You Are Your Own Gym vs Body by You

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
Would any of you recommend one over the other for a woman who's still fairly new to strength training? I had dabbled in NROLFW but kind of fell off the wagon in terms of strength training over the past year or so; trying to get back into it and I want to try out body weight workouts.
Also, are the You Are Your Own Gym DVD's worthwhile?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have the Body by You book. From what I could glean from the internet, the YAYOG book has a lot more exercises but not the same (or any??) program guide.

So it sounded to me like starting with BBY is best, and if you complete that and get bored of the exercises, get the YAYOG book to incorporate the even more difficult and/or numerous exercises in there. BBY is also geared to women so it might have programs allowing for more leg work.

I haven't actually looked inside the YAYOG book though. But they would compliment each other since they're the same writer. I believe he meant for it to work that way.

I don't have any DVD's but also haven't done as much BBY as I'd hoped by now (I keep worrying I'm going to break a door, even though I never have).
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have checked out the YAYOG book, the YAYOG app and the BBY book. BBY definitely starts off easier in terms of strength and you would "graduate" from it to go to YAYOG. I used to consider myself pretty strong for a woman but I found I do need the transition BBY program. But then, I am an Asian woman and our frame are just relatively small. Besides, BBY works 3 days a week and YAYOG 4 days a week :)

If you have a smart phone, the app is very good value IMO. It only costs $2.99 (at the time when I got it). It contains the videos of many exercises. You can just follow the YAYOG program there. It is all built-in. The app also allow you to custom build your program. Search online and you will find that others just create custom workout according to BBY program in the app. So, the most cost effective way may be to get the app, borrow the book from the library and build the program in the app :wink:

But quite truthfully, I fell off the strength training myself. I switched to 5x5 for a little bit. And now I am focusing on running. I need to get back to strength training again but haven't figure out how to fit it in with my running schedules.... All that to say, I have no result to show for :disappointed: