Deadlift help please

Options
siany01
siany01 Posts: 319 Member
I did the dead lift today and I do them side on to the mirror so I can make sure I am not rounding my back. I dont watch on every one but check on a few when I hit the bottom and top that my back is straight which it is.

Looking at this Rachel Cosgrove video I seem to keep to this form and when I have done it with my trainer he said I had perfect text book form (though my weights have doubled since I did them with him).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il23QYhVCzQ

However, I am getting an ache in my lower back after I have finished and through the day so I must be doing something wrong.

Any advice at all on what I could be doing wrong?

Replies

• rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi. It may not be form that is causing the back ache, but tight hamstrings, glutes and hips. Try stretching (a lot), your legs and hips as well as your lower back. Also, if you have a foam roller, roll out your hamstrings. If you have a lacrosse ball ($3), put that under your butt (one cheek at a time) and roll out your glute muscle.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    A weak core can also be the cause of this........lots of people don't realize how much core you use in these heavy lifts DL's & squats especially! Def still do the stretching and such, but I am willing to bet as your core gets stronger you will notice this diminish......
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. I do stretch out at the end of my workout but maybe I need to do more. They have foam rollers at my gym so I shall have to have a look up and see what I need to do with them.

My core isn't the strongest. Its better than it was 8 weeks ago when I started working out again but its not as strong as it should be. I will make a mental effort to engage it before I lift. (pretty sure I do it automatically but doesn't hurt to check these things)

Thank you .
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I wish they had foam rollers at my gym! :grumble:
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I first started DLs about a month ago I got that backache too. From doing back squats and just engaging my core and glutes as much as possible in my DLs I've noticed I don't get that anymore. Now my *kitten* is just sore lol
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I really had a hard time with proper deadlift form - sometimes "body mechanics" can interfere.

I am very long-legged and very-short-torsoed - so, recognize this may NOT be your "body-type".

In any event, when I deadlift, I REALLY have to focus on PUSHING BUTT BACK, first. Tighten up not ONLY core, but ALSO glutes. And then do the movement. I bet I went 9 months before REALLY pushing butt back - I THOUGHT I was, but then i had someone actually MOVE my butt to where it should be and I was like "WHOA" - INSTANTANEOUS glute/hamstring engagement.

LEARNING IS AWESOME!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    ^^^Beeps said everything I was going to say. Push those hips waaaay back and then when you go to lift, focus on bringing them forward before you straighten your knees.
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/