Powerlifter Talk

Options
ash_law
ash_law Posts: 70 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
I just thought I would start a thread here where people can talk about their lifting history, how they got into powerlifting, upcoming meets, their training cycle / competition goals, etc. Mostly just a thread to learn more about the people in this Powerlifting Group. :)

My name is Ashley and I've been training seriously for Powerlifting for about 15 months. Before that, I mostly dabbled with squats and some deadlifting, but mostly walked around the gym and did random stuff without a purpose. I first got started with Powerlifting through the University of Iowa Powerlifting club while I was attending the University. I met a ton of really cool lifters in the club and learned a lot of valuable knowledge.

I compete raw unwrapped in the 148lb / 67.5kg weight class, and I've done 3 meets so far (2 in Iowa and 1 in AZ). My best competition was about 7 weeks ago in October at the Arizona Europa Expo. I totaled 755 at 147.6 bodyweight (342.5kgs at 67.0kg bodyweight). My next meet is an Arizona USPA meet at the end of February. My biggest goals for my upcoming meet are to improve my bench press and to hit a 2x bodyweight competition squat. I squatted 281lbs / 127.5kg in my October competition, so I'm pretty close. But, I started a new job last month and my training schedule is wonky, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to add the extra ~15lbs onto my squat in time. As far as my bench goes, it has always been my weakest lift. A lot of my problem has been technique, but I am working to fix that. I am also currently doing a small slow bulk to add some upper body muscle mass. I would be so happy with a 140lb / 63.5kg bench for my next competition, even though that is a pretty low bench for my weight class.

My ultimate goal is to total elite (which I know is pretty much any powerlifter's goal), but that is probably two or more meets away. I totaled Master's in USPA at my October meet, but I am still 65lbs away from totaling USPA elite.

I'm not married to the USPA fed (or any fed) by any means - my 3 competitions have been in 3 different feds, but I figure if I had a good experience at the last USPA meet, there is no sense in buying a membership to another fed while I still have an active membership with USPA.

I'm excited to hear more about other lifters in this group, and would love to become friends with more of you!

Replies

• mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    i'll say hello!

Tim here.

I now compete in PA(p\Powerlifting Australia) which is an IPF affiliated fed, in the 105KG class.
    Only completed the one comp so far going 172.5/130/235 for a 537.5kg (1182.5lbs) total @ 102kg (224.4lbs) back on December 5th.

Previously i competed with GPC Australia, doing i think 5 meets, finishing up with a 567.5kg (1248.5lbs) @ 98kg (215.6lbs) total using knee wraps. That meet was GPC nationals back in june this year. 195/127.5/242.5.
    Also completed 2 or 3 unsanctioned meets before that totaling in the low-mid 400's.

Since that comp i managed to injure my right side lat (near the bottom of it) while prepping for another comp this past November. i did this while deadlifting...haha. but it prevented me from squatting in the stronger Low-bar position also...i haven't low bar squatted in about 4 months now, but about 4 weeks post injury i was able to start high bar squatting lightly. Since then i've stuck to high bar (including the recent meet) and its feeling good. It was i think the 4th time i'd injured my back, first time from deadlifting, 3 from Low Bar squatting. So you can understand my reluctance to return to low bar haha. That 172.5kg squat is actually equal to my RAW low bar squat at this stage now anyway. And another huge positive from all of this? Since ditching the knee wraps/low bar my knee pain has all but gone! haha.

Looking ahead, i plan to stay with the IPF affiliate for the 2016 season. The goal is to put up a 200kg raw squat in that time. I'd also like a 140kg bench, and a 250kg deadlift asap also. :expressionless:

Training wise i following basic periodization. Currently into a 2nd week of an hypertrophy/conditioning phase that will last between 4 and 8 weeks id say. Leaning towards 8. So its a upper/lower split type setup right now. For strength blocks i generally do more of a full body approach. and for a peaking block i generally dont do anything aside from the big three lifts.

