Let's break the ice

Options
Clarewho
Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
I'm Clare in NW England. I run up 3 times pw up to 10k max at the moment. I'm doing a 10k in Feb. Ultimately I'm aiming to do a half next year at some point - if all goes well

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Welcome Clare! I try and run 4-5 days a week, 2-5 miles depending on the time. Trying to work up to a 10k in the spring (3/20/16).
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Helloooo.... I'm Anny. I run about 4 days week and strength train in between. Right now I run at least 6 miles each run but I'm training for my first half so I've been pushing for 10 each run.
    Focus right now is building up my mileage to a full 13.1 and then bring the focus back to speed. I'd like to get down to a 7:30 pace.
    I'm also on Instagram and post all my runs. :)
  • Clarewho
    Options
    @busyPK that's great you've plenty of time to build up to the 10k sounds like you're nearly there.
    @Libertysfate great pace and a lot of miles. I'm still very slow, 68 mins for 10k. But speed will come (hopefully)!
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    Brilliant idea @Clarewho, I'm from the NW as well. Liverpool here :-) I'm similar to yourself, run about 3-4 times per week and I'm aiming to run a half in May.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Hi James which half? I haven't committed to a date yet!
  • jameseylefebure
    Options
    I've got for the Edinburgh marathon (God bless Google lol). They have a half marathon option and seems like a lovely route, plus I was born in Scotland and been trying to get my partner up there for years!! I'm lucky that my best friend has signed up with me so I've got a training partner which I think will be pretty invaluable lol
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Lovely city and plenty of whisky. Or is it whiskey? :lol:
  • jameseylefebure
    Options
    It's Scotland. I'm pretty sure you can stumble across whiskey anywhere lol
  • Mnaminal
    Mnaminal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Melissa in Chicago, IL. I started running about 2.5 years ago for the first time in my life. I'm a 5k gal, but I'm considering a 10k next year. I miscalculated a route in Pittsburgh last month and found out I can indeed run the distance (and with an uptick in speed toward the end if placed in an unseemly neighborhood).

I do not enjoy treadmills, so winter + running is touch and go in Chicago. For the winter I'm focusing on strength training and swimming, but usually the snow storms align to allow one run per week.
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi All. Andy here, from Ottawa, Canada. I started running about 8yrs ago, when my wife asked if I wanted to join her on one of her "short" training runs. My first though was, 'how hard could this be', and I quickly realized the reality when I got my butt kicked. Since that day the challenge was on, and I have ran close to 20 half marathons, and a number of 10km races.

This past fall, I ran my fastest half ever (1:38:52), but not without some consequences. With all the training (and other races) I had done, I developed "runners knee". I am now receiving physio for it, which I am hoping will help speed up the recovery process. I am registered for the Around the Bay 30km race in April, so I hope to be able to start running again soon.

Regardless, I am here to help motivate, provide suggestions and/or feedback, but more importantly keep the running community alive. We are a breed of our own, and in my opinion...the best kind.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm Jackson. My driver's license says I'm 39. I feel like I'm 49. I act like I'm 29. I'm from northeastern USA (upstate NY).

I got into running several years ago as an alternative to cycling, which is my first love. Some times it's just too wet or snowy or muddy to ride, and I need something to do. At some point I crossed a threshold where running wasn't work. I found a rhythm with my stride and my breathing, and got to enjoy running.

I've done a few HM (both stand alone halfs, and HM distance as part of triathlons), but don't really have any desire to go further than that. I run on roads and trails, during the day and at night, pretty much year round. I'm a gearhound, so I love trying out new shoes, but find I gravitate towards light, low, neutral shoes.

