Advice on "fat fasts"?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
For those of you who do fat fasts, I have a few questions:
* When/why do you do them? (e.g. during a stall, after a cheat day, or ...?)
* What guidelines do you follow for them?
* How long do you do them for?
And if you have any other tips/advice, I'm all ears.

Replies

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I would like to know about this also.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I just started with them. My first was after a few weeks (3?) of higher calorie meals (2000+ rather than my usual 1500 kcal) that was driven by higher carbs (30-50g rather than below 20g). I did it because I am rather bad at moderating and I couldn't seem to get myself back on track.

Plus I was out of ketosis and wanted no protein or carbs for a few days so I could jumpstart myself again.

I did a couple of days of about 500 kcal each or primarily coconut oil in BPC or soup. The third day I was hungry and started meals again.

A few days later I was out all day and not hungry so I did another, again eating about 500 or kcal.

Lately I do IF (intermittent fasting with fat "fast " for most of the day. I eat solid food for the first time around 3 pm on many days, and stop in the early evening. I still get around 1500 kcal on those days.

I don't really follow a plan. I fat fast if not hungry and it isn't too frequent. Maybe once a week now. I use IF on at least half of the other days. On hungry days, I just eat.

Nothing scientific from me. That's just my n=1. ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have tried fasting to get the scale to move again after weeks of nothing. I think since I'm closer to goal now, that I must need lower calories than I am able to stick to consistently, so a fast helps me to achieve a greater energy deficit.
    I have done around 20 hours with only coffee, tea, broth and water and no fats or calories and I've done a couple of longer ones where I did have Keto coffee, allowing about 500 calories on those days. I have also done an egg fast, but I didn't follow any specific one I found online or anything. That just seems more challenging to me to follow some predetermined meal plan on a schedule. I basically just ate Keto coffee, eggs, butter and a little cheese for 3 days, probably stayed under 1000 calories, don't exactly remember.
    I liked them equally well and had results with all of them. I think the egg fast was the easiest, because you are actually eating... and I'm a fan of that.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I am about the same as @nvmomketo. I will begin my day with decaf coffee and hwc only. This satisfies me, most days, until at least 2pm. When I will then consume around 1000 calories, or more depending on hunger (1600 max) within a few hours of bedtime. This is my version of "fat fasting. The latest I've made it on a couple of days was 6pm. Haven't tried longer. I imagine if I keep drinking the decaf and hwc I could though. May need to schedule a longer fast and see if things don't "shake up" a bit!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @Karlotapp I just add the coconut oil to broth instead and then I can keep going if I want. :) I'm not good with the true fasts - water fasts - yet. Those few hundred calories of fat seem to make a difference for me.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of fat fasts. I usually do one when I'm in a stall and I usually wait at least three (3) weeks before I commit to doing a fat fast. I typically do a fast for three (3) days and I personally aim for 1200 cals (you should be aiming for 90% of your calories on these days to come from fat). I only do three (3) days because that's about all I can stand...I eat the same foods for the same meals on those days and the monotony gets to me. Also, I find that I really have trouble meeting my daily salt intake goals on those days. On normal LCHF days I eat 3 meals but when I do a fat fast, I have 5 small meals which fall in the 200-250 calorie range and I eat every 2-3 hours during fat fast days. Hope this info helps.