Improper Forms...

Options
elga_thres
elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
Hi! Recently, I stopped working with a personal trainer and began a new program. I have to problem doing what's already been taught, but when I tried something new I have to remind myself not to be frustrated when I learn the proper form. Sometimes, I know how an exercise theoretically should be done. However, I can't execute it as well as I would love to. Sometimes I think I know how to do it, but I turn out to be wrong. Have you ever experienced it?

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience - I have done bodypump for a few years, and thought that my form for squats etc was pretty good. When I started doing SL, I was devastated to learn that my form was no where near as good as I thought. In fact, I was so bothered about the fact I had spent 3 years doing things wrong, that I actually started to cry in the gym - not a good look!

Now, I see it all as just part of "learning". My form is now pretty reasonable, and I can lift weights that I would never have dreamed of before. I don't do bodypump anymore because I think I will get frustrated going back and am worried that I would go back to those bad habits, and there is certainly still room for improvement from where I am now, but I have got the mindset that from here on, I will learn things the proper way, and I will get better at it.

Look forwards, not back. Smile and when it all comes together and you catch sight of the perfect lunge, or well placed arms on the olympic bar, etc, you'll have a little victory all of your own!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Go over to the Stronglifts 5x5 for women site https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women. They have a thread on form. Video tape yourself and people will check it out and give you feedback.
  • elga_thres
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    I had a similar experience - I have done bodypump for a few years, and thought that my form for squats etc was pretty good. When I started doing SL, I was devastated to learn that my form was no where near as good as I thought. In fact, I was so bothered about the fact I had spent 3 years doing things wrong, that I actually started to cry in the gym - not a good look!

Now, I see it all as just part of "learning". My form is now pretty reasonable, and I can lift weights that I would never have dreamed of before. I don't do bodypump anymore because I think I will get frustrated going back and am worried that I would go back to those bad habits, and there is certainly still room for improvement from where I am now, but I have got the mindset that from here on, I will learn things the proper way, and I will get better at it.

Look forwards, not back. Smile and when it all comes together and you catch sight of the perfect lunge, or well placed arms on the olympic bar, etc, you'll have a little victory all of your own!

Thank you for your encouraging words...☺
  • elga_thres
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Go over to the Stronglifts 5x5 for women site https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women. They have a thread on form. Video tape yourself and people will check it out and give you feedback.

Thank you! I'll check it out!
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Even after years of weight training I find my form can just progressively slip. Every few months or so I lgrab lighter weights and focus on going really slowly and properly, rather than trying to lift as much as possible. Also helps to train with a friend, someone who would be comfortable telling you if you're a little wonky.
  • amandadunwoody
    amandadunwoody Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm at the pre-beginner stage, so this is interesting to hear that ladies who are much more advanced still struggle.

Last year I was using an app on my phone to try to get to 100 pushups and as I approached the end of the program my husband saw me and corrected my form. It was so demoralizing because that seemingly small change made a big difference in the difficulty for me.

I try to have a good attitude about learning. It's a lifelong process of healthy living and working towards my unique goals.