What's your dessert policy?

Options
What's your dessert policy? When do you allow yourself dessert, what do you choose, and how much do you eat?

I have a fairly strong sweet tooth, which can make it challenging to be on a low carb diet, since sugar is a very dense - and addicting - carb package.

Futhermore, I love to bake! :/

Any tips?

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of low carb cheese-cake recipes out there are really good. Beware artificial sweeteners though as they can trigger major cravings for some people. I personally like my baked goods to be less sweet, so I'll often half the amount of sweetener in a recipe.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Also, dark chocolate (85%); 4g of carbs per 25g and supremely satisfying.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding them. At our company Christmas party over the weekend I did have the dessert since it was an event otherwise if I'm still feeling like I need something after dinner I just have some roasted pecans. I'm just a little scared to have some sort of dessert at home :)
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    There are a lot of low carb cheese-cake recipes out there are really good. Beware artificial sweeteners though as they can trigger major cravings for some people. I personally like my baked goods to be less sweet, so I'll often half the amount of sweetener in a recipe.

This! I don't have sweets because the 2 times in the last 3 months the artificial sugar made me so hungry.... This whole diet I've been so shocked at the lack of hunger so when the sugar sets it off I don't feel it's worth it! I haven't tried something sweet with berries yet but I plan on experimenting with their sweetness over Christmas.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    So far I've been avoiding them, aside from Fat Bombs. I've been wanting to try a LC cheesecake recipe though.

Funnily enough I noticed something yesterday. I generally don't like hot coffee. I like my cold coffee sugary. But hot, sugary coffee? gag. I decided to try a cup with heavy whipping cream instead of half and half like my fiance drinks. I put in some coconut oil, HWC, and 2 packs of splenda. I actually LIKED it! It wasn't too sweet, wasn't too black. I'm surprised the heavy cream made THAT much of a difference!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I stay away from dessert. It just starts me up with all my bad habits. Better to just see food as fuel and give myself non food rewards for now. Maybe for always. A very slippery slope for me.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Dessert is the devil.

For me. For now.

Eventually I want to make low carb cheesecake or some such, but that will be a ways away.

Yesterday I had plain yogurt with 40 grams of mashed up raspberries and no artificial sweetener. A little bland, but I was doing it more for gut health than flavor.

I still drink diet soda, and one of those after a meal seems to satisfy the sweet tooth.

Ain't addiction grand?!?!?!?!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert when I want it, which isn't often. I cut it out entirely for 14 months and pretty much lost my taste for it. I do enjoy it occasionally, especially a special occasion, and I don't stress about it either. I do try to choose something with some redeeming value... fresh fruit over cookies or cheesecake over pound cake, but that's about it. Inevitably, hubby and I will split a dessert and end up taking part of it home too. 2-4 small bites is usually enough to get an enjoyable taste without killing my macros.

I too love to bake and I've discovered that I don't care about eating what I make so much as I just want to make it. So I do and send it to work with hubby. The office is full of geeks who thrive on baked goods. That they're keto-fied baked goods is a bonus for them and they don't even notice the difference. It's like feeding my kids cauliflower in their fruit smoothies when they were little. I knew I was doing something good and they had no idea it was good for them. win-win I keep a little of whatever I bake so I can enjoy a taste and send the rest off to the pit to be devoured.

The current fave in my house is coconut cheesecake custard, which is delicious, easy to make, and surprisingly gentle on the macros. Recipe... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34759269#Comment_34759269
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    In my mind, I'm allowed to have one real dessert a week. In reality it only happened on Thanksgiving.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I try to make desserts that only become single servings, because I do have a sweet tooth, and I do react poorly to sweet things (both my guts get burbly and my brain wants more and more). So if I have a dessert I think of it as a 'sometimes food' like Cookie Monster says. If I ate dessert every night I'd end up eating all sorts of other things I don't want to.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What's your dessert policy? When do you allow yourself dessert, what do you choose, and how much do you eat?

I have a fairly strong sweet tooth, which can make it challenging to be on a low carb diet, since sugar is a very dense - and addicting - carb package.

Futhermore, I love to bake! :/

Any tips?

