A weird question about keto and hearing

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
I have tinnitus which is a ringing in the ears. Lately I've noticed that it is not as bad. Could it be possible that keto is somehow helping?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I remember somebody mentioned an improvement in hearing. I think they were able to turn down their hearing aid.

Are you diabetic? Any symptoms of neuropathy? If so, a wild guess would be a reduction in neuropathy due to lower blood sugar levels. Maybe not ketosis per se.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've had tinnitis for decades - I haven't experienced any change (aside from one or two days where it seemed worse).

(my diabetes has been under control for 2 months, now - the same length of time I've been eating fewer than 50 net carbs.)
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    My hearing has definitely improved.
    I can hear bacon frying from just about
    anywhere in the house. >:)

My to do list... not so much.

>:) or o:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Changes in blood pressure?
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    My ears are fuzzier when I'm eating more carbs just because my allergies act up more.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have a high frequency hearing loss perhaps always but had to start using hearing aids for several years. It improved then I lost some but at this time I am hearing alarms/ringtones/etc better again. I never could hear the turn signal beeps unaided but I can hear them better now. I do not typically drive wearing my hearing aids because of the noise that I can hear.

@neohdiver below is a link on the subject and the use of systemic enzymes that may contain you can research in more detail. I have been using the old line product called Wobenzym N to reduce inflammation in my body but there are many brands of systemic enzymes.

Back when I took NSAIDS the ringing was a problem but I dropped most all types in like 2004 because of the ringing and balance issues and they cleared up.

I am new to systemic enzymes and have been testing the Wobenzym N for side effects. Currently I am taking 20 tables 4x daily. I tapered up for a few weeks and the 30 days of 80 per day will end in 5 days. Other than being more flexible and lower cholesterol I have not noticed any other major pluses and nothing negative other than the cost to do the test. :)
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I remember somebody mentioned an improvement in hearing. I think they were able to turn down their hearing aid.

Are you diabetic? Any symptoms of neuropathy? If so, a wild guess would be a reduction in neuropathy due to lower blood sugar levels. Maybe not ketosis per se.

Nope. I've never had any significant health issues. I do have gout but I think that was inherited from my Dad. My Blood Sugar, BP, Cholesterol etc have always been fine. The tinnitus started to be really noticeable within the past 18 months. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining an improvement, but I think there is a good improvement. The ringing isn't nearly as noticeable.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My ears ring most of the time too. It's maybe mildly better now, but if it is, it is small enough that I can't even be sure.