artifical sweetners

Options
whats your thoughts do you use them are they wrecking our weight loss do they make you crave more unhealthy foods?

Replies

• AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use truvia very sparingly. It's yummy on my grits and in plain yogurt!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I very rarely used sugar before I started this process. Carbs were my poison. I found the pre-made protein shakes sickly sweet. I use a little monk fruit powder to make my own now. I get 4 uses from one single serving pack. I dont find that it makes me crave more sugar but everyone is different. If I noticed that I was craving sweets I would probably cut out the sweetener and see if thats the problem.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sweets were never my thing, so artificial sweeteners don't really trigger anything for me. (I use Splenda for most everything that calls for something sweet as a substitute, including in my coffee.) It's the carb-heavy stuff like pasta and potatoes that were always my Achilles' heel. I don't really crave those as much but I also avoid them like the plague because I'm afraid I'll get trapped into that cycle again.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I can have a sweet tooth, but it is usually under control. Since the surgery, my sensitivity to sweetness has increased. Savory is more my palate. I have had success when using the Stevia liquid drops while making keto-friendly treats.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda in things like my coffee or tea, but really my sugar cravings are done. As other have stated, my sweet tooth is pretty much gone now and crave the taste of real food instead.

But coffee black is not something that I can handle. I have given up the cream, but can't remove the splenda packet yet.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different in what they can live/live without. I would rather use natural sweeteners and sugar, just a lot less than consume all the sugar-free chemical ladden junk my NUT and surgeon recommends. I get sugar is a slippery slope, but sweets were never my thing either (my weakness was complex carbs and volume of food) so I don't get triggers from it. Plus I despise the taste of all fake sugars and can detect them from a mile away. I can sort of tolerate Stevia, sometimes, most of the time I find it too sweet. In general I found just using a lot less of the real thing works for me.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Robin. Also, when I cut out artificial sweeteners about two years ago & all migraines & headaches disappeared. If I happen to get something with artificial sweeteners, they all taste like chemicals to me-I stop after one bite or sip. I drink my tea plain & coffee (2 cups a day, but I'm not back on coffee yet post surgery) with a whisper of sugar. Sweet things are not a trigger for me, so it has worked. Part of this whole journey for me has been an attempt to get all-around healthier.