Challenge Week November 29th - December 5th

Options

Replies

• KrisM111
    KrisM111 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    @cshock93 -- a month-long migraine?! Wow. I feel for you! I've only had a couple in my life (from weaning off caffeine) and it was debilitating. I can't imagine. Hopefully, the neurologist's appt. will bring with it answers so you don't have to suffer with something like that again!

@option3girl -- Yes, definitely check them out! They are pricey, but worth it. In fact, I was going to suggest to my MIL who is having knee-surgery soon. You can wear them under regular pants, but they really help keep everything in-line, from your hips to your knees.

Thanks for the support, everyone! On your suggestions, I'm going to splurge and get myself some new music from the ITunes. I don't like watching TV when I'm on the treadmill, so I need some good music. I might try and find a walking app. or something to keep me motivated. Thankfully, my knee is not hurting today; I was worried about that after I felt that twinge yesterday.
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @KrisM111 - I am with you on not liking to watch tv while I workout. I went ahead and invested in PandoraOne so it doesn't have any commercials. I use it on my cell phone and access the gym's WiFi.

Today was the third day I did weights this week since Sunday! I made my goal! :) Next goal this week is to continue logging everything (regardless of what it is) and add in some cardio.

How is everyone else doing this week?
  • KrisM111
    Options
    Gotta love when getting into my running tights is a workout in itself! :s Geezus! Literally winded after trying to pull those suckers up.

So, I purchased this app. called ZombieRun -- I guess the motivation is to keep going or the app. will warn you you're about to be eaten by zombies. I'll give it a whirl. It looked fun. I also found this app. called "Carrot7" -- baby steps to strength training.

Way to go, Trish! Go, you!!!

OK, off to the 'mill!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I'm having a great week exercise wise. I'm on leave and it's summer, plus one of my good friends is a trainer at my gym so I spend loads of time there. I'm training 2-3 times a day at the moment because I wasn't to max out while I'm off. When I am back at work next week, it will be more tricky. I'm also doing well on the eating and avoided buying anything at the bakery today when I went to pick up bread! My friend and I have a pact to eat well until next Sat as we need to fit into corsets for a party.
  • irishsungirl
    irishsungirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late on this one, but I'm in! Great to see that some many others are as well.

So this week my commitment will be to log every scrap of food that goes in my mouth - good, bad or ugly.

Good luck all yall.
  • NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. I logged today and exercised today. "If everyday were like today..." slim by summer 2016 would be totally possible.
  • livingyoung28
    livingyoung28 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ok gym last night but then two pieces of pumpkin pie and this morning two glazed donuts, I know so bad! I am totally eating out of emotion and stress. Now I'm in that place where I tell myself its ok to be bad for the rest of the day cuz I'll start again tomorrow.....
  • livingyoung28
    Options
    Sorry I know that was not motivating material, just trying to be honest. I will get back to it...
  • TrishV2013
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @livingyoung28 - don't be too hard on yourself. Just acknowledging that you know you are emotionally eating is a step in the right direction. Good job on the exercise! Also, one thing I have been trying to work on is the concept of "there are no good/bad foods. There is just food." There are some foods that are better for you than others and some we should have less of. Try to take the guilt out of it. :)
  • livingyoung28
    Options
    @MrsVelapanur - Thank you! I have what they call graves disease which is a form of hyperthyroid and take medication to control (sometimes can slow down metabolism). I was eating more whole foods (80%) for a few years and felt great but at some point fell back into the processed foods (I guess the novelty of eating healthy wore off).
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I too follow the just food philosophy. I log everything I eat, desserts, chips and snacks, large servings etc. When following a healthy life plan (for the rest of our lives) we will eat foods that we should have less of along with all of our healthy selections. If I have indulge I tell myself I will start again at the next meal. You must live today, because tomorrow is just that tomorrow. No one should be too hard on themselves, many many people have the same issues. You're not "bad" if you're doing your best. Be proud that you are trying and have met so many supportive friends here on MFP. Sometimes when I want to eat I open my computer and login here. Oh, and sometimes I don't open the computer and I eat; but I always enter the items in my food diary.
  • KrisM111
    Options
    Living360 wrote: »
    You're not "bad" if you're doing your best.
    Words to live by in so many ways, not just with food! I have to remember this daily as I've been a self-punisher for as long as I can remember.