I typically run in the low to mid 9-minute range... but I'm trying to get better at running by feel so I can more properly pace myself for a given distance. My 5k pace shouldn't be the same as my HM pace.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    It's great to read about what everyone else is capable of. I'm hoping to get my speed up for my 10k. I've got 2 mths and I'd like to drop 8 minutes so I can get under an hour. (Told you I was slow)! I'd love some advice on whether/how that's possible?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kevin and I'm an adult-onset runner. I live in the Rochester, NY area. In 2011, at the age of 55, I decided to see if I could become a runner. I ran for one minute . . . then had to slow to a walk. But I persevered, developed the ability to run continually, ran myself into injuries, recovered, and learned to run and train smarter.

2015 has been a breakout year for me in running. I recorded PRs at the 5K, 10K, 15K, and half marathon distances. I ran my first marathon at Buffalo. That resulted in a moral obligation to run Boston 2016. Right now I'm in the base building phase before Boston training starts in earnest on my 60th birthday.

My coach said he thinks I can run a 3 hour marathon. I don't think I believe him. My PR half marathon was 1:28:48, on a net downhill course in near perfect weather. From that time, the Jack Daniels calculator predicts a 3:05 or so marathon time; I'd be delighted with 3:15 at Boston and content with matching the 3:21 I ran at Buffalo.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    @MobyCarp that's fantastic, shows what us oldies are capable of :lol: If your coach says you can, go for it :smiley:
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Zara living down in Kent. Only been running for about 3 months currently doing 4 miles rather slowly and I've signed up for the Edinburgh half marathon at the end of May a couple of days ago.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Zara that's a great goal. A running friend was trying to persuade me to do a half next March but I think I'll probably try for one later in the year - as I know I'll find it more difficult to train over winter.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Petra. I usually run 3x a week; I'm a 5K runner. Lately I haven't been getting my runs in due to Life and my running is struggling a bit. But I run as often (per week) as I can right now and will pick up whatever I lose over time.
    I doubt if I will ever run a half marathon but have run 10K twice now, which I felt really great about.
    Melissa, I started running for the first time about 3 years ago, too. It's been a lot of fun, I've got to say.
    I haven't ever entered an official race.
  • jenthibert
    jenthibert Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Jen and live in Maine. Like Zara,@zmcgrandles, I've only been running for a few months and am a little late coming to the sport (45). So @MobyCarp, you give me hope! I wouldn't say running is my goal. I love feeling strong and healthy so I like a variety of activities.

I came to running after several long distance walking events. I ran 7 miles today at about a 9 minute pace and felt pretty good about that! I have a coach of sorts. She's wonderful and emails me workouts each week. Sometimes running, sometimes hiking and we'll be able to throw some snowshoeing in there soon too. I do run 3-4 days a week right now. Outside when I can, treadmill when it's icy.

This seems like a friendly group. Thanks for having me!
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    jenthibert wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm Jen and live in Maine. Like Zara,@zmcgrandles, I've only been running for a few months and am a little late coming to the sport (45). So @MobyCarp, you give me hope! I wouldn't say running is my goal. I love feeling strong and healthy so I like a variety of activities.

I came to running after several long distance walking events. I ran 7 miles today at about a 9 minute pace and felt pretty good about that! I have a coach of sorts. She's wonderful and emails me workouts each week. Sometimes running, sometimes hiking and we'll be able to throw some snowshoeing in there soon too. I do run 3-4 days a week right now. Outside when I can, treadmill when it's icy.

This seems like a friendly group. Thanks for having me!

Hi Jen! Welcome to the group!

As you have noticed, we have all sorts of runners here, and we welcome anyone and everyone. If we can be of help along the way, or provide any feedback and/or support, don't hesitate to reach out and someone will no doubt be of great help.

All the best!
  • kahuku
    kahuku Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am Kai. I run near Kona, Hawaii. I try to run 3-4 times a week. I am currently training for my first half marathon in March, and the Honolulu Marathon in December. I am currently working on distances, and not worrying about speed so much. I have never really enjoyed running, but for some reason it's something that I do now. I really love the races though. There is something about getting up early in the morning to go run with a large group of other runner out having fun.