The BEST LCHF diet when you have: High BP-Obesity-T2 Diabetes

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/kidney-disease-an-underestimated-killer/

Getting healthy in the new year…
Eating LC diet helps most of us to deal with:
1. High blood pressure
2. Type 2 diabetes
3. Obesity

Having Healthy Kidneys means you can eat what you want..but MOST people who choose a LC diet have one or all three preconditions..so must take extra care.

ONE TIP for all people on any diet or WOE: Make sure your doctor checks the amount of protein in your urine at least once a year. This is a quick, easy way to know.

You can't chose the best LC diet if you don't know..and MOST people have no idea until it is too late and must give up meat even in moderation.

Having just one risk factor raises the chances of developing kidney disease from one in 10 to one in three, Dr. Spry said.

Obesity alone doubled a person’s risk of developing kidney disease; an unhealthy diet raised the risk even when weight and other lifestyle factors were taken into account.

Overall, the risk was highest among African-Americans; those with diabetes, high blood pressure or a family history of kidney disease; and those who consumed more soft drinks, red meat and fast food.

In commenting on the study, Dr. Beth Piraino, president of the National Kidney Foundation, said, “We need to shift the focus from managing chronic kidney disease to preventing it in the first place.”

If you DO have kidney disease you can STILL eat LC, lots of fat, just LESS MEAT..no need to become a Vegan! ( I lost equal weight on vegetarian LCHF diet as one with meat protein AND it protected my kidney function much better.)

MORE vegetables/LC fruits can help you still stay on a LCHF diet successfully for life.

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this . I fall into all three conditions and had been a bit worried about how much protein is too much, so I will have mine checked. thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Even though I don't have any of the conditions, I appreciate that you shared this info. It's always nice to learn about new things as part of trying to understand how the human body functions and misfunctions.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm border line on diabetes, with strong family history, a patient for high blood pressure and obese. I've been at this, serious-like, since October & have dropped 38½ pounds, since then. I seem to be doing well. I'm eligible to have my labs done again, on January 7. I'm anxious for the results!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I use Phinex urinalysis strips instead of ketostix (because I already had them on hand) and it's showed trace proteins a couple of times. I'm currently looking for a new PCP but it's definitely something I'll ask about.

What's a good minimum protein level to aim for?
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    I am defiantly NOT anti Meat..and ate it when I started my Keto journey…but just trying to warn gently that this is part of consideration.

I actually DROPPED many points of function the first 3 months of LCHF and alarmed myself because I had been eating MORE bacon and meats than I was used too. ( hey, who wouldn't have lovely bacon if it's recommended??<grin>)

This was my warning that I HAD to be sure. As soon as I dropped all meat protein ( but kept high fats, svn cheese, dairy, nuts, etc) I RAISED my kidney function immediately in 30 days.

Even Dr. J. Fung says you can't fix kidney function with diet..but you can at least KEEP function with the right LC diet.

This is my only intent.. because MDs almost NEVER tell you you are Stage 3 ( of 5) you CAN harm yourself with LCHF unwittingly.

The best thing is to lose weight to unburden your kidneys of the miles of extra blood vessels per pound to be filtered..so that is the reason to STAY LC..just adjust even the Moderate meat amount to fit YOUR needs.

a "Renal Panel" blood test will also tell your Creatinine < 1.3 is good, and your eGFR..which are specific to kidney function, and AGE..use these numbers are your baseline..so you can be safe over the lifetime of this WOE.

Again, HEALTHY Kidneys have no issue, even people with past cancer are not affected...
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    Macchaitto..What's a good minimum protein level to aim for?

Livestrong.com lists 46 gr women, 56 gr men..but it varies..MOST Americans eat 90-100, double the world normal…so you can see why people can mistake how much is healthy, or even "moderate" we are used to more in general.

CKD- Chronic Kidney Disease people must severely curtail the amount of meat protein, but can have veggie protein as there is less oxidative waste to affect the kidney..

Processed lunch meats, bacon and salted meats (all meats are high in phosphorous for example) are not good for us…I specifically asked DR. Fung when I began this Keto diet if FATS were OK, and he assured me YES.. there is NO study that approves high protein for CKD, and an agreement that less is better.

because I have just one kidney, I need to be extra careful..and losing weight is my best bet overall…choosing a veggie version of LCHF worked for me, and a WOE I will keep.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-12/uomh-srn120215.php

another prevention/identification measure…..
    People with early-stage chronic kidney disease tend to not notice any symptoms. Once detected, chronic kidney disease can be treated with medicines and lifestyle changes, including healthier food and beverage choices

Study reveals non-invasive warning sign of kidney disease progression
    "...discovered a simple test to identify …...by measuring a specific molecule in a routine urine sample."