Accidentally ordered Tallow instead of Lard....

Options
JinksE21
JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
I placed an order on thrivemarket.com on Black Friday when they had a discount sale and thought I ordered Fatworks Lard but accidentally selected Tallow instead! :( I have made my own tallow using grass-fed beef fat but I couldn't stand the flavor and ended up dumping it...I didn't realize I could make candles or body balms with it before doing so!

Does anyone have any secrets to using tallow to cook with so it doesn't have that weird flavor??

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It might have been the batch you made. How long between the time the fat was cut from the animal and when it was rendered, where on the animal the fat came from, how hot the fat got when rendering, how long the non-fat bits stayed in the melted fat (and whether they burned), etc. all affect the flavor of the final product. It's entirely possible what you ordered will be completely different from what you made. I'd say give it a try first and see how it is.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Imo tallow is healthier than lard. As Dragonwolf said, I would try it again anyway. I also found tallow a bit strong flavoured but I think for me it was more about my being unfamiliar with it than anything. I often have to try new foods many many times before I start to like them. I don't ever give up on new foods, I keep right on trying them if I feel they are so healthy as to warrant the effort.