Is Premium worth it?

Options
I am wondering if anyone has the MFP Premium feature subscription and if the features are worth it. I'm thinking the ability to set daily calorie goals is ideal for 5:2 but wanted some thoughts from people on 5:2 and how useful it may be.

If you're on the basic, free model (like me), what strategies do you use in MFP for tracking? Do you set calorie at your TDEE or the 500 mark? Anyone update each day to match that day's plan (seems tedious, but a strategy I'm considering)?

Replies

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in here but I'm sure there are others much more knowledgeable who are better able to answer you.

I do not enter 'complete diary' after each day. If I do, I get a message stating "too few calories today". Instead, I only look at food calories accumulated and not worry about "goal" calories or "remaining" calories. For me, I don't care that it doesn't match up, it's free & it works, but you may want more of a service. Hopefully some else can give you better info, or check other forums using the search & subject options. Cheers
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm trying out my theory of manually switching my goal each day which is a good reminder to check in, read some of the blog, and focus myself for the day. I've never used the Complete button so I'll try that out.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I use the free version, too. I have also wondered if the premium would be worth it. But I kind of like setting my caloriesat maintenance and then seeing the big amount leftover at the end of the week. On fast days I just stop at 1/4 of my mainenance. Hope this helps.
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    I've been manually updating my daily goal and decided that other than MFP warning about how 500 calories is dangerous, it's a nice routine for me. On Fast Days it is my firm pledge to myself and switching it on my Feed Day is a reminder that "normal" isn't a buffet.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1500. On fast days I do a quick add calories of 1000. This helps me see how many calories I've got left
    I'm too stingy to pay for premium
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    My calorie goal is 1500. On fast days I do a quick add calories of 1000. This helps me see how many calories I've got left
    I'm too stingy to pay for premium

I'm definitely my Irish Grandmother's Granddaughter when it comes to pinching pennies, and agree that it doesn't seem worth the costs. That $$ could go to fitness classes from Groupon instead.