@livingyoung28 -- Please don't feel like only motivating material is welcome here. This is why we're here -- to be the objective voices who can tell you to forgive yourself, that we've all been there, and to remind you (and ourselves in the process!) this is not a straight diagonal line to success and tomorrow will be better. Hang in there!!! I know some days are much more trying than others. ((((hugs)))

I took the day off working out, but my food intake has been OK! Kind of blah today, but trying to reground myself as best I can.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Having a frustrated day. I have trained hard and eaten well all week and my weight has not budged. I know it is harder to lose as you get closer to goal and I am likely replacing fat with muscle thanks to my training. I am toning and if I measured cm, I would probably see the changes better. However, I want to get to my fighting weight now and then just maintain through competition prep, so it is frustrating when the scale refuses to budge. I need to drop about 5kgs to fighting weight.
  • livingyoung28
    Options
    @KrisM111 - Thank you so much for this encouragement - I have a new attitude this morn and know I can get back on track. This group is great!!! Feels good to have people to lean on...we will keep each other going - know that you have put a smile on my face today!
  • TrishV2013
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! I am feeling great today and am so proud of myself. I was up at 4:40am and at the gym by 5:15. I did 45 minutes of elliptical and burned 541 calories! I actually got some good sleep last night so I feel refreshed as well. My weight hasn't budged either and I am trying not to get hung up on it. I feel lean and strong, which is much more important than my relationship to the Earth's gravity.

What are your plans for the weekend? My brother in law is arriving from India tomorrow (my hubby is Indian) and he is staying with us for a month. We're both looking forward to his visit and showing him around California.
  • KrisM111
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I just fulfilled my commitment for the week! Third day on the 'mill and I feel so much better than I did the first day. LOL Thank you all for the encouragement and being here with me! Strength in numbers, ladies! :)

CaptainBoing -- I know it can be frustrating when the scale doesn't budge, but as you said, I'm sure you are losing inches. So, are there actual weight classes in what you do? Like in wrestling? Maybe some big glasses of lemon water to flush out any residual water weight you're carrying. That usually helps me.

Livingyoung--So glad you are feeling better! We will definitely keep each other going -- through good and bad. :)

Happy Friday to you, Trish! 45 mins and 541 calories -- that is GREAT!!! I have actually been sleeping so much better this week since I started back on the 'mill. I think it makes a big difference. Hope you and your hubby have a fun time showing BIL around! Hopefully he (and their family) is not affected by any of the flooding in India.

I'm not doing too much this weekend. Need to get a ton of laundry done and my house cleaned up so nothing too exciting here. Have a good one everyone!
  • NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm in Brownsville for the weekend. It's my turn to stay with my 82 yr old mom. Usually, we just sit, talk, and eat. Today we put up her Christmas tree and nativity scene. That means I did a lot of climbing up and down a ladder, lifting and carrying boxes from the garage, bending, stretching, etc. A fun workout! And I've managed to avoid eating the cookies my sister left behind from her shift with my mom.
  • livingyoung28
    Options
    @NewOR2015 I need to get my Christmas tree up and will be seeing a few stairs myself to get this done. Good job with the cookies! I'm off to the gym after work with my mom tonight (she is 73), that means it will be a short walk on the treadmill (20 min or so, she is just starting out and doing quite well but this 20 minutes does not do to much for me). Have a great weekend with your mom!

@MrsVelapanur - I love the elliptical and the ARC trainer. I understand the feeling of just feeling strong and fit - it can be addicting. Hoping to hit the ARC trainer in morning, cannot do when with mom because she needs someone beside her when she does treadmill (just in case). What part of California are you from? my sister lives in Merced.

@KrisM111 - Hope you get to do more than clean, do something to enjoy for yourself!

• TrishV2013
    Options
    @KrisM111, my husband's family is in south India, but thankfully not Chennai where all of the flooding is happening. Bangalore has been getting a lot of rain but it's better equipped to handle the run off. My assistant is from Chennai though and she hasn't heard from her parents in a few days. She's very worried.

@livingyoung28, I am in the SF Bay Area, Mountain View to be exact. I have a cousin that lives near Merced and I used to live in Turlock, where I taught for a year. Do you come out to California often?
  • Dory_42
    Options
    My weekend is jam packed. Weight training with friends and then BJJ competition class this morning. Lunch at a friend and dinner at another friend. Tomorrow is ocean race followed by tea for two friends who have birthdays close to each other, Christmas party with some friends from work at their farm and church in the evening.

@KrisM111 Yes, Brazilian Jui Jitsu (a ground based grappling martial art) has weight categories at competitions. I am currently 1kg above the category I want to be in, but that is without my gi which weighs 2kgs and we weigh in gi at competition. I have until the end of February, but don't want to drop just before competition as you lose strength then. I must just be patient and keep doing the right things, it is just frustrating at times. I'm adding some more weight training sessions to my schedule as I haven't been doing much of that due to recovery from knee surgery. Hoping that will help nudge the scale again.