So that's me!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm Heidi and I compete within the GBPF (IPF affiliate)

I first started lifting a while back but have been competing for just over 2 years. Lifts aren't where I'd like them, but they are slowly improving :smiley: My best comp lifts are 100kg / 65kg / 132.5kg (not in the same comp) Best total is 292.5kg.

I've always lifted in the 72kg class, most recently was last week. However, I'd like to move up this year to 84kg's. I'm not super competitive in terms of placements / beating other people, but I would really like to just get stronger and add some more muscle so I think it'll help me there as I'm borderline in the categories anyway.

My next comp is not until September now (British Classic) Lots of time to get my lifts up, I'd especially like to work on my squat because I feel that's the hardest one for me to nail the technique.

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Jeff here... i compete in SPF and soon to be RPS... comp bests are full power wrapped, shw(309) 625/370/605 1600 total, best push/pull 410/630 1040 total. been training about 2 years total. 41yo 308 currently, slowly cutting/recomp to a desired bf% dont really care what the scale says when i get there. nexy possible meet is in october i believe. its a fundraiser to try and help my friend Samantha Coleman get to Australia for the Arnold Pro Raw next year. will be doing push/pull and looking for 450+/650+ and 1100+ total.
  • LeonardRoan
    LeonardRoan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I took a long hiatus from competitive powerlifting because of family, career, and life in general. I used to compete competitively for AAU, USAPL and some local non-sanctions meets while in college and for a few years afterwards. Now I am making a comeback in the Master's Division and am training right now. If I get to where I want to be by mid July, I am going to take part in a meet in August with USPLA. I also want to start competing in the 100% Raw powerlifting federation. We will see how everything plays out. If anyone would like to send me a friend request, please feel free, so we can compare notes. Have a great day!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Only started powerlifting about 8 months ago or so. Joined a lifting gym to get into bodybuilding, maybe some strongman, but the gym owner pulled me toward powerlifting. So far competed in one competition (SPF), came in 2nd in my weight class (to be fair there was only 2 of us). Training for my second (USPA) in August. Right now I'm doing Smolov to build up my squats and a Coan deadlifting program to get me out of a plataeu.

BTW, I'm pushing 50, so looking to kick some *kitten* in the masters category.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hey all, I've been competing for over 2 years now. Started in the UK with BDFPA, set a national record in squat and won 3 national championship titles in 58kg class (squat, dead, total).

Then moved to USA for my PhD and joined USAPL in April this year after a year off from competing. Won my first meet in 63kg category and qualified for nationals, competing again in 6 weeks in 57kg class to re-qualify. I'm expecting to break all the IL state records with my 1st/2nd attempts, aiming for 420 wilks to get a primetime spot at nationals.

Just started working with a coach 4 weeks ago and love it - got sponsored luckily because my student budget wouldn't allow me otherwise.

Current PBs are 123/75/157kg at 58kg BW. Projected to add around 10kg to that at August's meet.

ETA: I compete raw no wraps.

Keen to find more PL friends on here so please go ahead and add me :smile: :smile:
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've been competing for about 8 years and have done close to 30 meets but I've lost count of the actual total. I've done everything from local open meets, up to and including world championships.

I lift with the cpu (Canadian IPF affiliate). For years I only competed equipped as that's all there was. My best equipped total is 140/75/165 at 58kg. Once unequipped came along I've done both but predominantly unequipped as it's much less stressful. My best unequipped meet was 105/52.5/145 at 57kg. (summer 2015).

I'll be 52 in a few months so a big goal is remaining uninjured and not losing strength to age. I'd also like to nail a 150kg deadlift this year in contest.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi I'm Mara. I'm a relatively new powerlifter; started competing in May and started focusing on powerlifting at the beginning of last year. I compete in the USAPL and my highest total thus far is 287.5kg/633.9lbs. My meet maxes are S: 97.5kg/214.9lbs, Bench: 63.5kg/137.8lbs, and D: 127.5kg/281.1lbs. I hit 145lb bench in training so I'm hoping to hit more than that at my next meet! And I hope to increase my total. My overall goal is to make it to raw nationals at some point. Even if I'm not the best one there I'd be more than happy to qualify and put my best foot forward!