When you bring a dessert to a party ...

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
do you always explain that it's low carb and/or has artificial sweetener in it?

We're signed up to bring a dessert to my husband's staff Christmas party. There will be about 18-20 people and I don't know that anyone else there eats low carb or how many of them are OK with eating artificial sweeteners. At Thanksgiving I took an LC cheesecake and it was fine but that was a smaller gathering and there were plenty of other full-sugar desserts. I'm torn between wanting a dessert I'll be able to eat but not wanting to be the weirdo who brings a dessert no one else wants.

WDYD in these situations (especially given that it's for my husband's work and not a regular social gathering)? Maybe a naturally lower-sugar "regular" dessert and I'll just have a tiny serving, or skip dessert altogether? Plate of assorted cookies and slip in some LC ones for me?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    do you always explain that it's low carb and/or has artificial sweetener in it?

We're signed up to bring a dessert to my husband's staff Christmas party. There will be about 18-20 people and I don't know that anyone else there eats low carb or how many of them are OK with eating artificial sweeteners. At Thanksgiving I took an LC cheesecake and it was fine but that was a smaller gathering and there were plenty of other full-sugar desserts. I'm torn between wanting a dessert I'll be able to eat but not wanting to be the weirdo who brings a dessert no one else wants.

WDYD in these situations (especially given that it's for my husband's work and not a regular social gathering)? Maybe a naturally lower-sugar "regular" dessert and I'll just have a tiny serving, or skip dessert altogether? Plate of assorted cookies and slip in some LC ones for me?

Do a berry bowl. It's a win for everyone.

>:) or o:)
  • angela_carreen
    angela_carreen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I normally make a pumpkin cheese cake. None had complained! I don't even bother with a crust but I'm sure a nut one would be easy enough. I do tell people it has no sugar.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I would somehow let people know it's sugar free. They will probably assume it has artificial sweeteners then. But, the berry bowl is a great idea. No explanation necessary on that one. Layer it with whipped cream and it will be pretty too.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I make a LC dessert and print recipe cards, so everyone can see exactly what's in it. I also include the macro count, for those tracking that in their diet. I'm not making a dessert I can't enjoy, but I'm happy to ensure everyone knows what's in it in case the ingredients are an issue for anyone. I've been thanked dozens of times for the recipe cards, especially by those with allergies. They can see they can have at least one dessert/dish or know for a fact they can't. No guessing.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence. Artificial sweeteners seem to trigger a flare with my arthritis so I avoid them (I can do stevia and the natural alternatives though) but since I actively avoid them I also ask before eating or drinking anything that I didn't make. So I'm inclined to say you don't need to disclose because people with food sensitivities are usually proactive about asking before eating potluck type dishes.

Then again you may put a little card like the above said and find out more people than you think are interested in a "lighter" dessert. Especially this time of year when there are so many parties and dinners and temptation around!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I mark it as Low Carb Sugar Free Gluten Free. Then everyone avoids it thinking it'll taste like cardboard and I actually get to eat some. :P
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I always bring a recipe card and appreciate it when others do too. Me and my kids eat gluten free due to celiac disease, and one son has a tree nut allergy, so we can rarely eat treats at a buffet. It is greatly appreciated when someone labels thei food, and extra appreciated if they put their name on it so I can ensure their was no risk of cross contamination.

To be honest, I think my low carb, GF treats tend to go faster than "normal" desserts as long as I make them attractive. Then the people without issues eat it as well as the people with a stricter dietary needs.

It used to be that when people saw GF they avoided that food but the popularity of the GF diet has wrecked that for us- less for us. LOL I do find people avoid sugar-free a bit though....
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    I make a LC dessert and print recipe cards, so everyone can see exactly what's in it. I also include the macro count, for those tracking that in their diet. I'm not making a dessert I can't enjoy, but I'm happy to ensure everyone knows what's in it in case the ingredients are an issue for anyone. I've been thanked dozens of times for the recipe cards, especially by those with allergies. They can see they can have at least one dessert/dish or know for a fact they can't. No guessing.

I like this idea. :) I don't consume artificial sweeteners (and a whole bunch of other things) so to be able to see all of the ingredients would be awesome. If it was something I could eat, to have the recipe would be even better.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I love to include ingredient cards, but I hate the looks I get when I provide cards so other people can do the same. :/
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I would definitely disclose that it has artificial sweeteners if it does. I don't know if I'd go as far as including a recipe card, but definitely a little sign that says Contains: artificial sweeteners, dairy, tree nuts, gluten whatever. I am scared to eat anything I didn't make (sensitivities to sugar alcohols and pecans give me migraines) around the holidays. I know many people would appreciate having the disclosure, and it's almost impossible for it to come off as pretentious.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would let people know if it has artificial sweeteners. Someone there might be sensitive to it.