Need advice on starting working out to tone up!

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
ok I'm almost to the weight I said I was going to be when I started toning my body. How did you start? Loosing my weight pretty fast I am trying to prepare myself for a stall, did u slow down on your loss when u added lifting if so how long did it last? I also eat 75f/20p/5c. On 1400 cal diet. When I start do I need to change these macros? Being a 5'2 woman what weight would u suggest I start with? Any advice you can give would be great!!! Thanks so much everyone!

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I found the book New Rules of Lifting for women to be a good resource when I first started. I wasn't on LCHF then so I can't say as to macros.

Currently my arthritis makes lifting a problem for me so I don't have much useful advice to give right now! Hopefully others will chime in!
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Thanks I'll check the book out!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com/5x5 is a very good program
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    You're welcome :)
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I second the Stronglifts...it's currently what I do...you can read the program online and he gives suggestions for modified and starting weights for women towards the end. Also there is a Stronglifts group here on mfp. Because you start out pretty light, no matter what program you chose to do, I don't think you will not need to change your macros much....I say give it a month or so to see how your energy levels are...and adjust from there. And remember to measure !!! You will see your progress there more than the scale! Good Luck !
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Lifting is something I've been interested in for a while but have made zero progress toward learning about it. @ettaterrell if you want a partner in learning, I will see if I can find that book at my library and we can get started as newbies together, if you want. Or using the stronglifts website... Either way
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Where are you going to work out? A gym?
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Sounds great to me sunny!!! Sabin I have barbells and resistant straps no gym. Sorry should have been more clear!!! Barbells weights range from 2lb to 20lbs
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I also really liked the book/program Strong Curves
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    If one can come up with something that you can do for the rest of your life it would be ideal.

We all know if we start something to only stop it at some point in time then we can become worse than before. At my age I am more interested in functional muscles than 'looking' great. While I only walk I find as my pain and weight level drops I move more accidently which helps all way around with muscle development.

Best of success.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Thanks!! It means a lot every taking their time to help me!!
  • shirleyann2013
    shirleyann2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have always belonged to a gym. And I have always enjoyed taking classes because when I'm not there people remind me to come. I have learned a lot from instructors overtime.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would recommend this for a simple yet effective beginner routine.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    What weight for Dumbbells should I start with
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Did you decide on a program? If you pick something like the 5X5, then you probably want a weight that gets you close to failure at around set 5, rep 5. :)

Personally, I'd do body-weight stuff before I picked up a dumbbell. I like exercises that don't require a gym or special equipment.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest starting with bodyweight exercise, if you're new to weight training. YAYOG (You are your own gym) is a great resource.
    Good luck!
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Great thanks yall so much for all your advice I'm going to go over all suggestions before January 4 and that's when I'm planing on starting
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of fumbling around when I first started 8 months ago but if I had to do it over I might start with NROLFW. Have fun! Lifting really will change your body. But the most important thing is to be patient because it takes time.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I tried NROLFW. I think it would have gone gone better if I could have afforded a personal trainer to help me get comfortable and and check my form. I am am planning to try YAYOG now and might try NROLFW again after that.