.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @totaloblivia as stated many time my pain dropped like a rock in the first 30 days after totally getting off all forms of grains and most all sugar putting me <50 grams of carbs daily.

The IBS started to improve soon as well but I was not expecting it so I was not looking for it. What got my attention was constipation would happen from time to time when the inverse had been my problem for 40 years most of the time.

In my case I really expect I had a leaking gut/intestinal permeability issue. After 4 months all was well and I could wait as long as needed to locate a bathroom.

I expect the 5 tablespoons of coconut oil that I use in my first cup of coffee each morning was great for my gut repairing. The grains and perhaps the sugar I think was a major player in my failing health and high pain levels.

Something new I have been doing for a couple months is taking Wobenzym N which is systemic enzymes that you may want to read about. It seems to be very healing. Yesterday my 18 year old son dashed upon to the deck in the rain and slipped and broke/jammed his big toe that he broke back in the summer.

It looked ready bad last night about 6:30 PM but he had just eaten. Wobenzym needs to be taken at least 2 hours after food and not eat for one hour after taking it. It is like a mini IF diet. :)

This AM after taking 20 tablets at 8:30 then again at 1 AM his toe is looking so much better and the bruising has cleared. The product is from Germany and is used by some sport teams like hockey BEFORE the game. Some report injury recovery times are cut by 50%. Just the change in the look and reported feel of the son big toe I am impressed with Wobenzym. I am testing it because one doctor in Germany I think stated he had a 30% success rate resolving advanced pancreatic cancer. He states he does not know why the other 70% show no recovery from the cancer.

Currently I am testing taking 20 tablets 4x daily. Other than taking a bit out of remaining pain it is just like eat fruit it is made from I guess. I got to testing cancer protocols on myself when I thought I was going to have to start on Enbrel for pain management. I test protocols on myself before giving them to family members. Thankfully I have been at 80 tablets daily now for a few weeks and was comfortable with giving my some this dosage of Wobenzym N for his painful toe he messed up really bad.

My cholesterol dropped by 25% after taking Wobenzym for about a month. Others report the same results but medically speaking I can not say if the Wobenzym was a factor or not. I can see it is a factor in the healing of the toe of my son.

In short anything we can do to improve our immune system seems to help all kinds of problems. We know today a sugar load (a can of regular Coke/Pepsi) tends to suppress the effectiveness of our immune systems for up to 4 hours.

I hope your husband can learn a way to eat to help his health.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you once again everyone. I tend to get myself all messed up when it comes to food and questioning things. I think you are right when you say that it would be the same no matter what diet you stopped. The point is not looking at it like a diet with an end but a life style change. I think that is the important thing I need to get into my brain. I've lost lots of weight before and was not able to keep it off and of course gained even more. It is about finding a way to eat that keeps me healthy long term and is sustainable.
    I can feel such a difference in my body already and it has only been a month. I have had lots of slip ups and the like but I've also learned a lot. The best part for me is that even though I haven't been "perfect" I haven't given up I have been able to just keep going and try to keep making better choices the next meal or the next day depending on what meal and all that. This really is a great woe. I think I just need to stop worrying what others have to say and do what seems to be helpful to me and my health. This is my journey after all.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I don't have medically diagnosed IBD/IBS, but I had enough of the symptoms to experiment with changing my diet. I was unaware of keto, and was doing trial and error, I had cut down heavily on bread and eating much less meat - as it seemed meat gave me problems. I also realized that sugar was not good (even though I ate much less than most people) and had cut down a lot. I changed to keto for other reasons and found I could eat meat with no problems - it appears that the problem was eating meat with rice/potatoes/etc. I no longer have digestive issues.
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I've had the "if you stop you gain weight" thrown at me, but no one can tell me a good way to lose weight that you can stop doing. I usually just tell people I'm on a restricted food plan for IBD, and that ends the discussion.

