Which method do you use to track your ketos?

reblazed
reblazed Posts: 255 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
Blood, breath or urine? Why did you choose that method?
I've only been on this WOE for a week and don't know if I'm even in ketos (or however it's worded) :) The whole thing IS working ... I have lost 11 lbs but I'd like to track the ketos adaptation, too. Also, how long did it take for you to get there, please.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Urine with ketostix. It is the cheapest and simplest way for me to check every once in a while.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Ketone strips, I just bought some today and haven't had the chance to try them yet. I keep chugging water lol I'm so excited to use them
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    i have the ketonix (breath) but I rarely use it. Almost never now. Was the most cost effective method since hubby and I were both keto when I originally bought it (he's not now though - he's almost done his first full round of p90x3 and found a couple of weeks in that he felt much better on carbs)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I already had a 100-pack of these (b/c they're way cheaper than buying the home UTI test kits) so that's what I've been using. I checked every day the first week or two and sporadically since then:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Urinalysis-Reagent-Strips-Parameters/dp/B009WW455I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450574440&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=phinex+10+parameter+urinalysis+reagent+strips
    (Mine were the Phinex brand but I can't find those on Amazon now. They're the 10 parameter strips like these though.)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    The strips are what I used in the beginning to detect the ketones in my urine. It's motivating to see the strips turn purple. But, once you become adapted the amount of ketones in the urine will decrease even though your still in ketosis. The strips may not get as purple then. As long as you keep carbs low, moderate protein, and fat high you will be in ketosis. Best of luck!
  • reblazed
    Thanks, everyone. Another question, does everyone get keto flu when the go into ketosis?
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    No because I eat salt, magnesium, and tons of water.

I also don't need to measure ketones - eat 20 grams total carbs or less and you're in ketosis.

Someday in the future in maintenance I will begin to measure ketones as I increase my carbs a bit. Then I will want to know how many carbs I can eat and remain in ketosis.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Keto flu can be avoided by consuming 4000-5000mg of sodium daily. Seems like a lot, but we are losing it through our urine while in ketosis. Adding magnesium, and potassium supplements can help too.

Side note:
    I use salt tablets (don't always feel like eating food to increase this), and magnesium and potassium supplements to try to keep my electrolytes in check. If I slack on this I will have leg cramps, even after 10 months of being in ketosis.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I used urine test strips and blood testing when I first started. I had measurable ketones within the first 24 hours. I started out around 10-15g carbs. I already had the Keto sticks and blood meter because my daughter is T1D, probably wouldn't have bought one just for this.
    I had no "Keto flu" symptoms at all. That term actually makes me crazy because it seems to make people think it's just a normal part of the process or something. It doesn't have to be. Just get 4000-5000mg sodium and take a good magnesium supplement and the only thing you may experience at all would be the carb withdrawal. Which in my opinion will make you realize what a grip it had on you and make you want to steer clear from then on.
    Anyway, keep the carbs down and don't try to fit in tiny amounts of sugar, grains or starches and you won't need to wonder if you've achieved ketosis. It will be unavoidable.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I didn't get the keto flu too bad. I read posts on here and had lots of sodium, drank plenty of water. I had a fair amount of Powerade Zero, too; not sure if that's really recommended but my BP tends to run low and my electrolytes seem to get thrown off a bit easily.
  • reblazed
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I use salt tablets (don't always feel like eating food to increase this), and magnesium and potassium supplements to try to keep my electrolytes in check.
    Great idea! I've gotten to a little over 4000mg with diet but couldn't figure out how to do the rest without going over on my numbers. Thanks

Anyway, keep the carbs down and don't try to fit in tiny amounts of sugar, grains or starches and you won't need to wonder if you've achieved ketosis. It will be unavoidable.
    I didn't realize that ... thanks.

macchiatto wrote: »
    I didn't get the keto flu too bad. I read posts on here and had lots of sodium, drank plenty of water.
    I've yet to experience even a hint of keto flu ... but like you I drink plenty of water ((3+ qts daily). Maybe that's why.

Thank you all for your responses
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Used sticks when I first started and still have 3/4 bottle left.. I do low carb so I know i am in it and the only time I have tested would be if I have eaten out and dint know what's used to flavor meat I've eaten.
  • reblazed
    Thanks for mentioning that ... I may never have even considered that part. :o
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Less than 20 grams gross or net carbs? Ie do you include fibre in your count of 20g.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    I am below 20 with counting fiber but most days it wouldn't mater I'm below with or with out fiber
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    I've been using blood test strips, damn they are expensive!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited December 2015
    wtskinner wrote: »
    I've been using blood test strips, damn they are expensive!

One of the main reasons I haven't done that from the get go!

Jimmy Moore did a recent Periscope on the cheapest way to get strips. IIRC it was a foreign order - Australia I think (forgive my US centrism) - way cheaper than Amazon.

I don't try and "dance around the edge" of ketosis by doing carbs in the 50 to 100 range (perfectly acceptable for many, but unworkable for me because of insulin resistance and morbid obesity).

Keeping below 20 or 25 grams total I know I'm good, although I must admit to frequent curiosity as to my betahydroxybutetate levels in association with how I feel and think.

My weight loss has slowed a bit 6 months into this, and I'm about 50 lbs or so from where I want to be. In maintenance or close I think blood testing really becomes valuable.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    I used urine test strips and blood testing when I first started. I had measurable ketones within the first 24 hours. I started out around 10-15g carbs. I already had the Keto sticks and blood meter because my daughter is T1D, probably wouldn't have bought one just for this.
    I had no "Keto flu" symptoms at all. That term actually makes me crazy because it seems to make people think it's just a normal part of the process or something. It doesn't have to be. Just get 4000-5000mg sodium and take a good magnesium supplement and the only thing you may experience at all would be the carb withdrawal. Which in my opinion will make you realize what a grip it had on you and make you want to steer clear from then on.

I'm glad you said this about keto flu, I had about 30 minutes on day 3 when I felt less than perfect, but other than that, I have never had any problems on keto. I thought I was the only one - like I was made for keto!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Listen to all these lovely people on how to avoid the keto flu. Wish I had been here before I started. I was miserable on day 2 and 3. Severe headache, no energy and at one point thought I was dying from carb withdrawal. I did the broth, but I didn't up my sodium enough to avoid. My husband never had the flu when we started. I have since quit griping about how he salts EVERYTHING. I think that was his saving grace during the induction phase. Salt away, salt away! But by day 4 I felt fantastic. Now the only problems I have is when I eat something I know I shouldn't usually in the form of a bakery product. I feel bloated, gassy, sluggish and miserable for the rest of the day. Lesson learned.

I use ketostix for urine. I just check every once in awhile usually during first bathroom break of the day when urine is most potent. Usually shows med me. I've only hit that dark purple high level once or twice. Normally I can tell by the funky taste in my mouth when my ketones are high. My sweat also smells different now.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    My husband had keto flu for about a week. I never had it. I didn't even know it was a thing until he complained about it. To be frank, I've never felt better than I have since I started eating VLCD in September.