Fasting when sick?

Options
KateNkognito
KateNkognito Posts: 1,546 Member
I have been feeling a bit under the weather lately. Not really bad, just a slight sinus infection and a cough. Went to the doctor and I am on the mend. But, what about fasting? Would it help or hurt? Opinions? I am divided between thinking it would spur my body to heal and thinking I need the nutrients to heal.

Replies

• samiic
    samiic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I won't be much help but I always go with what my bodies telling me. Most the time when I'm ill I can tell if my body really needs foods or if I can recover without it. For instance I had a cold a couple of weeks ago and knew I would be fine to carry on fasting, never did me any harm. Just keep fluids up.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I just fasted through a sinus headache that almost led to vomiting yesterday. I didn't feel like eating and took a nap to feel better. I ate a small dinner of less than 400 calories. I feel much better today. I can in no way attribute this to fasting or not though since it was a single incident, but clearly it did me no harm.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Might even help. Just start with a fast and if you feel to weak, break it off. Nothing to lose by trying.
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't fast because I just didn't havethe energy to say no to an egg biscuit first thing in the morning. :( But I am feeling better. :smile: I am going to try for a fast on Friday. I hope it helps! I also hope you all stay healthy, too!
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'd say go with what you need. In all things keep up w/ fluids. There's always the old axiom ''feed a cold, starve a fever."
  • KateNkognito
    Options
    So, I have STILL been feeling a little gross, but I was determined to get in a fast today. I did it! And I am finally feeling better!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Bravo! I fasted today as well but not while feeling under the weather. Glad you are feeling better. :)
  • JessaWannaEatEverything
    Options
    There's a ton of information out there about how eating less while your sick helps your immune system focus on getting rid of the sickness. It's all pretty interesting. Most animals (even pets) don't seem to eat when their sick.