Best gyms in Australia? Need Advice

Options
jieyeh
jieyeh Posts: 59 Member
so I'm thinking about changing gyms. Can anyone tell me what gym they go to and the worse gym they have been to. thanks :smiley:

Replies

• noah_mac
    noah_mac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently just changed to my university gym ... cant beat $8 per week!
  • vollans
    vollans Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been using the EFM gym at my work - it may be a small gym, but lots of support and help, and has been fantastic for me. With their help and support I've lost 32kg in the last 6 months.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I use Anytime Fitness. It's pretty good. It gets crowded with buttheads during the day so I go at 4 30am and get all the equipment to myself lol.
  • jieyeh
    jieyeh Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't go to uni and work doesn't have a gym so can't use there gym haha. Wow good work losing 32 kg that's crazy!!

I'll probably sign up to anytime
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Really depends what you're after. I go to Zap, another 24 hour gym. I like having somewhere I can go near work and home as well as if I travel to other parts of the State. They have free weights and cardio stuff and I can use it any time. I don't really go much on classes anymore so I don't miss those. They're slowly adding in "functional" equipment like ropes, rings, sleds, more med balls, boxes etc. which is great for me. Equipment varies widely from site to site depending on size so make sure you check that out. I'd always advise signing up for a free trail so you can see what it's like during the hours you intend to go - equipment availability etc. Nothing worse than waiting half an hour for a squat rack
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I did Jetts for 51 months. It worked reasonably well for me. Back in late 2010, an annual membership worked out to about 94c per day if one paid up front. These days, it's about $1.28.
    I was a late night (after 10pm) or wee small hours (from 3:15am) user about two hours per session, nine to ten days per fortnight. No pressure on weights use or showers etc at those times. The handful of times I went between 6am and 8pm, there were the 16-26 year olds standing around in groups, sitting on equipment chatting but doing bugger all.
    If you're happy to avoid the mainstream hours, Jetts or Anytime Fitness have lots of locations ... ideal for holidays in other parts of Australia. Worked well for me.
    - - -

After a couple of injuries, I have now found the best gym of all ... swimming. No pressure on my joints on treadmills or weight resistance machines.
    Membership at my council pool and the other nearby/neighbouring five councils pools is set at $2.70 per day. I spend a little over two hours there every weekday morning from 5am - three hours most Saturdays and Sundays (6am & 8am respectively) and a couple of times per fortnight, I try to grab an extra 90-120 minute session.

SEVEN weeks of swimming plus 2000 calories per day has equaled to 10.4kg off ... the water resistance, even at my leisurely pace, works a treat on muscles and toning. Mind you, I exercise about 2x to 4x the minutes of most other people.

I wish I'd hit on the idea of swimming a long time before this. It might cost 2x-3x what Jetts and Anytime Fitness charge but, for sheer effectiveness and the ease of involvement, it's superb value.

n.b. It cost at least 50% more to swim in the inner suburbs of most capital cities.