If you haven't already, I highly, highly recommend taking at least a month and abstaining from all sources of sugar, including fruits and artificial sweeteners. By eating them at all, you're feeding the sugar habit and basically sabotaging yourself.

Take 4-6 weeks and abstain entirely from them, then you can consider re-introducing them. Doing this resets that "sweet tooth" and breaks the addiction habit. Once you do that, you can find your personal tolerance levels and see how they affect you.

I personally don't do "desserts," generally. It's a slippery slope, and one nearly always leads to a whole container or batch (or a good portion of it). If I do decide to indulge in a sweet treat, I usually try to get the single-serve type of thing. So, instead of buying a quart of ice cream, I go to the nearby quality ice cream place and get a single scoop. Yeah, it's more expensive, but that's part of the point -- it's a deterrent to me just getting it willy-nilly, and it keeps it out of the house, in general.

I enjoy baking, too, but now, I bake for other people. I'm actually getting ready to make half a dozen pumpkin rolls this afternoon, most of which are already sold, and some of which are going to be going into my husband's work to share with his coworkers (who might buy some more). I do the same thing with things like brownies, cookies, and cinnamon rolls.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I made a keto pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving. Otherwise I have a square of 90% dark chocolate and some cashew butter most evenings before bed. No other desserts and I drink coffee and tea with no sweeteners.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat sweets because I have a sugar addiction. When I want something sweet, I typically do berries with whipped cream. I have had real desserts a few times since I started in June on very special occasions. I will have a real dessert on Christmas.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I regularly drink hot beverages with tons of Splenda - it has 1 carb per packet, and I count those. It's probably the main source of my carbs.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    If you have access to low sugar chocolate biscuits or chocolate chip cookies then all you need is whipped cream with a little vanilla in it and for the biscuits a teaspoon each of tia maria and coffee (make up a strong coffee and use the fluid) per biscuit. Put cream on a tray. Put fluids on first cookie/biscuit and cover in whipped cream. Repeat until you create a log. Leave at least 4 hours for it to soften. Optional scatter dark chocolate on top as a decoration. Yum and low sugar.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I made a keto pumpkin pecan cheesecake for Thanksgiving, too.
    I've experimented a little. The things I like the best, which don't seem to trigger too many cravings for me (though if I eat them often they do):
    * coconut chia seed pudding (sweetened with a little Splenda or liquid stevia)
    * the pumpkin cheesecake
    * a pumpkin-almond/coconut milk smoothie with liquid stevia, ice, cinnamon and nutmeg (got the recipe from someone here and it's great)
    * I've experimented a little with sugar-free Jell-O
    * a square of 85% cocoa, sometimes with peanut butter
    * fat bombs

I do also put sugar-free syrup in my coffee and sometimes I'll have a tea that's got a naturally sweet flavor. I didn't completely abstain from sweeteners when I started keto but overall the sugar cravings and food cravings/feelings of hunger in general have been a lot easier to control than on other diets.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    A couple of times a week we make a low carb chocolate milkshake. This usually satisfies the sweet tooth. We have tried some low carb recipes for baked desserts but somehow the consistency seems off or something and it's not like the real thing. The shake is closer to the real thing and is easy to just whip up in the blender.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I will only make a low carb dessert on special occasions and I really try to keep any artificial sweeteners to the bare minimum. I try to make things that don't involve a "crust" or cookies/cakes that require flours. Any I've made so far revolve around cream cheese, HWC, berries or sugar free jello (which adds more AS than I would like). But I limit this stuff to special occasions only and don't want to make desserts of any kind part of my regular diet. That's just not a good idea for me.
    I would go without before I would use any real sugar or flour for any dessert. Even in very small amounts. It's just not worth it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have dessert every single night after dinner. It's like I HAVE to have something sweet straight after. I'd love to get away from from this habit as it would save me hundreds of calories every day!! My willpower seems to be nonexistent on this one thing :disappointed:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I love it but it is dangerous for me. When I have something, whether it is coconut and cacao nibs, or a crustless sugar free cheesecake, it still leads to eating more for days afterwards. Every time. It takes me a while to get back on track.

I'm afraid of diet pop for that same reason. I haven't had a soda in 6 months. I would LOVE to have one but I know it wouldn't be just one.