Cheat meals

On keto do you have a cheat meal once every 2 weeks with lots of carbs to trick the metabolism??

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Most people I've read about find that interferes with fat adaptation and craving control. Once you're burning ketones as opposed to glucose, there's no need for tricks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited December 2015
    I find that my desire to truly eat off plan only surfaces about once every 3 months or so. A carefully controlled indulgence can shake up the metabolism, but must be used judiciously. And I agree with @kirkor, unless you're intentionally carb cycling (which would be far more often than once every two weeks), a meal off plan every two weeks would prolong the keto flu and adaption process.

I find that the more I tried to find reasons to fit in cheat meals, the less actual mental work I was doing to break my old habits and the less chances I had for long term success. I choose to eat off plan sometimes, but having a "cheating" mindset does more damage to my own mental approach to gaining health that I just can't think that way...
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Thank you for your replies. They make perfect sense.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    On keto do you have a cheat meal once every 2 weeks with lots of carbs to trick the metabolism??

Hasn't been necessary, and seems like it would do more harm than good.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member

Not for me. It would harm me. I see too many people struggling with going "off plan" to want to try it.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Absolutely no way. If I eat more than 70g carbs I feel really sick now, lethargic and cannot stop cravings - too dangerous. Im on 25g daily and may go to 40 for a special event but thats it. It took me a month to get back into ketosis after the 70g one day stint.

All about learning about our body and how we phsycologically (i know its spelt wrong) cope.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    Most people I've read about find that interferes with fat adaptation and craving control. Once you're burning ketones as opposed to glucose, there's no need for tricks.

This.. I'm only 3+ mo in diet and still loosing like I was 1st mo. With 25 lbs to go I'm sure it will slow down and when it does I will do what others have suggested before and eat maintenance for a mo. Good luck!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I've had several "cheat days" but they were more like 50-70 gm carbs in a day (and mostly under 50gm net carbs). Like others said I find I tend to struggle more with cravings if I do it too often. I guess I have a little bit of an "IIFYM" mindset within keto. I'll fit in some treats but within my macros for the most part.