Garmin Swim data!

Options
2»

Replies

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    can I use my vivoactive hr to track swim sppeds.? I've been doing step challanges but it's too hot time to get back into the pool (water temp 55)

According to the spec sheet for the HR, you should be able to track speed and laps. You'd need to know the length of your pool. I don't think it will do much for open water swimming. DC Rainmaker has a very in-depth review that shows how it works.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    So, my boss showed off his new Fenix 5X today. Looked it up. Pricey. Might put it on my gift list.
    Just spent $1000 on self defense hardware for Father's day. So maybe Christmas or my birthday.
    The 5X also loads topographical maps for hiking. Has a track back option for those who fail to stay on the trail. :D
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    So, I pulled the trigger on the Fenix 5X. Ill report back on what I think.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Fist swim with the Fenix was my second swim of the day. 40 laps, 2000 yards.
    The Fenix marked it perfectly.
  • nuffer
    Options
    If you can tolerate the band, likely you'll love it. Looks like you have the Sapphire model? I have sapphire glass on an older watch and it is the only thing on the watch that is not scratched -- the case and band are plenty banged up but the glass is spotless after years of abuse -- like wrenching on cars kind of abuse. Looks like a really nice watch and I hope you enjoy it!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    One feature I like, being at a non standard pool in China, I can set it to 22m pool length.
    So far i like not pressing a button each lap.
    A side benefit I can select which of the messaging apps buzz my wrist.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    First swim back in the US with the Fenix5X.
    Ur did something that threw me off for a minute. When i got to 3 miles the distance display switched from yards to miles. ;)
    But activity display on the app still shows yards.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    .... Maybe I'm just too old school. ...
    fishgutzy finally enters the 21st century!!!

• Robertus
    Options
    I got a Garmin 735xt for Father's Day a couple of years ago to use for swimming, biking, triathlons, daily steps, etc. Very reliable tracking distances in the pool, but I don't bother with the metrics. It's the easiest way to keep track of weekly distances swimming and biking without needing to think to much, which is not my strong suit.

For those wanting to track HR while swimming, Garmin makes a a few different chest-straps, one which is optimized for use in a pool (chlorine resistant and stays on even with lots of flip-turn kick-offs). Garmin gave me one for free to test and it works good with my Garmin watch, but I never use it because of the geek/wannbe factor, same reason why I would never put aerobars on my road bike.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    I got a Garmin 735xt for Father's Day a couple of years ago to use for swimming, biking, triathlons, daily steps, etc. Very reliable tracking distances in the pool, but I don't bother with the metrics. It's the easiest way to keep track of weekly distances swimming and biking without needing to think to much, which is not my strong suit.

For those wanting to track HR while swimming, Garmin makes a a few different chest-straps, one which is optimized for use in a pool (chlorine resistant and stays on even with lots of flip-turn kick-offs). Garmin gave me one for free to test and it works good with my Garmin watch, but I never use it because of the geek/wannbe factor, same reason why I would never put aerobars on my road bike.

Regarding HR straps, I tried to use my Polar I the pool a few years ago. Gave up because it kept flopping over in push off.
    If the Garmin swooning strap doesn't flip, I might add it.
  • Robertus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    ... One category that the Garmin Connect app lacks is personal records for various standard swimming distances. ...
    Actually, Garmin does track these automatically. On the phone app, go to Activity Stats, Select the Activity, eg, Swimming, then select View Personal Records. On the Web version, go to Trophy Case and then choose the activity.

• fishgutzy
    Options
    One thing I noticed is the Garmin calorie calculation for swimming does account for a different in effort.
    Shorter 4 mile times result in a higher calorie burn estimate than a time 5 minutes longer. It can be upwards of a 100 calorie difference.
    I Never use that number in my diary, just the MFP 141 minute number when i do 4 miles.
    It is interesting to note the though.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting a swim watch that will work for pool and open water. Not interested in heart rate just accuracy and preferably able to set a timer for intervals. Any suggestions?
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    the Fenix 5X or 5s are awesome. the HR doesn't read white swimming.
    The 5X has the added feature of typographical maps for hiking.
    Both has virtually scratch resistant sapphire glass.
    Display big enough to read workout my glasses.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    And the app gives me annual totals too so no more using an excel spread sheet to track total swim distance.
    I got my 5X mid August. Had 2 China trips since then. Still got in 330.42 miles since I got it. :D
  • nuffer
    Options
    For open water you'll need a watch that uses GPS. In the pool, an accelerometer is necessary. The DC Rainmaker site is one of the best for reviews of this kind of gear, in my opinion. Very thorough, and he puts the equipment through real-world testing. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was my very first with the new Garmin Swim :smile:

Having it on inspired me to keep going - the thought that it was tracking away, and I wanted to get some good stats for my first official garmin tracked swim :smiley:
    So since it is the first swim, I've taken a screen shot of my summary and note some general observations:

- Overall time for the distance (about 2.5 m) was 52:13. Happy with this as it's only a minute and a half away from my personal best
    -
    - Average pace over the 52 min was 2:03/100m (or 1:52 per 100 yards).
    -
    - Average number of strokes taken over the 33m length is 36 ish (18 x 2)
    -
    - The strokes per minute figure (up to 60) is definitely wrong and much lower than actual even when doubled, as I swim to a set SPM (67.5) playing in my MP3 player. Wondered about this but it turns out that the garmins tend to under report SPM due to push off the wall distance and other stuff (http://www.swimsmoothforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2804).

All in all, it's great to have another set of metrics to glance at now and then and try and figure out what to work on. I tend to be an analytical sort, so this works well for me!

My goal remains to bring down the strokes per length as well as my SWOLF, while maintaining the stroke rate!

Over 2,700 (1,351 x 2) strokes in a swim! Phew!

Swimming does work those arms!

:smile:
    jjggo1k2lo23.jpg

eo1stul7zyv9.png

7 years apart. Stroke reconstruction ongoing.
    Have slowed the stroke rate way down and working on form then will gradually try to slooowly dial the stroke rate back up, bit by bit!