@Bob314159 , has LCHF helped your IBD? My husband has IBS and is having a flare up but won't listen if I suggest maybe cutting carbs to reduce the impact of it. I know @GaleHawkins had success with IBS stopping on LCHF but I think he said that it took 4 months to clear up. He isn't prepared to give up carbs for that long, I think, or is just sceptical that it would work. He says LCHR is too meat and dairy heavy and that gives him problems with constipation etc. I would love to hear more about your and Gale's experiences this way that might help convince him.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Actually when I started trying to manage my pain by diet I had no idea what I was doing in an objective sense. I was flying by the seat of my pants to dodge the Enbrel bullet. I was eating keto without knowing what it was. Actually all of the pluses of eating keto continue to catch me by surprise. Google found MFP when I was trying to see if my I could correlate readings from my $15 eBay acetone analyzer and Precision Xtra blood ketone meter and since learned I can not because they measure two different things. This sub forum is where I really understood the subject of keto Way of Eating.

Like @Bob314159 it took a while to figure out what is/is not causing our problems. This forum is such an asset in working toward better health by a better Way Of Eating.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I can feel such a difference in my body already and it has only been a month. I have had lots of slip ups and the like but I've also learned a lot. The best part for me is that even though I haven't been "perfect" I haven't given up I have been able to just keep going and try to keep making better choices the next meal or the next day depending on what meal and all that. This really is a great woe. I think I just need to stop worrying what others have to say and do what seems to be helpful to me and my health. This is my journey after all.

I love that you are being good to yourself even when you feel you haven't been perfect!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I love that you are being good to yourself even when you feel you haven't been perfect!

Yes, this WOE is the best for me. Just keep calm and keto on.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Excerpted from the site SugarFreeSheila.com. Maintained by someone who has maintained her weight for over decade on a low carb (Atkins specifically) diet.

How do you make your family and friends "get it"?

That's just it - you don't. It doesn't matter if anyone else "gets it"; these are your choices. However, if you mean, "How can I get my friends and family to take me seriously?" then there's only one way, and that is by sticking with it and being consistent. People will only take you as seriously as you take yourself - and success & long-term maintenance is like a Mute button for critics anyway.”
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    @Bob314159 and @GaleHawkins I should probably have started a new thread for this - sorry @RebeccaMaunder

@norcogrrl It's mainly constipation and uncomfortable trapped wind combined with gut pain. The wind pressure at night makes him think he needs to pee, so he gets up in the night, reducing sleep and generally making him feel rubbish. It comes and goes.

He has reduced bread intake a bit since I started keto and I think he felt some benefit from that. He eats pretty healthily and isn't particularly overweight (has a bit of a gut, sort of thin fat), he doesn't eat much sugary stuff and never has, but does enjoy wine at the weekends. Thanks for any tips and experience that I can share with him. @GaleHawkins the Wobenzym seems to be aimed at joints etc - do you think it helps guts as well?

All advice gratefully received!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @totaloblivia in keeping with @RebeccaMaunder question on dealing with the haters I do think one plus of MFP groups like this is it helps point out WHY we do eat this way that helps us to ignore those who do try to pull us back down into our old way.

The diverse thought triggering posts here keep me Googling more every day. :)

Wobenzym is a 40-50 year systemic enzyme product from Germany. Some think health tends to fall off a cliff for many after we cross the age of 40 because our enzyme production drops off in our late 20's and after 10 years the results shows up in health issues. I started using Wobenzym as part of a cancer treatment protocol that I am testing after losing a friend to cancer earlier this year to learn of any side effects before I would suggest it to any family members.

While it clearly can help with most any inflammation in the body from what I can read my personal objective is to prevent heart disease, cancer, etc by lowering my C reactive protein levels by cutting down on all sources of body inflammation since that seems to be the main cause of any disease. Wobenzym N seems to help manage or remove many health problems.

newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james174.htm

newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james175.htm

I posted the above links that talks about systemic enzymes in general and they have supporting doc links at the end. These are not to be taken as what one could/should do but as info where one can start their own Googling research. You can have weeks of reading by searching on 'Wobenzym + name of any disease'. You will find many late dated articles.

I am currently testing Wobenzym N at the rate of 20 tables 4x daily for side effects. 3 tablets 2x daily is min dosage on the bottle which is the max I have read about. 2700 tablets was reportedly taken by one person in one day with the only side effect was diarrhea. That was a lot of fruit extract. :)

My lipid panel greatly improved and my joint pain decreased some more beyond the fine job eating keto for a year has done. I have no way of proving if Wobenzym was a factor in any of the improvements. I have had no negative side effects for about two months of taking it.

