Eating clean?

Options
Hi all
Im new to MFP and i am trying the clean eating approach. Can anyone possibly give me some advice around it pls and can i add anyone that has an open diary?
Thank you x

Replies

• RuthDuckless
    RuthDuckless Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want to friend me maybe we can help each other. I am just coming back to MFP and trying clean eating this time. :)
  • sharlaggg1
    sharlaggg1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Clean eating isn't that hard ladies. Please just start reading your labels and realize that everything has some form of sugar in it, whether it be corn syrup or some sort of modified corn flour etc. That all will make you fail.
  • RuthDuckless
    RuthDuckless Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to friend me so we can share what helps us just send me a message here.
  • rosetigger
    rosetigger Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to friend me so we can share what helps us just send me a message here.

• rosetigger
    rosetigger Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am looking for more friends for my site. I don't have very many.
    Would love to add you.
  • nurseadair
    nurseadair Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've joined this group because I would like to know/understand what "clean eating" is. My Doctor has asked my to lower my cholestrerol but also to increase my calcium. Any help or advice would be great. Thank you
  • MeSkinny115
    MeSkinny115 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi!

I'm restarting the MFP again after the holidays. I'm doing the clean eating as well. In my opinion, clean eating is eating foods that are close to natural as possible with all food groups. Meaning, stay away from unnecessary fillers and preservative and fats (including oil, lard, etc) and opt for more natural home cooked meals with sensible use of oils like olive oil and coconut oil to name a few. Home cooking is also a great way to eat clean. This way we know exactly what we are using and putting into our body.

This doesn't mean we cant use convenience and buy frozen yet sensible things like vegetables and fish and such, since like all diets and lifestyle changes, its easier said than done.

So my clean eating menu for anyone that might need an example. This is my day today but most are similar to today.

For breakfast I had a small glass of light vanilla Soy milk, two hard boiled eggs and one banana
    Lunch will be the spring mix salad, light honey mustard, croutons and some chicken
    Snack is soaked raw almonds. 1 serving. (the soaked almonds keep you full longer+ it gives you energy)
    Dinner will be 1 chicken breast grilled (so no oil is necessary) 2 cups Normandy blend vegetables and 1 serving of light honey mustard dressing for some tang.

Good luck everyone. Hope this helps!

• cathyb0822
    cathyb0822 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm restarting the MFP again after the holidays. I'm doing the clean eating as well. In my opinion, clean eating is eating foods that are close to natural as possible with all food groups. Meaning, stay away from unnecessary fillers and preservative and fats (including oil, lard, etc) and opt for more natural home cooked meals with sensible use of oils like olive oil and coconut oil to name a few. Home cooking is also a great way to eat clean. This way we know exactly what we are using and putting into our body.

This doesn't mean we cant use convenience and buy frozen yet sensible things like vegetables and fish and such, since like all diets and lifestyle changes, its easier said than done.

So my clean eating menu for anyone that might need an example. This is my day today but most are similar to today.

For breakfast I had a small glass of light vanilla Soy milk, two hard boiled eggs and one banana
    Lunch will be the spring mix salad, light honey mustard, croutons and some chicken
    Snack is soaked raw almonds. 1 serving. (the soaked almonds keep you full longer+ it gives you energy)
    Dinner will be 1 chicken breast grilled (so no oil is necessary) 2 cups Normandy blend vegetables and 1 serving of light honey mustard dressing for some tang.

Good luck everyone. Hope this helps!

Yes, I must say, as a lurker on this site simply because I have an interest in learning more about this "phenomenon" your menu was quite helpful. I have been working on developing a more healthful lifestyle and in the past 1.75 years (started May '14) I have lost 80 pounds and gone from not being able to walk more than 100 feet without stopping because of back pain and shortness of breath, to being able to easily do 2 - 3 mile walks and about 45 minutes on elliptical. I have done this through nutrisystem (NS). I'm getting to the point that the processed foods are just not cutting it for me anymore and I think I have a fairly good understanding of portion control, at this point. So, within the next couple of months I want to transition from NS to home cooked meals.

Your menu sounds simple enough. Do you snack at all in between your meals? That is one thing I have gleaned from NS, the fact that eating something about every 3 hours is helpful. I have maintained a calorie intake of 1200 - 1300 per day. NS entrees are supplemented with salads, protein and fruit during the day along with lots of water.

Thanks for your posting and any other information you -- or anyone else who reads this -- can provide. I've done some googling of clean eating, but not a lot. Thanks, Cathy B.
  • 24DragonRose
    24DragonRose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    nurseadair wrote: »
    Hi, I've joined this group because I would like to know/understand what "clean eating" is. My Doctor has asked my to lower my cholestrerol but also to increase my calcium. Any help or advice would be great. Thank you

Hi to lower your cholesterol you want to eliminate meat and dairy type products my step dad had to do the same thing I know he started off with not esting red meat then got rid of the other meats then fish and then cheese and ice cream and then he was eventually vegan by the time he got his cholesterol down to right level and him and my mom were then vegan for years. His cholesterol level ave been really good for years now so they do now incorporate some meat and cheese in their diets now but just now on a everyday basis.

