A cheat day that turned into a cheat week

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
To get back on track I thought I should fast for a couple of days. I've just been wandering the web and find that fasting may not be the best way to go. Several articles suggest that just going back on program will be enough to get started again. Does anyone have any idea what the best approach for me might be?

Replies

• nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'd just go back on program.

If fasting has worked for you in the past, go for it.

I'm a bit terrified of going off program and never coming back.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I didn't fast but went very low carb & within 1 day in traces of ketosis.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day (Xmas last year) that turned into a cheat 3 months and 14kg gain. I'm not going to let that happen again. Just go back on plan, not really any point in overreacting and doing a fast in my opinion.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If the goal is to return to the food habits you intend to maintain for an extended period of time then I think getting back to those food habits would be the best plan.

• NewSue52
    Options
    Thanks for the help
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    if you go straight from high carbs to fasting, you may struggle more with hunger during the fast. I would go back to LCHF for a week, assess the damage from the cheat, and then fast.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in fasting when something like this happens. It feels almost punitive and mentally unhealthy.

Stuff like this has happened to nearly every single person who has long-term success. Yes, it's happened to me. Yes, it's happened to others. The best thing you can do it get back on the program and stick to it. One day at a time. There's no need to go to the opposite extreme.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    That's a point of view, @FIT_Goat I suppose it depends how you feel about fasting. After food mistakes, I feel it is a quick way of getting back in control and reducing the negative consequences of the mistake. Sometimes, when we put on weight we can be tempted to give up, so I would rather get back in the saddle as quickly as possible.

I see fasting more as a way of keeping my weight loss going without eating less on the non-fasting days - I would rather not eat one day than be slightly hungry all the other days. Apparently fasting also has other health benefits. I also appreciate the extra time I get on fasting days from not having to prepare and eat an evening meal. Plus exercise seems easier those days. I feel it also has psychological benefits for me so that I feel in control of my eating.

But before I tried fasting regularly, I would have thought it was punitive too, so I know where you're coming from. Everyone's different.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    if you go straight from high carbs to fasting, you may struggle more with hunger during the fast. I would go back to LCHF for a week, assess the damage from the cheat, and then fast.

Definitely this. I had a cheat month (or so it seems) and just hopped on the scale this morning and I'm up 13 lbs! And even though I fast regularly it would be extremely uncomfortable for me to do that right now. I'll get back into the swings of things first and hold off on fasting until I'm back to normal.

ETA: I do regularly indulge and then fast though -- or the opposite -- fast because I know I'm going to be indulging but this is different.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    do what feels right to you- if i have learned one thing from this woe is that not one of is alike- we all have similar experiences and finds what works for us but this is not a 1 size fits all-

i agree dont fast to "punish" yourself. There is a benefit to fasting at the right time. i like the IF form of fasting 16/8- so maybe take the morning off from eating and eat a keto friendly lunch/dinner

but def go straight back to Keto eating
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do whatever will work the best for you. The end result of ketosis is the same, right? :)

I was accidentally out of ketosis for a few weeks, or it was very mild, when I was eating 30-50g of carbs per day. My cravings were back and I was having a hard time cutting back on carbs and calories so I could start losing again. I decided to try a "fat fast" to bump me in faster. I'm an all or nothing type so eating very low calories of just BPC and soup for a couple of days worked well for me. I was back.

I would not have tried the fast if I had succeeded at cutting back on calories and carbs.

Just do what will work. Best wishes. :)
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I vote along side the majority here - just go back to your healthy habits (especially if you have some concerns about fasting). Fasting for me would be like a punishment, so it won't happen. If I happen to eat very little for a large amount of time that's fine, but telling myself "no soup for you" because I went overboard for a week is sort of like being grounded from food (in my mind). I know there are positives for fasting, but personally I just don't see a place for it in my life. If you're doing it for some other reason that having cheated, perhaps go forward with it. Otherwise it sounds like you're "grounding" yourself for eating. *disclaimer: I don't have any negative feelings about people who fast, if it's your thing then go for it - this is strictly my opinion*
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    When you say fasting do you mean no food at all....only water? Or I've heard of some people doing the fat fast where all they have is fat...like Bullet coffee with heavy cream and coconut oil?
    I don't think I would mentally be able to not eat ANY food. I would probably just go really low carb...like I am trying to do today since I had pizza over the weekend :neutral:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The best time to get back on track is now. That's all you need to do. I went on a cheese fast the day after Thanksgiving, but that was more like a reward than a punishment, because yay cheese/boo veggies.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    The best time to get back on track is now. That's all you need to do. I went on a cheese fast the day after Thanksgiving, but that was more like a reward than a punishment, because yay cheese/boo veggies.
    LOL - mmmm cheeeeeese

I had pizza over the weekend, too. Aside from an Atkins bar, coffee and wine it was basically all I ate. Back on the wagon today, though, and I'm feeling just fine.
  • NewSue52
    Options
    I have decided to tighten up my eating (20 g carbs) and try IF 16:8 three days a week. It should be doable for a while. Thanks for all the input. I just love this community
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    NewSue52 wrote: »
    I have decided to tighten up my eating (20 g carbs) and try IF 16:8 three days a week. It should be doable for a while. Thanks for all the input. I just love this community

Silly question from a newbie- what does "16:8" ratio mean? (I know IF is intermittent fasting but the ratio throws me off)

Thanks!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of not fasting.
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ah gotcha!! Thanks!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of not fasting.

That's close to how I've eaten for years, because I'm just not hungry after 3pm.