Hello all, new here

Options
kes840
kes840 Posts: 66 Member
I lost a few pounds on MFP a couple years ago but have a renewed interest in getting things in shape and feeling good for the long haul. Taking it a step at a time...I've gotten off antidepressant and sleep meds, done a course of cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia (sleeping much better now), and started a strength training program (2X a week). Ready to start looking at my nutrition now and have started to use the tracker to see where I'm at and where I might improve. Interested in sustainable changes, nothing fancy. 61 yo, 5'4, 155 lbs, most of it belly fat. Coach says I need to get stronger before restricting calories, but I think I might be okay at 1500 as long as I got enough protein in the mix. I don't want to rush things, but now that I'm feeling more in touch with my body, my gut is really bugging me.

I'd be ecstatic with a toned 140. Thanks in advance for any advice or support!

Replies

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I'm not sure why he said that but my experience with trainers was much differen. I started right off the bat in a calorie deficit and working hard doing strength training in the form of Circuit training the first year and weight lifting the second year. I had more weight to lose than you want to though so maybe that's his/her reason.............no clue.

If I were you I'd set my goals in MFP to lose .5 lb a week and go from there. Make sure you're eating enough protein and carbs to support your workouts and you should be fine.

I'm 65 and haven't had any issues keeping up with my training while losing weight. Lifting progressively heavier weights will transform your body more than just losing weight will.

Good luck!!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    welcome! I hope you find the group to your liking.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I agree with lulu. No reason you can't have a small calorie deficit and still workout. Obviously, just don't starve yourself. You have a great attitude, will serve you well.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the replies! Got my bloodwork back for the year. All is well except the doc wants to put me on a statin. I'm curious to see where I'll be once I've lost the tire...no heart disease or family history, so unless doc insists, I think I'll stay off the statin and retest in 6 months. Been tracking and avoiding junk eating for the week, and 1500ish calories seems like plenty for three squares and a couple of snacks. Need to up the protein a bit to maintain muscle, if I'm reading the research right. I eat more carbs than I thought!
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    kes840 wrote: »
    Thanks, all, for the replies! Got my bloodwork back for the year. All is well except the doc wants to put me on a statin. I'm curious to see where I'll be once I've lost the tire...no heart disease or family history, so unless doc insists, I think I'll stay off the statin and retest in 6 months. Been tracking and avoiding junk eating for the week, and 1500ish calories seems like plenty for three squares and a couple of snacks. Need to up the protein a bit to maintain muscle, if I'm reading the research right. I eat more carbs than I thought!

Sounds like an excellent plan!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Welcome. :) Good that you postponed the statin.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Enjoy yourself here !!!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group xx