To increase calcium intake eat for green veggies like broccoli, spinage, kale, any green veggies and you can google what veggies have highest source of calcium.

Did your dr not give you any recommendations on what to or how to eat or refer you to some one who could could who is a professional... esp since it's having to do with lowering your cholesterol?

Hope this helps!!
  • 24DragonRose
    24DragonRose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am looking to add more friends also, new to the site. I havent been able to figure out how add people that say they want friends either seems all I can do is send them an email through the site. I can't get to there profile page.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    A big help for me is Clean Eating magazine. I subscribed for a few years. Then when I went pescatarian many of the recipes didn't work for me, so I have gotten a few vegetarian/vegan cookbooks and use those. (I love The Easy Vegan Cookbook by Kathy Hester, even though we're my not vegan.)

My general default when I'm not feeling creative is a veggie stuffed portobello mushroom (sauté some onion, throw in some spinach, throw in some left over brown rice or quinoa, spices, maybe some parmesan or feta sprinkled on top... stuff and bake the whole thing), with half a baked sweet potato or baked winter squash, or root vegetables, and a side salad. Most things just go in the oven, just a matter of timing when you put them on the foil lined baking sheet.

I just buy the best quality single ingredient stuff I can find. I buy organic when given the choice. I watch the packaging (BPA free, etc). I buy the best I can afford and just what I need. But I'm lucky that I have the time to grocery shop every other day if I want, so I have very little waste. And hubby happily eats left overs for lunch. (Just the 2 of us to feed.) I found coming a creative outlet, so i enjoy making things from scratch without convenience foods.

• MeSkinny115
    Options
    Hi cathyb0822,

I'm glad my menu was helpful. I usually only have my one snack around 2:00pm. For me, there isn't a big need for one. My breakfast is usually around 08:30 am so I'm pretty full until lunch that's around 11:30. My snack holds me over until i can get home and get dinner started. I guess, looking at my post here, it almost seems like I eat something about 3 hours apart.

I tried NS for sometime a few years ago. It was very helpful, but my body couldn't handle all the fiber from them. I absolutely loved their pound cake desert though.

For the clean eating part, personally, it sounds easy, especially when it comes to meat. We can bake/grill chicken, fish and steaks. For the other stuff, I've looked up some vegan foods. Technically, vegan foods seem to be more wholesome based with little process and additives. But to not break my bank, I just buy the usual healthy meats (chicken breast in bulk) and vegetables and add fruits, nuts and berries for snacks.

The hard part I find is staying away from chocolate. To help with that, I drink cinnamon tea. Its supposed to help curb sugar cravings. I'm not sure if it works or if it's a placebo effect, it works.

It really is easier said than done. I tend to make my meal schedule in MFP in morning for the entire day so i can at least stay on schedule. but when someone bring donuts to work, I do use a knife, cut a small piece and eat it, with a glass of water right after so i don't go back for more. This is followed my eaters remorse and I try to work off the extra unwanted calories.

Good luck with everything. It's wonderful to hear about your progress. I think you're actually motivating me to start walking more than I have been.

R,
    Simna J
  • MeSkinny115
    Options
    Hi cathyb0822,

I'm glad my menu was helpful. I usually only have my one snack around 2:00pm. For me, there isn't a big need for one. My breakfast is usually around 08:30 am so I'm pretty full until lunch that's around 11:30. My snack holds me over until i can get home and get dinner started. I guess, looking at my post here, it almost seems like I eat something about 3 hours apart.

I tried NS for sometime a few years ago. It was very helpful, but my body couldn't handle all the fiber from them. I absolutely loved their pound cake desert though.

For the clean eating part, personally, it sounds easy, especially when it comes to meat. We can bake/grill chicken, fish and steaks. For the other stuff, I've looked up some vegan foods. Technically, vegan foods seem to be more wholesome based with little process and additives. But to not break my bank, I just buy the usual healthy meats (chicken breast in bulk) and vegetables and add fruits, nuts and berries for snacks.

The hard part I find is staying away from chocolate. To help with that, I drink cinnamon tea. Its supposed to help curb sugar cravings. I'm not sure if it works or if it's a placebo effect, it works.

It really is easier said than done. I tend to make my meal schedule in MFP in morning for the entire day so i can at least stay on schedule. but when someone bring donuts to work, I do use a knife, cut a small piece and eat it, with a glass of water right after so i don't go back for more. This is followed my eaters remorse and I try to work off the extra unwanted calories.

Good luck with everything. It's wonderful to hear about your progress. I think you're actually motivating me to start walking more than I have been.

R,
    Simna J
  • doxeposse
    doxeposse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open to friends. I try to eat clean, but I am an omnivore, so I eat meat and veggies. Organic, non processed is what I strive to consume every day. My husband has an anemia condition, so going vegan isn't an option in the household, and truthfully, I love a good steak too much!