Favourite Fast Day Meals?

Options
Just wondering what you all are eating during your fast days??? Does anyone look forward to something extra yummy?

Here's mine, which I have mentioned before, but it really is delish.

2 cups of shredded coleslaw (prepared in bag in produce dept) or make your own - I add 1 cup shredded kale. = 30-38 cals
Toss with 2 tablespoons peanut dressing "San-j Tamari" = 70 cal
Top with1 tablespoon chopped roasted unsalted peanuts. = 95 cals
1 or 2 tsp of Sriracha swirled on top = 5-10 cals

I love this, it's crunchy, spicy and very filling! Sometimes I'll add left over grilled chicken along with extra peanut dressing

Fav snack?? Celery sticks with salmon cream cheese!!!! Carmel rice cake = 50 cals!

Bought soup is so convenient! The label states sodium and calories, so every fast day for me has some sort of soup!

What do you have?

Replies

• flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thick, chunky vegetable soup. I eat a mostly vegan diet and I find I'm most satisfied with vegetables. I also drink A LOT of water, esp on FD.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If I am at home I tend to have tea with sugar and milk (twice...keep adding hot water) before dinner (30cals each). Then I have either chicken rice with peas or chicken pasta with peas (more peas than anything).

On special fast days I treat myself with a venti skinny iced vanilla or Carmel Americano 25 cals, to sip throughout the day and Hartley's cranberry and raspberry low calorie jelly only 8 calories (fun little treats). And at Marks and Spencer's (here in London) they have these cute little meals for one that are very tasty and around 300cals each so sometimes I have those with green beans or peas.

I definalty work better if I feel like I am treating myself
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Well Flossy, I'm make by soup today, although not vegan, but froze during my walk today so your chunky veg soup sounded yum and warming!!

And Snaps, I like how you have special fast day treats!! I'll be sure to look for some too, although sadly no M&S around here (Canada)
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For dinner I love to stir fry veggies in a tsp of coconut oil, them add 1/2 cup marinara sauce and however much protein I can have to round out my 500 calories. Sometimes it's canned clams or tuna, other times leftover chicken, or lean homemade meatballs. I prefer to fresh cook on fast days as I can focus mentally on each ingredient and be creative with it.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible cook, so I tend to eat packaged stuff. :( I actually like a little cup of spaghettiOs for lunch (I am way in touch with my inner child). And for dinner, I will usually have a timy portion of what the family is having and then some popcorn to fill me up. I have the most trouble with stress eating on fast days. If it has been a long day, I am pretty likely to stop off for something entirely too high cal.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    There's no such thing as a terrible cook Kate! (love the Nkognito name btw). Check out YouTube for cooking ideas and inspiration to get you going - have fun!

Haven't tried coconut oil but I've sure been reading lots about the health benefits!
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    I am a terrible cook, so I tend to eat packaged stuff. :( I actually like a little cup of spaghettiOs for lunch (I am way in touch with my inner child). And for dinner, I will usually have a timy portion of what the family is having and then some popcorn to fill me up. I have the most trouble with stress eating on fast days. If it has been a long day, I am pretty likely to stop off for something entirely too high cal.

I tend to stress eat/drink too. I try to go for a walk these days instead of giving into the stress. Even at work - 5 min of walking down the 7 flights of stairs and taking the elevator back up (stairwells are locked in the bldg) does the trick.
  • dryheatfitness
    Options

Haven't tried coconut oil but I've sure been reading lots about the health benefits!

Coconut oil is same cal as other oils - but I like the way it cooks vs olive/canola oil. Melts at way low heat and really coats a non-stick skillet so it's easier to use less of it and save calories for protein.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options

Coconut oil is same cal as other oils - but I like the way it cooks vs olive/canola oil. Melts at way low heat and really coats a non-stick skillet so it's easier to use less of it and save calories for protein.

Good to know!
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Just found this recipe in my inbox today (from MyFitnessPal) - onl 280 cal per serving and only 4 servings total, so easily reduced for us single-fasters, or saved for a 2nd and 3rd meal of the week.

One Skillet Kale Tomato Egg Bake

Gonna try this next week for sure.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Just found this recipe in my inbox today (from MyFitnessPal) - onl 280 cal per serving and only 4 servings total, so easily reduced for us single-fasters, or saved for a 2nd and 3rd meal of the week.

Wow that sounds & looks delicious!! I would try that too- doubt the husband or kids would be game but I would try for myself! Thanks for sharing :)
    How did you get that delivered to your inbox?
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Not entirely sure how I got it - seems to be something out of MyFitnessPal that I must've agreed to. I get a couple different blog emails that are kinda fun to read. I can't see in the email how to share it to get others signed up tho.
  • thmjuddd
    thmjuddd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a book called "Trim Healthy Mama" that utilizes what they call "Fuel Pull" recipes. A search on Pinterest for "THM Fuel Pull" gives lots of suggestions for these uber-low calorie meals and drinks.....really yummy things using healthy ingredients! Recipes can be tweeked for even lower calories but still delicious.
  • dryheatfitness
    Options

Success! Made this tonight, adding a second egg for my serving. I halved the oil without problem.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    thmjuddd wrote: »
    There is a book called "Trim Healthy Mama" that utilizes what they call "Fuel Pull" recipes. A search on Pinterest for "THM Fuel Pull" gives lots of suggestions for these uber-low calorie meals and drinks.....really yummy things using healthy ingredients! Recipes can be tweeked for even lower calories but still delicious.

Sounds great!

Success! Made this tonight, adding a second egg for my serving. I halved the oil without problem.

Good for you - must have been delicious!!
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Just found this page - if you plan your fast day right, some good meal ideas here under 400 calories:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/10-slow-cooker-dinners-under-380-calories/
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Haven't tried yet, but just found an oil free way to make popcorn in the microwave:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=900085030018361&id=100000506160979&set=a.201543266539211.60697.100000506160979

213 calories if you don't add butter!
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    *have you tried an air popper? Works awesome although I rarely have have popcorn anyway. Good to know there's an alternative though!

Has anyone tried spaghetti squash??
    I was really happy I liked it so much! All kinds of recipes online but I tried it when the husband wanted spaghetti sauce and the pasta!

Making a huge batch of turkey soup today!!! My secret addition is a 1/4 tsp of 'allspice', sometimes 1/2 tsp, depending on the amount of soup. Take out a cup worth and add a few grains to see if you can taste the way it enhances the soup!
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is my absolute FAVORITE! I used to do low carb and ate it all the time. It is so low calorie and tasty! You can do so much with it.
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Has anyone bought/used a spiral veggie tool? I saw this recipe (http://www.hungry-girl.com/recipe-makeovers/zucchini-noodle-alfredo) and others but am hesitant to add another gadget to my kitchen if it won't get used.