Some of the results reported by doctors is mind blowing even with stage four cancers. Systemic Enzyme Therapy is used more in Europe and Asia by MD's than in the USA. Sports teams use Wobenzym you will read to cut injury recovery time by 50% and we are getting to test it on the son who broke his big toe for the second time this year 5 days ago.

Again read up and see what you think about Wobenzym for any disease or health care concern. I mainly use Amazon and the 800 count bottle is about $90 to the door. As you can compute taking the 6 tablets daily that bottle would last just over 4 months. Preventing heart attacks is of high interest at my age so do read up on how it is to cut this risk if interested.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Last night I got together with an old friend who I only see about 4 times per year. Our habit has been to always meet for a few beers after work. I arrived first and ordered my low carb Vodka Soda. When he got to the restaurant he looked at me sideways and asked what I was drinking. When I told him he asked what was up? I told him I am back trying to lose the weight and had cut out carbs. He was fine with that but asked for more details on my new WOE. Now, keep in mind, this is a guy with a perfect metabolism who has never had to watch his weight. I started trying to explain a LCHF diet and only got about five sentences in before he started laughing so hard I thought he would wet himself. He could simply not get his head around the concept. At this point I stopped explaining and simply said I had lost 25LBS in 6 weeks. That put an end to the laughing and we just moved on to other topics. When I see him again, I am hoping to be down another 25..or more.
  • cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Two things, #1 I've been eating this way since January of this year. Due to some health issues, I have a complete CBC, lipid panel and Metabolic workup done every three months. Since starting this my numbers have improved each and every time. My doctor is thrilled. My pain levels have decreased easily 95%. If/when I have an off day and eat too many carbs, I feel terrible, no energy, joint pain, bloating, etc. This tells me that my body is carb intolerant. You don't tell someone who is lactose intolerant that they NEED to drink milk. Why is this any different?
    #2 God did not create our bodies to process complex, processed carbs. He gave us animals for meat, nuts, seeds and vegetables. He made our bodies to work on those foods. No one has EVER hunted or picked a pizza. Bread and rolls don't grow on trees.
    When people ask me what I'm doing, I tell them I don't eat anything out of a box, I only eat real, whole foods. Not even my doctor could argue with that!
    I can honestly say, I never see myself going off this WOE. It's made too big of a difference in my life.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hi Rebecca, I agree with what a lot of people have said here, it has to be a lifestyle change. I used to resist that idea. And I used to be a YoYo dieter too. lol. I have been eating this way for 8 months and am now in the healthy BMI range, and am not very far from goal weight. I plan to continue eating this way for several reasons. First and foremost is I just feel better. When I eat a lot of carbage, I feel like crap. Second, this is the first time I have been able to have and keep portion control. Even when I occasionally do have carbs, I can keep in control which is something I could never do on other diets. There is so much freedom in what you can eat with LCHF, I don't even miss the junk. Seems to me that this is a no-brainer for health, weight loss, and ongoing into maintenance.

I would hazard a guess that the people who told you this have never done this for any length of time, they are just repeating things they hear. They are brainwashed, just nod and smile and keep on LCHF.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    @GaleHawkins thanks for the time and effort you put into your reply. Much appreciated.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Hi Rebecca, I agree with what a lot of people have said here, it has to be a lifestyle change. I used to resist that idea. And I used to be a YoYo dieter too. lol. I have been eating this way for 8 months and am now in the healthy BMI range, and am not very far from goal weight. I plan to continue eating this way for several reasons. First and foremost is I just feel better. When I eat a lot of carbage, I feel like crap. Second, this is the first time I have been able to have and keep portion control. Even when I occasionally do have carbs, I can keep in control which is something I could never do on other diets. There is so much freedom in what you can eat with LCHF, I don't even miss the junk. Seems to me that this is a no-brainer for health, weight loss, and ongoing into maintenance.

I would hazard a guess that the people who told you this have never done this for any length of time, they are just repeating things they hear. They are brainwashed, just nod and smile and keep on LCHF.

Yup. Do you. They are silly. Let them keep being silly and don't let it worry you. You can't fix their silly for them.
    Keep Calm and LCHF on. :mrgreen:
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Hating things seems to be the rage today no matter which way we turn. It is not new and it is not going away I expect.

Ignoring dieting hate is just one way of dealing with it but as others have posted it may be the best way sometimes. Haters have problems that lead to the need to hate. I really am not into fixing others with problems because I have too many of my own. :)